Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #4,092  
   / Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #4,093  
   / Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #4,094  
Name sake of leading EV maker.

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #4,095  
   / Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #4,096  
Commercial EV charger specs for anyone interested, the highlighted one is what Pierce is recommending for their Volterra chassis.

I work in a large commercial building with a heavy truck shop and we couldn't install one of these chargers. Yeah it's possible, we could get the power brought in where we are but it's not like installing a dryer plug in your house. 198 amps at 480v is not an insignificant power requirement...

Don't get me wrong, I actually think fire trucks are a great application for hybrid electric systems because of their duty cycle. But, at a minimum we need to spend a lot of money on distribution infrastructure to support commercial EV charging. Even if you said we have the power generation capacity, which, I doubt...
Screenshot_20221211-205211.jpg

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #4,097  
Commercial EV charger specs for anyone interested, the highlighted one is what Pierce is recommending for their Volterra chassis.

I work in a large commercial building with a heavy truck shop and we couldn't install one of these chargers. Yeah it's possible, we could get the power brought in where we are but it's not like installing a dryer plug in your house. 198 amps at 480v is not an insignificant power requirement...

Don't get me wrong, I actually think fire trucks are a great application for hybrid electric systems because of their duty cycle. But, at a minimum we need to spend a lot of money on distribution infrastructure to support commercial EV charging. Even if you said we have the power generation capacity, which, I doubt... View attachment 774249
Can't read the attachment but enough to get "ABB HVC-150C" which was enough for a search engine to find a similar data sheet.

This is a DC CCS charger made in Italy. Nominal 150kW. A Version 2 Tesla Supercharger serving 8 vehicles installs the equivalent of 4 of these on a 750V-A transformer.

A Version 3 Supercharger serving 8 vehicles gets a 1.5M V-A transformer for (8) 250kW charging bays. Buc-ee's is getting 16 of those at most locations.

I disagree about the difficulty in getting 480V 3P 150kW service. That is about the standard drop for a McDonalds.

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #4,100  
Now where are all the uninformed members that scoffed when I mentioned nuclear fusion a few weeks ago...???
Unfortunately, probably not viable in the next few decades as an energy source but someday...