Good morning!!!!

/ Good morning!!!! #159,291  
Morning all, 30 going up to a blazing 35 and heavy winds.
Just heard another Ash fall, loudly.

Yesterday in the evening I saw large birds way up in the trees.
Ends up it was about a dozen turkeys, didn't know they went up so far. Hard to take a picture, it was getting dark.

3 red tails circling this morning, riding the wind currents, they seemed to be having fun.

Drew - safe trip and hope it warms up down there.

Foam boards arrive Tuesday.

Off to the gun range later. Wife say she wants to rent one of those guns like on tv :cool:

Be well,

Turkey in the tree top.
20221119_170332.jpg

/ Good morning!!!! #159,292  
Good morning to all! Low of 10°, going up to around 40°. Didn't get above 35° yesterday with a brisk breeze making it feel even colder. No precip in the forecast for the next few days.

The dog food production went very well as usual. Actually a little easier since I had found the ground turkey.... saved us from grinding 12lbs of chicken. Max will be happy for another 6 weeks.

Wifey requested another project.... a small raised platform for the Christmas tree. It will be squared on one side, rounded across the front. The square part fitting into a corner. Should be interesting......

I still haven't got to make the 2 small shelves she requested weeks ago.... I better get to making them or I might have to make a dog house.... to sleep in!

Need to bring in more pellets.... the stove has been eating them fairly quickly.

The neighbor called me last night... wants me to go over and give her ideas for a roof over a horse run in. She told me that she paid some guy $1500 to assemble a bunch of "retriever panels". I had to look them up.....

They are pre-made metal / wire fence panels that bolt together to each other....
I think she got taken paying that much for labor just to hook them together....

I don't think she understands that the framing for the roof should have gone up first..... As much as I would like too, I'm not going to do any work on this project!

I just don't understand why people out here literally put a bunch of crap together and call it good, spending $$$ for half arsed projects, then spending more time, money, and effort when it doesn't work out and try to fix it. For what she has spent on the project so far, she could be 3/4 of the way into a beautiful stable / pole barn. My philosophy is to "do it right the first time".

The first run-in they made wasn't anchored to the ground .... 16'x16', simple one slope roof. The first wind storm flipped it over twice. Then they used mobile home screw anchors to hold it down.....

Need to go to Wally World this morning for a few items, then Harbor Freight for a couple items.

Everyone have a great day!

/ Good morning!!!! #159,293  
Think I will leave the outlet boxes on the wall as they are Nailed to the cement block and can't see how to remove them unless I drill them out.
If you go in that direction, extensions are available for the receptacle boxes to bring them flush with the foam, or whatever goes over the foam.

/ Good morning!!!! #159,294  
If you go in that direction, extensions are available for the receptacle boxes to bring them flush with the foam, or whatever goes over the foam.
I find HD's pricing laughable.
The 1/2 in. 1-Gang Electrical Receptacle Box Extension Ring Model# 00004 is $1.46
The 1-Gang 1/2 in. Electrical Receptacle Box Extension Ring (5-Pack) Model# HD50004 is $11.55 (=$2.31@)
So pay more for each if you buy in bulk!

/ Good morning!!!! #159,295  
Good morning! 19 now, high of maybe 28 today. Was 14 when we got out of bed. Had weather alerts for a snow squall last night….was more like a light dusting.

Yesterday was mainly the upstairs bathroom remodel. My nephew just appeared in the driveway at 1, said he had the afternoon free so he could do the floor. Took him longer than he thought it would, but he did very good work and actually did more than we had asked him to do.

After my sister passed, there was a lot of concern what would happen with my nephew. He was a mess. But he seems to have found a niche and I was impressed with his work ethic and methodical workmanship. He was doing a siding project outside all week, did our bathroom yesterday, was doing a sun room floor today, and either back to the siding project next week or an apartment remodel.

To sure what today will bring….

Everyone stay safe out there!

/ Good morning!!!! #159,296  
After thinking a bit, I think I will drill them out so I can replace with Tapcon screws.
It will look neater and if I decide to frame it, will be much easier.

I think LS story on the neighbor was the tipping point. It will take more hours, but make it a cleaner looking project.

/ Good morning!!!! #159,297  
Good Morning!!!! 48F @ 7:16AM.
Mostly sunny. High 64F. Winds light and variable.

One of the home control devices I started out with used Bluetooth, Drew, and the range between devices was pretty limited. It would go through one wall, maybe two at most. They've all been replaced by WiFi devices. Hope your trip goes smoothly.

Almost makes me wonder if maybe your place was built on an old Indian mound or something, Mike...

The last hard drive I grew out of got processed through the camp fire to destroy the data. Then into the garbage, which I'm told is sorted and recycled. I have a big electromagnet, but I didn't trust it to work through the metal case of the drive.

Made some progress on the red bike yesterday, finishing up on the transmission installation. Pulled the swing arm and final drive off, separated the two, and discovered that the final drive is very stiff to rotate. And that was the resistance I felt in trying to rotate the rear wheel, not the transmission. So now I need to figure out if the seemingly excess resistance is OK or not. I have another final drive with which to compare it, and then there are the online gurus to consult...

Went to draw a bucket of water yesterday only to find that hardly any water was coming out. Went outside to the small storage tank and it was still full. As I stepped down the "stairs" of cinder blocks, the top one twisted out from under my foot, and I came down like the proverbial stack of bricks. Landed a glancing blow on my left hip, and the abrasive block I grazed ground a nice big strawberry on my butt cheek. Also stove in my left hand and arm a bit, and got a bit of whiplash to my neck. So I'm taking it easy today. No, we don't bounce like we used to...

A friend from SoCal arrived without getting lost; was a bit big eyed about how far out in the sticks this place is. Had a bit too much revelry around the camp fire (first of the season, as the burn ban has been lifted), and slept in a bit this morning. Breakfast soon. Not sure what the day will bring, but will probably involve motorcycles.

Hope everyone enjoys the rest of the weekend.

/ Good morning!!!! #159,299  
Went to draw a bucket of water yesterday only to find that hardly any water was coming out. Went outside to the small storage tank and it was still full. As I stepped down the "stairs" of cinder blocks, the top one twisted out from under my foot, and I came down like the proverbial stack of bricks. Landed a glancing blow on my left hip, and the abrasive block I grazed ground a nice big strawberry on my butt cheek. Also stove in my left hand and arm a bit, and got a bit of whiplash to my neck. So I'm taking it easy today. No, we don't bounce like we used to...
Dang!
Take care, your a valuable source of knowledge on TBN.

/ Good morning!!!! #159,300  
"I took platters out and made them unreadable, like with a hammer."

I used to have a buddy who had a business buying surplus government computers. Some of the computers came from classified offices. If they had hard drives in them, they took them out, laid them on the floor and hit them with one of those geologists hammers with the pointy end. They thought that made them fairly hard to read.

Chris