I was snookered!

/ I was snookered! #32  
It's been a while since I've advertised online so had forgotten what it's like. I had the old Curtis cab from my father's 4400 Ford advertised and had completely forgotten about it until I got a text yesterday asking if we still had it. I said yes, and we went back and forth a few times. Then he asked where it was, and I gave him the town it's in, telling him we are cleaning out the barn and aren't normally there but that my brother could meet him next week. THEN it came...
"I am out of town but if you will give me your address or account number I will send you the money, and my agent will pick it up."

I read that and thought to myself "You stupid :censored:, you fell for it. :oops:

I sent him one last text which read simply "Yeah, RIGHT".

Too Kind

I ask scammers to call me on another line for better reception (whatever ... ) then I give them the NON-EMERGENCY LOCAL POLICE NUMBER ... oh to be a fly on the wall, when they call back. :).

Try to avoid answering questions, even simple yes / no answers ( ie are you the homeowner ?) ... they can record the answer and then switch the question ... would you authorize this $200 purchase ? (they may not have even asked you that) and the YES respond is used to process the transaction. Do you have any further questions for me ? and the NO is used.
- very concerning
- I know way more than I should

Last edited:
   / I was snookered! #33  
Ive had the Bangladesh IRS field office call me. Gave me a # to call and settle up before they had the local cops arrest me. So I called and called and called. They finally blocked my #.

/ I was snookered! #34  
Try to avoid answering questions, even simple yes / no answers ( ie are you the homeowner ?) ... they can record the answer and then switch the question ... would you authorize this $200 purchase ? (they may not have even asked you that) and the YES respond is used to process the transaction. Do you have any further questions for me ? and the NO is used.
- very concerning
- I know way more than I should
I've heard that one common opening question is "can you hear me OK?" to get that initial yes. Caller ID is a wonderful thing...I NEVER answer the phone unless I recognize the name/number (I figure if it's legit they'll leave a message...I can pick up if I'm nearby, if not no big loss), but if someone ever said that my response would be "what? could you speak up?", repeated as many times as necessary. :sneaky:

/ I was snookered! #35  
Wait until you get a call from yourself... They spoofed my own cell number and called me with it..
I just looked at it and laughed, didn't even answer. 😲
I got one of those once too. I wonder what I wanted, I never left a message. :ROFLMAO:

/ I was snookered! #36  
I'm getting phishing emails more frequently. You just won, or you just bought, or whatever, - don't reply just report them all.
You really have to stay on your toes these days.
It got infinitely worse for me when I started a business. Too much public info now available in the state databases. Some of them have been very well-done, to the point where I actually called my bank yesterday to follow up on one, as the scammer somehow knew what bank I used and what name the account was filed under.

Also, whereas I used to screen my calls and only pickup numbers I recognized, I have to answer every call coming in on the business line.

/ I was snookered! #37  
My Mastercard number was stolen a few years ago by some California guy charging $3,000. They did a merchant charge back asking if I knew who it was. I said I had no clue but should be easy to find ordering a case of men's pink panties and 33x12.5R20 mudders and mags, obviously a gay guy with a 4 wheel drive.
She dropped the phone...
Maybe 5 years ago I had a message on my answering machine from someone for whom English was clearly not his first language saying something about an Amazon order, and wondering if it was legit. Caller ID just said Seattle Wash.
Logged into my Az account, didn't show anything out of the ordinary. Then called my CC company and they showed a charge of ~$500 that I didn't make to Az. They immediately cancelled that card and issued a new one.
A couple days later a mystery package with a pair of very expensive headphones inside arrived UPS. I found it very odd that someone would steal my cc#, then ship the merchandise to my address...maybe they were hoping no one was home and they could scoop it up, but I was here when it was delivered.
Returned it to Az, got the full amount credited back. Changed my Az password to something a lot harder to hack.

It is scary how much info someone can obtain about you with just a simple internet search.

/ I was snookered! #38  
Maybe 5 years ago I had a message on my answering machine from someone for whom English was clearly not his first language saying something about an Amazon order, and wondering if it was legit. Caller ID just said Seattle Wash.
Logged into my Az account, didn't show anything out of the ordinary. Then called my CC company and they showed a charge of ~$500 that I didn't make to Az. They immediately cancelled that card and issued a new one.
A couple days later a mystery package with a pair of very expensive headphones inside arrived UPS. I found it very odd that someone would steal my cc#, then ship the merchandise to my address...maybe they were hoping no one was home and they could scoop it up, but I was here when it was delivered.
Returned it to Az, got the full amount credited back. Changed my Az password to something a lot harder to hack.
I suspect it was a variant of this eBay scam;

Another "if it sounds too good to be true..."

All the best,

Peter

/ I was snookered! #39  
It used to be that somepeople would occasionally be subjected to credit card fraud. Now it is a constant threat to all of us.
Keep 2 cards so you can cancel one when needed and still have one to use

/ I was snookered! #40  
It used to be that some people would occasionally be subjected to credit card fraud. Now it is a constant threat to all of us.
Keep 2 cards so you can cancel one when needed and still have one to use
That's good advice. Over the last 10 years, I parred down the number of cards I have to only one, which I'm able to pay off every month. I use my debit card except for online stuff. I probably should get another, as backup, but the banks don't like them to just sit. I would need to remember to use them both.

I bet there are not many "deals" for new cards these days...

Last edited: