Automating the Quick Attach (SSQA)

/ Automating the Quick Attach (SSQA) #11  
Mine came with one and I really like it. At first I thought it was frivolous, then I made attachment changes without leaving the seat when it was 15 degrees out.
I didn’t think it was frivolous after that.

1673614527497.jpeg

/ Automating the Quick Attach (SSQA) #12  
That's something I'd never considered; great job!

/ Automating the Quick Attach (SSQA)
I have already been thinking of making a hydraulic one :( - It would be a good exercise for me as I could learn more about hydraulics. I did the math also on the force of one and my initial inclination is to use a relief valve.
So being a complete dummy about this. . . is there a 'double acting' relief valve that would bridge the two cylinder ports?
I also thought a restrictor to limit the flow would be a good idea. After all a 1" cylinder doesn't take a whole lot of fluid to push it end to end.

/ Automating the Quick Attach (SSQA) #14  
I did a hydraulic one with tee's on my third function. I did not use a relief valve but I am very careful about alignment when I actuate it. I used ball valves to shut off the cylinder when the third function is needed. since you have to get off anyways to hook up the hoses I just flip the valves after the hoses are hooked up.

The pins are angled and most ssqa flanges are angled so you would have to be very unlucky to manage to catch a pin on an attachment.

i would have to look at the setup more but I think the pins are spring loaded. I have had an attachment that pinned on only partially and I had to cycle the locking pins and no damage was done.

/ Automating the Quick Attach (SSQA)
I did a hydraulic one with tee's on my third function. I did not use a relief valve but I am very careful about alignment when I actuate it. I used ball valves to shut off the cylinder when the third function is needed. since you have to get off anyways to hook up the hoses I just flip the valves after the hoses are hooked up.

The pins are angled and most ssqa flanges are angled so you would have to be very unlucky to manage to catch a pin on an attachment.

i would have to look at the setup more but I think the pins are spring loaded. I have had an attachment that pinned on only partially and I had to cycle the locking pins and no damage was done.

lol, as careful as I am James there was one time I missed the pin engaging at all and I was standing right over it manually operating the lever. Didn't realize it until I curled the bucket in the woods and it half fell off. Let's just say I'm a whole lot more attentive now.

I installed 3 rear remotes and plumbed one of them to ssqa

front hoses connected - bird dogger's bracket.jpg

My plan was to used an electric diverter to select the grapple or the ssqa but after reading your post the ball valves sound perfectly adequate. Are they tied together (one handle)?

/ Automating the Quick Attach (SSQA) #16  
You could use a double selector valve also https://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200335627_200335627
There are some other styles such as rotary but this seems to be the most affordable I've found. I have one that I'm putting on my rear blade for the gauge wheel.

As for the pressure relief, I don't think it's needed, I have tried to lock the ssqa with the pins not lined up and it just stalled the 1" cylinder. I'm using a double diverter valve setup so speed isn't an issue but restrictors wouldn't hurt.

Sent from my SM-G715U1 using TractorByNet mobile app

/ Automating the Quick Attach (SSQA) #17  
I have already been thinking of making a hydraulic one :( - It would be a good exercise for me as I could learn more about hydraulics. I did the math also on the force of one and my initial inclination is to use a relief valve.
So being a complete dummy about this. . . is there a 'double acting' relief valve that would bridge the two cylinder ports?
I also thought a restrictor to limit the flow would be a good idea. After all a 1" cylinder doesn't take a whole lot of fluid to push it end to end.

A restrictor just slows things down. One of the main advantages of hydraulic over electric linear actuator is speed. Also, just because it's slow doesn't mean something can jam. When it slowly get to the jam it would eventually apply full pressure. You'd have more time to detect an issue, but not a better view or situational awareness.

I've a tiny cylinder and/orcrelief valve. A double acting valve across the ports is correct. Probably set in the 300-1000psi range depending on cylinder diameter.

/ Automating the Quick Attach (SSQA) #18  
You could use a double selector valve also https://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200335627_200335627
There are some other styles such as rotary but this seems to be the most affordable I've found. I have one that I'm putting on my rear blade for the gauge wheel.

As for the pressure relief, I don't think it's needed, I have tried to lock the ssqa with the pins not lined up and it just stalled the 1" cylinder. I'm using a double diverter valve setup so speed isn't an issue but restrictors wouldn't hurt.

Similar valve to the one I have. No relief valve, but I'm hoping my 1" or less cylinder is weak enough to stall on issues.

/ Automating the Quick Attach (SSQA) #19  
Similar valve to the one I have. No relief valve, but I'm hoping my 1" or less cylinder is weak enough to stall on issues.
If it's on your L4060 then you'll be fine, it should be at the same relief pressure as my L3240. Unless you're changing the geometry from how mine is connected it'll stall a 1" bore cylinder before damage.

/ Automating the Quick Attach (SSQA) #20  
Mine came with one and I really like it. At first I thought it was frivolous, then I made attachment changes without leaving the seat when it was 15 degrees out.
I didn’t think it was frivolous after that.

View attachment 779034
I'd also like auto-attach hydraulic front remotes like on some excavators!