Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #4,071  
If the vehicle cost the same, which vehicle would you pick 1.8 or 8.1?
8.1 ?? I’ll take the one that can get me across an icy snow covered intersection and keep going!

I once had a new Suzuki. (Small low powered vehicle with four wheel drive. ). That was back when four wheel drive was not common. Always interesting to be the first across a winter intersection.

Last edited:
   / Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #4,072  
   / Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #4,074  
You need to take this bad boy out for a ride.

No kickstarter?

:ROFLMAO:

Man, that thing purrs like a kitten once it's warmed up. (y)

I like that kind of stuff. Shows creativity and engineering.

Thanks.

:)

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #4,075  
Where are you at? Missing in your profile. Solar is not viable here since our co-op pays very little for solar power to the grid.

North Texas.

Agree, I’m lucky my Coop has decent rules around this… for now.

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #4,076  
For an accurate comparison you have to factor in price of EV, price of ICE, cost of charger and cost of electricity.
A friend recently bought a $50,000 Chevy Bolt, then $2,000 charger and electricity bill doubled.
Now compare a $20,000 ICE at 35 mpg. You've saved $32,000 from day one and electric bill $20-$30/week savings. Now EV not so appealing.

In my case $50k ICE or $50k EV.
There isn’t a $20k ICE option I would have purchased. Just because I could purchase a Honda Civic to drive doesn’t mean that would be the comparable vehicle I would be shopping for.

$600 charger - or free as a charger that was included with car, just slower (mine is plugged in overnight, would work just fine for 95% of my needs). No house upgrades were required as there is a 50A outlet in the wall.

Annnd my electricity didn’t double. House/Shop is by far the larger user.

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #4,077  
Certainly people buy/drive whatever they wish to. To me (and my wife has same opinion) the priority is a good warranty and getting from A to B economically. "Creature comforts" (I hate that term ) means nothing. When I'm so decrepit I can't jump into my truck bed, manually shift or roll window up and down I'll quit driving! Fast & speed...5 mph over speed limit is fine. 0-60 whether 1.8 or 8.1 seconds is irrelevant. Most expensive cars probably depreciate faster, not that we'd own one anyway.
To each their own.
I'm in probably 90% agreement with you. I don't mind a relatively strippo vehicle either. Decent performance (though I have no need, or even desire for something that can do 0-60 in 2 seconds), comfortable, with straightforward controls, a good sounding stereo that'll play from a flash drive (don't need blue tooth or cellphone interconnectivity) and something that'll stand up over time. Unfortunately, that doesn't seem to be what sells anymore...gimmicks/bells & whistles are what seems to sell...the tech-ier the better.

I've come to appreciate some stuff like power windows, automatic, etc.
We are limited by our NIMBY. China owns everything, so they can string lines wherever they want. Not here. We have had the tech for years, but nobody wants to open the easement can of worms.
Would you want some big company to unilaterally decide that they want to run some rather disruptive infrastructure thru your property with only minimal compensation? Yes NIMBYism can, and often does get out of hand, but sometimes the alternative can be worse. Look at the obscene levels of pollution that exists in China.

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #4,078  
I saw an interesting report yesterday that new electric trucks weighed too much for the 'Automobile safety testing' facility to test the vehicle. Stating the GVW on a new electric pickup to be 9000 pounds.

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #4,079  
I saw an interesting report yesterday that new electric trucks weighed too much for the 'Automobile safety testing' facility to test the vehicle. Stating the GVW on a new electric pickup to be 9000 pounds.
I never really thought about that, but i guess it's not just cars/suvs that get tested. I wonder if they test 1 ton trucks?

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #4,080  
I never really thought about that, but i guess it's not just cars/suvs that get tested. I wonder if they test 1 ton trucks?
There may be safety limits at certain weights. Think about the damage a 9k pound pickup could do to a 3k pound car. If it hit you head on - it would just go on through. Atleast the undercarriage with all the weight would. Yikes.