Do These Actually Work...

/ Do These Actually Work... #41  
I use the Stihl sharpening tool. I was skeptical at first but after I bought one, and watched a video on YT, I love it!!!! It's fast, easy and gets the chain very sharp. It also maintains the height relationship between the cutting teeth and the raker teeth (aka heigth gage). Watch a video on it and you'll understand better. It's about $30 and you should get some spare round files but they are only about $3 each. Highly recommend this tool. I have the electric chain sharpener you get from Northern Tool but this far easier.
Stihl.png

/ Do These Actually Work... #42  
Seems that there is a flood of these sharpening tools for sale on i-net last few days, do they actually work..... Concept looks good, just can not believe its a quality produce for the $29 to $49 price sellers are asking, down from $79......

Other question is has many "sellers" seized on these as a "scam" to get you to order and they never deliver?....

And no I'm not really going o buy...

View attachment 772912
This is actually a Chinese Knock Off of a GAMN Sharpener patented in the '80'. I had a GAMN that did work, but I put the Carbide burrs in a battery drill and cut the teeth. At least this didn't burn the teeth. I don't know about these knock offs. Patent must have run out! Picture shows one on eBay currently.

Attachments

• gamn.jpg
    gamn.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 77
   / Do These Actually Work... #43  
So, I bought one on a lark- it works, barely and is certainly not an improvement over either a file with a guide or my Dremel chainsaw sharpening attachment.

Minor correction- the “ratcheting” feature is an improvement over either of my other sharpening tools.

/ Do These Actually Work... #44  
Seems that there is a flood of these sharpening tools for sale on i-net last few days, do they actually work..... Concept looks good, just can not believe its a quality produce for the $29 to $49 price sellers are asking, down from $79......

Other question is has many "sellers" seized on these as a "scam" to get you to order and they never deliver?....

View attachment 772912
I use a regular chain grinder in my shop, its fast and accurate. Tried that round stone once and it lasted about 5 min. I charge 3.00 off and 7.00 on. I retired but still have people coming in.

/ Do These Actually Work... #45  
I use the Stihl sharpening tool. I was skeptical at first but after I bought one, and watched a video on YT, I love it!!!! It's fast, easy and gets the chain very sharp. It also maintains the height relationship between the cutting teeth and the raker teeth (aka heigth gage). Watch a video on it and you'll understand better. It's about $30 and you should get some spare round files but they are only about $3 each. Highly recommend this tool. I have the electric chain sharpener you get from Northern Tool but this far easier.View attachment 773721
Yep, couldn’t agree more. It’s fast and works incredibly well.

Mike

/ Do These Actually Work... #46  

View attachment 772912
I've tried a lot of sharpeners, but the only one that has given consistent results is the Stihl 2 in 1.

/ Do These Actually Work... #48  
For a light touch up just use a file, but it takes practice to hold the correct angle and pressure - practice on an old chain for a while. As stated by others - a Dremel tool attachment is a good option, you can change depth or size of stones for different chains. Again it takes practice to get it right - there are some absolutely terrible videos out there on this, completely ass-backwards demonstrations. Do it right and you'll be pleased with the results. Personally I've used a Dremel for probably 20 years.

/ Do These Actually Work... #49  
I don't see how that cranked thing could do much. Stones need to turn fast to do the job. Although I always have a file with me, and can touch up sitting on the ground with the saw facing me, I have an Oregon 12v that I put a trailer plug on and use it on my tailgate (if the truck is near).

/ Do These Actually Work... #50  
Def looks like a Timberline, right down to the color. I have a timberline and like it. I don't sharpen often enough to get good at the technique so it makes it really easy to always get good results. Not cheap, but a high quality tool. Not for everyone, but it does a good job. As for the knock off, it might work fine. I'll stick with the Timberline though. I have multiple carbide cutters for it to use for all my saws.