Puma-54 Snowblower chain stretching

/ Puma-54 Snowblower chain stretching #12  
Once chains stretch/wear, they no longer match the pitch (tooth to tooth) of the sprockets. When that happens, the worn chain quickly wears the sprockets which are harder to replace. Chain is cheap so replace it when needed.

/ Puma-54 Snowblower chain stretching #13  
Lube my blower chain using old paint brush and used motor oil.
When the tensioner gets near the limit it’s time to replace the chain, my blower is only 2 years old so I’m not expecting to need to replace the chain anytime soon.

/ Puma-54 Snowblower chain stretching #14  
I have a similar style snowblower on my tractor and being **** about details I adjusted the chain as I would on any piece of equipment.
I had no issues with mine (chain) until I decided to give it a good pm which included adjusting the chain per standard practice.
During the first storm the chain broke ☹️. I installed a repair link and it also broke in short order. This happened several times before I realized what’s was happening. If the chain is adjusted per standard practice you are not allowing sufficient clearance for the snow gets compressed into ice between the chain & sprocket.
This ice buildup makes the chain rise higher on the sprocket putting incredible stress on the chain breaking it. General use roller chain has a breaking strength of approximately 25,000 Lbs.
The solution is to loosen the chain beyond what you feel is acceptable allowing a significant amount of sag. Counter intuitive the the norms.
No more problems!
90cummins

/ Puma-54 Snowblower chain stretching #15  
That alone is the major reason roller chain should be
outside the cross auger housing and behind a guard
as it would solve so many problems and improve
ease of access speed repairs.

It would be worth every penny to change the worm
tensioner with a rubber torsion arm sprocket tensioner
but it would not be useable with a roller chain and
sprocket assembly mounted in the cross auger housing
unless it was behind a shield covering the roller chain
and sprockets.

If the snow blower manufactures used idler sprockets to support the roller chain
in the lower flight the snow blowers would have fewer chain problems as they
would support the roller chain and reduce roller chain sagging, twisting and vibration.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

www.youtube.com/watch?v=5mKuus4W0b4

I have no idea why the link will not work BUT if you type reist snow throwers in the search
bar it will go right to it and it will show their snowthrowers in great detail.

Last edited:
   / Puma-54 Snowblower chain stretching #16  
Once chains stretch/wear, they no longer match the pitch (tooth to tooth) of the sprockets. When that happens, the worn chain quickly wears the sprockets which are harder to replace. Chain is cheap so replace it when needed.

Right, also
Some better quality chains are pre loaded/pre stretched from the factory. That avoids initial run in elongation by the user

Diamond and others pre load /every chain
Then as you posted there is worn out

/ Puma-54 Snowblower chain stretching #17  
In case anyone else is wondering, the chain doesn't stretch per se, the metal is the metal and does not stretch, but the pins will wear, causing the pitch (length) to expand.

So, as there is the wear in the pins and inner links, it is best to spend the $40 on a new chain, versus taking a link out and still having the wear in the pins and inner links.

Learning morning for me. New chain is ordered. For what it's worth, my blower took a #60 chain.

The pins and the rollers wear and the strap plates will stretch.