Gov't mandates gas can flame arrestors.

/ Gov't mandates gas can flame arrestors. #282  
Society dictates supply and subsequent demand and we have become a cheap, discarding society beholden to China. Lack of competition/manufacturing within the USA is the issue and often people go with "cheap" partly due to lack of choices (supply) and declining and unstable domestic economics. Manufacturing our products domestically solves much of this......

People in a free society should be the solution to over-regulated policies and subsequent production of items we need........ "mandatory" solutions from bureaucratic desk jockeys and virtue signalling metropolitan input seldom serves the public as a whole. The key words here are "as a whole" since rural life is more independent and gears their life towards less government dependency and the subsequent overreach it enforces on us.
A huge part of why we've lost manufacturing and end up buying from other countries is that US has made things so expensive to do here. Regulations, lawsuits, insurance, high minimum wages, taxes, environmental restrictions, unions, etc. all contribute to making manufacturing expensive here. Then, if there is no difference in quality or capability between a US made product and a China made product people are going to choose the cheaper one. Our own government and social goals put us in this position.

/ Gov't mandates gas can flame arrestors. #283  
Mine comes in 55 gallon drums. Pretty hard to pour from...lol
We prefer the 5 gallon buckets, just been handier for use. We have had the 55 gallon drums
and have gone back to 5 gallon pails. When we do a hytran changes we will go with a drum.

/ Gov't mandates gas can flame arrestors. #284  
A huge part of why we've lost manufacturing and end up buying from other countries is that US has made things so expensive to do here. Regulations, lawsuits, insurance, high minimum wages, taxes, environmental restrictions, unions, etc. all contribute to making manufacturing expensive here. Then, if there is no difference in quality or capability between a US made product and a China made product people are going to choose the cheaper one. Our own government and social goals put us in this position.
...for the purposes of an average homeowner/hobbyist. Harbor Freight found their stride with that market bigtime, with their usual consumer not requiring tooling built to last forever.

/ Gov't mandates gas can flame arrestors. #285  
Why I use Eagle metal flip top gas and diesel cans. No spout at all and the do have the arrestor screen inside that don't impact the flow at all. Not cheap however unlike the poly cans. As with anything today, you get what you pay for.
They are still a pain to pour from the cap always seems to get in the way especially if you are pouring fuel into a tight place like when trying to get fuel into a skid steer or even the tank of your truck. I had probably had 10 of those in my barn and hardly ever used them. I did cut a hole near the bottom and put small gate valves on them and that made it a little easier to use but still not perfect. The other thing is the two new ones I just got is that it is almost impossible to get 5 gals in them. About 41/2 gals is the best you can get unless you want to spend a half day at the pump letting fuel out of the nozzel a drip at a time. Try it any faster than that and you'll have fuel all over you, your truck and all over the ground.
I'm just going back to the way I used to do it, put a 55 gal barrel in the back of my truck then go fill it up and pump out of that into what ever you need filled up.

/ Gov't mandates gas can flame arrestors. #286  
It's not really the arrestor screen that's the big problem it's the pour spout that you have to turn, push, pull, bend and almost destroy to get the dang fuel out of the can that will make you want throw the whole thing in the fire. Personally I like to put the spout in the tank and have the fuel come out like it should and not in spurts or start, stop, start, stop and so on.
So wait, the flame arrestor is just the mesh screen down there in the can? Oh that's no biggie, I got that on mines and I just assumed it was to keep bugs and stuff out. Yeh I'm fine with that, it's the annoying spouts I hate, ain't gonna use em.

/ Gov't mandates gas can flame arrestors. #287  
So wait, the flame arrestor is just the mesh screen down there in the can? Oh that's no biggie, I got that on mines and I just assumed it was to keep bugs and stuff out. Yeh I'm fine with that, it's the annoying spouts I hate, ain't gonna use em.
Yes and yes.

/ Gov't mandates gas can flame arrestors. #288  
Here's a cutaway view.

9ED176C0-9979-4B53-95CF-0EBD17CE77EF.jpeg

/ Gov't mandates gas can flame arrestors. #289  
They are still a pain to pour from the cap always seems to get in the way especially if you are pouring fuel into a tight place like when trying to get fuel into a skid steer or even the tank of your truck. I had probably had 10 of those in my barn and hardly ever used them. I did cut a hole near the bottom and put small gate valves on them and that made it a little easier to use but still not perfect. The other thing is the two new ones I just got is that it is almost impossible to get 5 gals in them. About 41/2 gals is the best you can get unless you want to spend a half day at the pump letting fuel out of the nozzel a drip at a time. Try it any faster than that and you'll have fuel all over you, your truck and all over the ground.
I'm just going back to the way I used to do it, put a 55 gal barrel in the back of my truck then go fill it up and pump out of that into what ever you need filled up.
Some (most?) places will not allow you to fill a drum in the back of your truck.

/ Gov't mandates gas can flame arrestors. #290  
The few times I've filled a drum at gas station I haven't had a problem, they do all have signs that portable cans are to be filled on the ground.