New log splitter control valve.

/ New log splitter control valve.
Not really sure, splitter is 1989-91 model DUERR (made by MTD), probably been through several owners, ... By appearances elbow maybe cast iron or cast steel "pipe" fitting, only marking on fittings is "3/4" and "Thailand"... Known in real works as a "Street El"... And has 3/4 inch"barbed" fitting to connect to hose..... IF I need to replace valve I will probably replace it with one that is a genuine high pressure elbow....BUT in its defence it is on low pressure side 0-400 psi so I'm not really concerned with it....
IF you could see the problems with my splitter (nipple is cross threaded into cylinder and maybe valve body) and leaky valve you would understand why I am hesitant to change anything unless I go for major project.... It's easier to hold my breath and use it as is and in the several years I have uses it I only added 1 quart of hydraulic fluid to maintain recommended amount in tank by manufacturer.... And yes all the cross threaded plumbing work was done by a previous owner and I only acquired it used a few year ago...

View attachment 774727
Thank you, thank you very much. I’m sure the street elbow will do the job for me as well. I will convert mine as soon as the weather clears up a bit. I am considering an hydraulic oil fluid and filter change also.
What type fluid do you use, I will be using dexron transmission fluid.

/ New log splitter control valve. #32  
Thank you, thank you very much. I’m sure the street elbow will do the job for me as well. I will convert mine as soon as the weather clears up a bit. I am considering an hydraulic oil fluid and filter change also.
Filter is WIX 51551 1x12in thread and 10 micron rating with 12 to 16 GPM flow. Got mine at local auto parts store.... Also my manual states AW type or Dexron II, but I believe it's no longer available, but suggest Dexron III, anyway it is just a 10w automatic transmission fluid...

Last edited:
   / New log splitter control valve. #33  
Pretty much any oil will work, hydraulic, engine, trans oil.

A log splitter is nothing fancy. Gear pump, valve, and a cylinder. They are as simple as you can get and aren't picky

/ New log splitter control valve. #34  
Were I building a Splitter two things would be necessity. Auto return valve. Two stage pump.

/ New log splitter control valve. #36  
For you elbow you might consider...

OR...

All rated for hydraulic use...

/ New log splitter control valve. #37  
Almost all commercially made splitter have these features...........
Okay. I didn't know it was possible to build a commercially made splitter...............

IF you COPY the concept of commercially made splitters you will have the features you want.....
Absolutely, although I will be using a 90 degree iron street elbow as soon as the paint dries.
FDD4CB01-EC09-4526-8F88-5DFC9C06C511.jpeg

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 36
Last edited:
All said and done, running like new, no leaks and it’s splitting wood like a champ. I going to give’er a fluid change soon as I get some from Walmart tomorrow.
79ED84DD-AC79-4CBB-8625-08A7A0A06E7F.jpeg
563E15AB-0D78-47CB-9755-0D1E3CEB63A7.jpeg