New log splitter control valve.

/ New log splitter control valve. #1  

melvinhatcher

Bronze Member
Tractor
1948 John Deere M and 2016 Kubota L3301
I installed a new control valve on my 20 ton MTD log splitter. My problem is; the piston retracts when it should apply pressure to split wood.
Is there a method/adjustment to reverse the piston’s direction when the control valve is activated?

/ New log splitter control valve. #3  
Yes reverse hoses to ram... IF you have solid line from valve to ram and operation is reversed the you might have wrong valve...
Got pictures of you setup..... MDT make splitters for many different companies under many brand names and generally use same valve on all units....

Last edited:
   / New log splitter control valve. #4  
I assume it then extends when you activate what should be retract.

If yes....then as others have said, reverse connections.

Pictures would do wonders

/ New log splitter control valve.
Yes reverse hoses to ram…
Hoses to ram are solid metal lines which cannot be reversed.
... IF you have solid line from valve to ram and operation is reversed the you might have wrong valve...
This describes my problem.
Got pictures of you setup..... MDT make
It is raining today therefor, I will try to take pictures and post them tomorrow.
splitters for many different companies under many brand names and generally use same valve on all units....
This cause me to wonder if the valves have internal adjustments to change fluid flow to the ram depending on the splitter application???
I want to thank everyone for their time and thoughts on how to help me in situation.

Last edited:
   / New log splitter control valve. #6  
Let us know the solution.

/ New log splitter control valve. #7  
This cause me to wonder if the valves have internal adjustments to change fluid flow to the ram depending on the splitter application???
I want to thank everyone for their time and thoughts on how to help me in situation.
Typically there is no internal adjustment that can change valve operation to how "A" and "B" ports function with relationship to how valve is operated....
I have older DUERR 22 Ton splitter and it uses rigid connection from A & B ports to ram, it functions correctly with a valve body that seems to appear by part number on at least 4-5 different splitters, all seem to be made by MTD as all the splitters I am referencing have same part number which seems to be 171-0886... MTD states the 717-0886 valve in no longer available, BUT three is probably half a dozen compatible valve the can replace the early 717-0886 part number...

Last edited:
Hoses to ram are solid metal lines which cannot be reversed.

This describes my problem.

It is raining today therefor, I will try to take pictures and post them tomorrow.

FBEC4455-E792-420D-B580-E8203597DC06.jpeg
BC466806-C020-4F6E-9602-7B121B42337A.jpeg
0932531A-4A45-4D7C-9C47-8833025D8DBC.jpeg
468623B3-6AAA-40EF-85D9-9C5859794997.jpeg
11DB3471-EC74-48F2-A177-75A931C7AB67.jpeg

Old valve.
DFC51ADC-E0E3-40C8-A365-3CB1C4F297BC.jpeg
9426BD14-C98B-4EE6-A4EB-C91A2B16A1E4.jpeg

/ New log splitter control valve. #10  
By initial appearance's your new valve is installed backwards.... THE new valve is functionally the opposite of old valve in every respect...
This appears to be same (new) valve you have that is on my DUERR splitter.... Do you happen to have a part number off valve?

P1020239.JPG