Pouring hydr oil from a 5-gal pail

/ Pouring hydr oil from a 5-gal pail #1  

Sodo

Elite Member
Tractor
Kubota B-series & Mini Excavator
Pouring oil from a 5-gal pail. Unless you're born yesterday, here's how it goes: So it doesn’t “glug” you position the spout on the top and try to guess the long arc that the stream will take to the filler hole. Hoping to adjust with minimal spillage. Of course it makes a mess, but you do get the whole stream going in. You’re good.
But then you have to stop.
Hmmmmm prob needs a little bit more, right? So you start up the arc again. More spilling. Dang shoulda got the funnel.... but gotta clean the danged funnel ‘cuz it's got visible dust on it. Maybe spilling is faster than pre-cleaning a funnel.

Anyway, it's much “handier” to pour with the spout right into the hole, in a controlled manner, from a vented container. But that requires a vent. And you’re not afraid of the drill (the 20v).

5-gal-vent1.jpg

Drill a 1/2" hole and snap this vent in first thing, before you pour the first gallon.
These yellow vents are all over the internet, search "fuel can vent". They double the pour speed of your fuel cans that are slow ‘cuz they vent back thru the spout.

I got a bag of 10 yellow vents for $9.

If you're gonna pour all 5 gallons & discard the pail, maybe you just drill or punch the hole & don't bother with the snap-in vent.

But if all you need is to “top up” a couple qts, you will be happy to see this yellow vent …. next time you pick up this pail. Especially if a 5 gallon pail lasts a year or 2. Maybe you don’t even need a funnel. Easier and less mess next time too. And the next. Work smarter not harder. 👍🏽👍🏽

Last edited:
   / Pouring hydr oil from a 5-gal pail #2  
Do you remove the lid first, then drill the hole, then put the lid back on?

If not, how do you ensure than no plastic swarf falls into the pail?

/ Pouring hydr oil from a 5-gal pail #4  
I first pour it into a smaller oil can that has one of those long adjustable filler necks on it. On my skidsteer, the hydraulic fill point is in the cab behind the seat - can’t fit/tilt a large container.

Edit - like this:

9F1CB4CE-404F-4D6E-B9F5-5363B5277344.png

/ Pouring hydr oil from a 5-gal pail
Do you remove the lid first, then drill the hole, then put the lid back on?
If not, how do you ensure than no plastic swarf falls into the pail?
First of all, if you drill carefully the plastic is mostly together and it comes out the top.
It depends somewhat on the kind of drill bit you use.
A step-drill woud prob make lots of smaller bits.

But can plastic swarf cause any problems? What problem?
They can't get past a screen and if they did, they can't be small enough to get past a hydraulic filter.
And they float.

You could take the lid off but you're not saving time & effort anymore. Prob takes much more time than all the other methods (except for pouring with the spout on top, and rotating as the level goes down, etc).

IMHO it's more important to spend any extra time... in periodically sucking the layer of dirt off the bottom of the tank.

Last edited:
   / Pouring hydr oil from a 5-gal pail
I just pour it with the spout on top vertically... No issue.
That's what you do when theres no vent but it's more difficult.
Its almost always easier to pour clean with the spout at the bottom.

I bet if there was a vent you wouldn't invert.😉
Anyway this is just a shop tip, not a requirement.

yellow vent caps.jpg

And you do have to plan ahead and have the vents on hand, and proper holes etc.

If you were drilling a gasoline can, maybe 31/64??
But I've been drilling 1/2" and they fit tight and don't spin etc.

Last edited:
   / Pouring hydr oil from a 5-gal pail #9  
As previously mention just roll the bucket around so the pour spout is at the top of the cover and pour,
no gurgling or slugging just a good steady pour.