Bad news on my TC33D

/ Bad news on my TC33D #1  

John_Mc

Elite Member
Tractor
NH TC33D Modified with belly pan, limb risers & FOPS. Honda Pioneer 520 & antique Coot UTV
I got some bad news about my NH TC33D yesterday.

Two weeks ago, I was out working on the far corner of my property when I heard a POP! Engine was still running fine, but I lost all power to the wheels. Shifting into various ranges did nothing. I decide to push myself backwards enough to get the tractor to the trail intersection a short distance behind me, where it would be easier to get to to tow the tractor home. I pushed back about 2 feet, when all of the sudden, the wheels started working again. I drove it back home and called the dealer to pick it up to check it over in case something serious had happened

With the holiday weekend, deer season in full swing, and some jobs ahead of me in their line-up, they were not able to get to it until yesterday. I got a call from the service department guy, who explained that the transmission housing had cracked. I went down there today to check it out and speak to the service tech who had looked at it. He said that the backhoe subframe and the limb-risers and falling object protection I had added were the only reason the tractor was still in one piece.

He estimated that the repairs could run around $6-7000, and that was IF everything came apart and went back together easily. If they found other damage when they got in to it, it could be more. (This is using new parts. They have not yet looked for a used housing. The new housing runs about $2700, if I'm correctly remembering what they told me. That's included in the $6-7000 rough estimate.)

So now I'm faced with a dilemma: do I repair the tractor (and hope there isn't more about to go one a 20+ year old tractor), or do a go for a new one and jump up a size to what I probably should have been using all along for my work in the woods?

New tractors are pretty darn expensive these days. My TC 33D was running well otherwise.

Any guesses as to what a 2001 NH TC33D with loader would be worth if it did not have this major issue? If I thought I could get my money back out of it, I might repair it, run it for a bit, and then sell it in a year or so and get a new one then. That's assuming I could expect to get at least the repair cost back out of it when I sold. It does have some nice modifications for working in the forest, which might add value for the right buyer.

Last edited:
   / Bad news on my TC33D #2  
As I understand the post you're looking at sinking $10,000 give or take into a twenty year old tractor. A better route would possibly to find the same model tractor and purchase it. If you have yours fixed you may be able to get the repair price out of it when you sell or trade - MAYBE. It's probably time to bite the bullet and go for a newer, larger tractor.

/ Bad news on my TC33D #4  
I had a 1999 TC33D and I had heard of some people breaking the case. Many of those had hoes on them. I never had an issue and traded mine on the Toolcat. The dealer gave me $16k for it and it had a FEL and MMM on it. Ask the dealer if new cases are even available anymore. Being that you had support framing I'm thinking that you didn't break much like others did.

/ Bad news on my TC33D #5  
I would trade. I have a long history of fixing one thing, only to have something else break. (Vehicles not tractors, but same principle.)

Even retired TBN member OldPath upgraded. I believe he now has a Kioti.

Edited for spelling error.

Last edited:
   / Bad news on my TC33D #7  
go for a new one and jump up a size to what I probably should have been using all along for my work

New tractors are pretty darn expensive these days.
It looks like your tractor is carrying prices of 11 to 14 thousand, I have no idea what they are actually selling for.

I think you have answered your question.

Inflation isn't going away anytime soon so if you wait to buy, the tractor will likely get even more expensive. If it were me, I would buy the tractor I wanted and start looking for parts to rebuild the old one.

/ Bad news on my TC33D #8  
If it was my broken tractor I'd call the number below or some other salvage yard.
Screenshot 2022-11-30 071327.png

/ Bad news on my TC33D #9  
I know of a Kubota owner who did the same thing twice. First time (because the tractor was under warranty), Kubota covered the repair, second time, he ate it and it was (if I remember correctly), just under 10 grand all in. He had a 3 point mounted backhoe on it and that caused the failure.

/ Bad news on my TC33D #10  
I'm with Roadworthy...I'd try and find another used one then have lots of spare parts.