Snow Blower Sizing - Opinions Wanted

/ Snow Blower Sizing - Opinions Wanted #31  
I maintain 1.25 miles of private road. I found a blower to be too slow to do that much road. Over the years, I've found the most efficient method is to use the 8' FEL plow going forward and cleaning up the "windrows" in reverse with the 78" rear facing blower. That way, I clear snow in both directions when there is no place to turn around. The 78" blower matches the tractor tread width so I offset it on the 3pt hitch and work one side at a time.

/ Snow Blower Sizing - Opinions Wanted #32  
Whatever. You get in deep wet snow, you'll wish you didn't have a weinie tractoor.
Or a hydrostatic transmission.
I've never seen any other PTO operated equipment gobble up HP faster than a snowblower, that includes a 15' batwing mower.
Unfortunately hydro's are only available in lower HP tractors and there's a "dead zone" of utility sized tractors before you get to the IVT trannies and very expensive machines. 👍

/ Snow Blower Sizing - Opinions Wanted #33  
I might add my Lucknow can pull down my 90 horse M9 in deep wet snow and make her smoke. It's only 84 wide too. All depends on snow depth and moisture content. Didn't even use it or the plow yet. Cold but no snow.

/ Snow Blower Sizing - Opinions Wanted #34  
I have 69 PTO HP for my 84” rear mount and this weeks storm was, at times, all it could handle. Everyone running 50hp with an 84” blower, I have no idea how you get thru it without stopping all the time. I would rather run a more narrow blower and make more passes than crawl for a mile each way. Mine is rear mount. My neighbor has an inverted 84” on his 90hp NH. He does pretty good with that for his drive, about 1 mile long. But with how wide your tractor is I don’t know what choice you really have. My 75C is 78” wide.

/ Snow Blower Sizing - Opinions Wanted #35  
Or a hydrostatic transmission.
I've never seen any other PTO operated equipment gobble up HP faster than a snowblower, that includes a 15' batwing mower.
Unfortunately hydro's are only available in lower HP tractors and there's a "dead zone" of utility sized tractors before you get to the IVT trannies and very expensive machines. 👍
Mine are both gear drive hydraulic shuttle (12-12's) I don't do hydrostats here, too much parasitic power loss. Fine for little tractors, I farm with mine.

/ Snow Blower Sizing - Opinions Wanted #36  
I've been running a 78" blower behind my 30 pto hp HST Kubota for 25 years with no issues. It's seen 4" - 4' of snow at a time. HST is the key, with the deep wet stuff I go slower. My vote - 84", you'll be fine.

/ Snow Blower Sizing - Opinions Wanted #37  
Whatever. You get in deep wet snow, you'll wish you didn't have a weinie tractoor.
So his tractor is on the heavy side of a
kubota M 7060 not exactly a "weinie"
I will concede the 7060 has quite a bit more power at the PTO

Tractorbynet is mainly geared to CUTs and IIANM started as a predominately Kubota site

There is Always a Bigger tractor out there.

For whatever reason WIFO placed a 40 HP minimum on the blower in question. Maybe it is just a very efficient design due to auger and Fan size.?
All I can say is my 55HP tractor runs this blower just fine.
With 4-6 inches of fresh snow I can run in 4th gear no problem, and the tractor only has 6 gears.
The OP has a 12 speed gear box.

If a person were to get 30 inches of snow and then have it rained on to bring it down to say 24 inches then yes it would be slow going.

SKUELL-WIF-WBPT84
Weight1220.0000
Horsepower Recommended40 HP Minimum (29.8 KW)
Width - Overall84" (7 Feet; 213 cm)
Width - Working84" (7 Feet; 213 cm)

Last edited:
   / Snow Blower Sizing - Opinions Wanted
I might add my Lucknow can pull down my 90 horse M9 in deep wet snow and make her smoke. It's only 84 wide too. All depends on snow depth and moisture content. Didn't even use it or the plow yet. Cold but no snow.

Well, that is some good input actually. That's what I'd like to know, how well other people's setups work. What size tractor they have, what size blower, how well it works, ect. If an 84" blower can bog your M9 down, then I can expect the same to a worse degree with my 5155. That's good to know, so thank you.

Between the bucket, my 8' FEL plow, and an 84" snow pusher, I have plenty of options besides a blower. I'm just curious what I could expect out of a specific sized blower on a tractor of my size.

Last edited:
   / Snow Blower Sizing - Opinions Wanted #40  
Weinie tractor aside, anything over 18-20" I use my loader to push a trail in and then blow the snow. With that, not having a loader and a pull type blower isn't going to work out very well with large dumps of snow.