Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #6,471  
Now you are grasping why the change from ICE to EVs is happening per Elon Musk and others. if there was no asphalt production, what would EV's drive on?
Asphalt, plastic, pens, smart phones, televisions....... pretty much everything has some association with crude oil.

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #6,472  
Now you are grasping why the change from ICE to EVs is happening per Elon Musk and others. if there was no asphalt production, what would EV's drive on?

You are the one that stated that refineries would be going offline...!...
Rechargeable batteries will NEVER replace some non automotive ICE applications...it will take something much better...

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #6,473  
All this talk about connecting to a home charger. My daughter bought a new home two years ago. The garage had a 220v EV charging outlet in the garage. Developers don't add expense to their buildings unless they think it adds value.

I don't have an EV, but I do have a welder. Adding that 230v outlet and breaker cost about $50. The sky didn't fall.
I already have a 30 in my garage, but I'd want a little more for faster charging. That's why I'd upgrade to 200 amp service, too.

It's completely doable for me. I could use an EV for 95% of our needs. But the current cost is too high for me because of my penchant for used cars. I'm fairly certain we'll have one before I croak.

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #6,474  
Even if they (foolishly) build charging stations as frequent as petrol stations...Current (NPI) battery powered technology EVs will NOT be what pushes ICE vehicles out of the majority of personal transportation vehicles...If you think otherwise you need to wake up because you're dreaming...!

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #6,475  
Even if they (foolishly) build charging stations as frequent as petrol stations...Current (NPI) battery powered technology EVs will NOT be what pushes ICE vehicles out of the majority of personal transportation vehicles...If you think otherwise you need to wake up because you're dreaming...!
If I go to town and sit in the Kum n Go or Caseys stations parking lot by the Interstate the pumps are always busy. If it takes 30 minutes to charge an EV, how many more stations would be needed?

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #6,476  
If I go to town and sit in the Kum n Go or Caseys stations parking lot by the Interstate the pumps are always busy. If it takes 30 minutes to charge an EV, how many more stations would be needed?
And charging stations would not be like gas station pump lanes where it only takes a short time to fill up and the lines keep moving...I think there would be a new phrase "charging station rage" to describe crimes by EV drivers waiting on the EVs ahead of them to charge...
...I'm sure someone will put up some cams so we can all watch some of the cat fights etc. on youtube...!!

I would not want to be driving an EV anywhere near tourist destinations during vacation season...it would be a nightmare...of course all travelers could be paying higher motel room rates to offset the cost of installing chargers...

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #6,477  
I expect that as EVs grow in popularity, solutions to charging will grow. Businesses and communities that want to attract patrons will install charging stations (it is already happening in tiny towns in rural WI). Good old fashioned capitalism will find a way to make a buck on charging stations. Just like unattended car washes, I could see chargers popping up at UHaul sites, car dealerships, shopping malls, Walmarts, Targets, Restaurants, hotels, car rental sites, car washes - the list goes on. Maybe someone will develop an Air B&B type app that lets private individuals make charging sites available. The market will adapt in ways we can't currently imagine. The sky won't fall.

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #6,478  
Asphalt, plastic, pens, smart phones, televisions....... pretty much everything has some association with crude oil.
Not to mention all the synthetics that are in all new vehicles...EVs and ICE vehicles...
(Don't tell PETA some real leather is still used...!)

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #6,479  
I don't see that many Americans moving to third world countries just so they can buy a cheap ice vehicle.

The ICE vehicles will be here. Why would the vehicles be shipped elsewhere.

I must be missing something. Please explain.