I was snookered!

/ I was snookered! #21  
The new scam out here is (it's been going on for a while) it they set up a website to generate a vehicle history report and they want you to go in and enter your vin number to generate the report yourself they charge from $20 to 30 and the money goes to them. I kept one on the phone for hours once, just playing with him in a circular conversation I have to admit he was very persistent ... I figured while he was on the phone with me, he wasnt scamming anyone else it took a while before he stop trying.

/ I was snookered! #22  
My favorite was when both my landline home and cell phone rang simultaneously.
Caller ID I knew they were scammers so I held phones together, one flipped so mic to speaker. Both hindustani and they talked to each other for 20 minutes until they cursed each other out and hung up.
My wife was in stitches!

/ I was snookered! #24  
Glad everyone's posts showed good outcomes here. Before I retired, our company had video "courses" for us, to train against scammers, phishers, etc... We were all pretty annoyed about being REQUIRED to watch and then pass the quiz at the end of them.

I consider myself savvy enough (of course, right?), but it's good to read these and remind myself to be careful.

Last edited:
   / I was snookered! #25  
You realize that almost all legit outfits will send a letter if there’s any issues concerning your business be it IRS, bank, credit card etc. They rarely if ever call. I don’t give any caller or emailer the time of day.

/ I was snookered! #26  
Wish they could catch these scammers etc. and give them some old fashion justice

/ I was snookered! #27  
These scammers are a real problem. They are getting better and better.

A few weeks ago I got a text message from my bank fraud department asking if I just spent Five Hundred Something dollars in Salt Lake. Reply "No" yada yada yada.
Of course I wasnt in Salt Lake, so I replied No. And then my bank fraud line called me.

He verified that the charges on my account, even the ones I DID preform without giving him access to my account. I double check the number he was calling me from, the actual number, not just caller ID. It was correct for my bank fraud department. EVERYTHING about this guy seemed legit, spoke perfect English, knew my account info, personal info, etc. Until he needed my online username and password texted back to the text I got the original text message from. When I asked why, he said it was to secure my account.

I hung up!

Considering if I just made a mistake by hanging up, I called the bank fraud department and spoke with someone else about my account. Took them a minute to realize that I was in fact being groomed by a scammer. The legit guy looked at my account and said everything is fine, but suggested that I change my username and password, and keep an eye on my account.

Then he gave me the best advise: If a fraud department calls, hang up and call the number. They can (for now) spoof the incoming call number, which will show up as legitimate on your phone. But they cannot intercept incoming calls to the bank fraud department. And of course, they will NEVER ask for username and/or password.

I almost got duped out of a lot of money and headache. I'm into technology and keep up with the latest trends. I did not see that one coming, well, not until they asked for my password. I felt completely violated and still, to this day, have trust issues with myself. Do I have the confidence to know that I will not be duped by a scammer?

Be careful out there people.
Wait until you get a call from yourself... They spoofed my own cell number and called me with it..
I just looked at it and laughed, didn't even answer. 😲

/ I was snookered!
I had my CC compromised about 5 years ago. It peeved me because it happened when I went down to visit my father while he was in the nursing home, and they must have skimmed it when I got gas. I checked my account when I got home that night but somehow missed the charge for a $90 gift card to Macy’s. I did see it the next day but by then the card had been spent.

I’ve always wondered at the amount. Presumably that’s below where most people get a notification from the bank. I have also wondered how many people don’t even notice something like that, and if they tried to use my card again.

/ I was snookered! #29  
Glad everyone's posts showed good outcomes here. Before I retired, our company had video "courses" for us, to train against scammers, phishers, etc... We were all pretty annoyed about being REQUIRED to watch and then pass the quiz at the end of them.

I consider myself savvy enough (of course, right?), but it's good to read these and remind myself to be careful.
Company I work for has E-learning we have to do periodically on a whole bunch of those topics. From data security, code of ethics, code of conduct, and a whole slew of others.

/ I was snookered! #30  
1670546792441.png