Thoughts on 02 F450 dump

/ Thoughts on 02 F450 dump #1  

tlj87

Gold Member
Tractor
JD 4700, Kubota BX2370-1, Kubota RTV1140CPX, Kubota F3060, Club Car Precedent
I have an opportunity to buy an 02 F450 Dump. V10, 6 speed, 4x4, engine driven hydraulics for dump, plow, spreader. Unit has about 50k miles. Cab is very rough on door bottoms, rockers, cab corners, floor. The frame and dump are ok.

I realize that I would have significant body work to do. It seems most panels that I would need are available after market.

If I could make a successful offer and get it for say $2000-3500, is that smart or should I just (try to) forget about it?

This would be for personal use on our 100 ac property, and include on road use to get materials, etc.

Insurance for limited use is quoted at less than $250/yr liability only to be added to our existing policy.

IMG_8889.JPG
IMG_8884.JPG
IMG_8881.JPG
IMG_8887.JPG

/ Thoughts on 02 F450 dump #2  
If the plow came with it, and you have snow removal needs, I would say definitely. Even if not, it’s still a good buy for occasional use.
Rust bothers me, so I tend to buy trucks with mechanical issues and solid bodies, but that’s just my preference. Once rust sets in to that degree, it’s a pain to fix.
The Ford V-10’s were known for spitting out spark plugs from the heads. Check for that, too.

/ Thoughts on 02 F450 dump #3  
Road salt spreader?

Lot of work whether you'd replace the rotten panels, or the whole cab.

It's probably just as rusted (hidden), everywhere else also if you start checking & opening up things like brakes etc.

No idea what those are selling for, but $3000 - $3500 sounds like a lot for a drive train, frame & dump bed to me.

/ Thoughts on 02 F450 dump #4  
Imo and limited experience owning/ operating a rusted relic unless the frame is shot it's probably a good deal especially with a 6 speed. I guess it depends on how far you want to go to make it acceptable for you using it and how tolerable you are with it being functional vs looking and operating like it came off a showroom floor. If you like washing and waxing garage queens probably not for you. 2.5k-3k isn't a bad price especially these days if you have the time and know how to turn a wrench. Also junk yards are a great source to get cheap parts for these things in my experience.

Last edited:
   / Thoughts on 02 F450 dump
Road salt spreader?

Lot of work whether you'd replace the rotten panels, or the whole cab.

It's probably just as rusted (hidden), everywhere else also if you start checking & opening up things like brakes etc.

No idea what those are selling for, but $3000 - $3500 sounds like a lot for a drive train, frame & dump bed to me.

The initial owner was a municipality. The second/current owner is the bus company, which I work for part time.

/ Thoughts on 02 F450 dump #6  
Have you considered a dump trailer? If you have a tractor or other truck to tow it with around the property?
Not saying its a bad deal for that truck.....the rust can be a problem. If every time you want to use it.....it has a blown fuel line or rusted brake line its gonna be frustrating and nickel and dime you to death. And the whole time it is sitting not being used.....its deteriorating more and more. Not to mention keeping it mechanically sound and fresh gas. With a dump trailer....allthough not as handy at times.....is a whole lot less complex, will hold its value, and probably prove more reliable in the long haul

/ Thoughts on 02 F450 dump
Have you considered a dump trailer? If you have a tractor or other truck to tow it with around the property?
Not saying its a bad deal for that truck.....the rust can be a problem. If every time you want to use it.....it has a blown fuel line or rusted brake line its gonna be frustrating and nickel and dime you to death. And the whole time it is sitting not being used.....its deteriorating more and more. Not to mention keeping it mechanically sound and fresh gas. With a dump trailer....allthough not as handy at times.....is a whole lot less complex, will hold its value, and probably prove more reliable in the long haul

I have over the years considered a dump trailer . I have always had a 1/2 ton pickup so the capacity for a dump trailer would be pretty small. I’d hate to give up the ride comfort and improved MPG to get a 3/4 or 1 ton for occasionally heavy towing.

If I bought the dump truck, believe me, after fixing the problem panels, I’d be dousing the thing in Pfc or Fluid Film annually.

/ Thoughts on 02 F450 dump #8  
I should have done a dump trailer, but the first project I am doing is large and requires a self-powered dump truck.
I might do the job, sell it and go dump trailer if it doesn’t get used enough.
Dump trailers make so much sense

/ Thoughts on 02 F450 dump #9  
The initial owner was a municipality. The second/current owner is the bus company, which I work for part time.
When I bought my rwd 1ton GMC 3500 dump truck it was owned by a municipality, then a concrete co. They beat the living snot out of it. When I finally got my hands on it for a little over scrap prices I changed all fluids and filters welded the bent, rusted, foldable broken sides solid, repaired rear tailgate, making it usable welded gussets and braces to rusted cab mounts even found used plastic fender flares for the rusted out fenders at a u pick yard, and completely rebuilt the rear suspension, with used and new parts cause it was on the helpers empty when I bought it. Only reason I sold it when I was mostly done with it is a snake almost fell on my head from the hoods xbracing when I was checking the oil. good luck

/ Thoughts on 02 F450 dump #10  
I should have done a dump trailer, but the first project I am doing is large and requires a self-powered dump truck.
I might do the job, sell it and go dump trailer if it doesn’t get used enough.
Dump trailers make so much sense
Unless you initially only have a compact truck or 1/2 ton to pull it. In my brief searches for dump trailers they are pricey these days, even smaller 7-10k ones. It's nice that f450 runs the dump bed with a pump off the fan belt I believe vs other methods. Worst case you can make a dump trailer out of the truck or at least I'd try doing that.