Does Anyone Buy Used Tractors?

/ Does Anyone Buy Used Tractors? #11  
In terms of my excavation equipment that I depend on every day, I generally buy new. But for stuff around the house, I've had a number of used tractors. Personally, having mechanical knowledge, the used tractors to me can be great. My current tractor is a John Deere 4100 with over 5500 hrs but it's been absolutely solid. Sure, it's not perfect but I just needed it to mow brush and cut the lawn, it's hard for me to justify spending tens of thousands for that alone.

/ Does Anyone Buy Used Tractors? #13  
i bought new only because there was nothing available that suited my needs (and the warranty was a nice factor) - i would have bought an old used tractor, but needed an open deck, 4wd. etc.
i have always bought and kept other used / old machines ... garden tractor (Jacobsen, vintage), lawn tractor (John Deere) and Zero Turn (cub cadet)
supply / shipping / availability of machines, and of parts, may be a current factor.
I tend to buy things that I find locally

/ Does Anyone Buy Used Tractors? #14  
I read a lot through the buying/pricing/comparison forums and see that almost everyone recommends new over used. I also see where most folks on here end up buying new. I know it is not everyone but it seems more common. I agree that used tractors are very expensive.

1. Is it because it is harder to finance and folks don't have the cash?
I don't think so, financing has never before been so easy, or new things so much preferred over used.

2. Is it because folks don't want to pay that much for used?
Maybe. Or it might be that they don't feel comfortable with mechanical things or would rather do something other than fix things. Either way, they prefer the mechanical responsibility be on someone else.

3. If the used market is so expensive and no one wants to pay, why does the price stay high? Or are they selling for a lot less than listing price?
Could be there are enough guys - it wouldn't take many - who value a proven owner-maintained low hour tractor more than a new one backed up by an unknown mechanic and warranty by same.
I feel that way, and know others who do too.

4. Are the used tractors even selling or do they just sit forever and not sell?
That's a good question.... If it is like anything else, the good ones get sold by word of mouth and never are advertised. Just needing to be advertised in order to sell automatically moves the value down a notch in my book.

5. I read a lot of statements about certain brands having higher resale value. Does this even matter if no one wants to pay for it because the resale value is so high?
I'm thinking that the answer is the same as #4 above..

6. This might not relate but I see a lot if used chainsaws for sale that are way overpriced as well. I guess folks pay for it and folks selling think they are worth near new prices.
I don't think it relates either. Chainsaws are more use-it-up items. Tractors can last a lifetime and still have useful life and value.

Whenever I am ready to get rid off something, I usually put a decent price on it and it sells quickly. Maybe I need to up my price when selling and be willing to wait 6 months.
To each his own. I put a decent price on it and ask around. If it needs fixing, I fix it first. If I can't fix it, I make sure the buyer understands what that means, and price it accordingly.
rScotty

/ Does Anyone Buy Used Tractors? #15  
I bought new for a couple reasons.

1. Warranty
2. Older tier 4 units are worse than the newer models
3. Price was not that much less for used
4. Have you seen how the average CUT owner abuses their tractor? I do not want a newbies learning device.

/ Does Anyone Buy Used Tractors? #16  
I bought my last used tractor from the local dealers rental fleet. It was 3 yrs old with 1k hours on it. Looked like somebody had gone over it with a baseball bat a couple of times but low hours and everything worked. I kept that used tractor 15 yrs - I put a starter and a cylinder on it both my fault.
Why buy new?

/ Does Anyone Buy Used Tractors? #17  
I bought my last used tractor from the local dealers rental fleet. It was 3 yrs old with 1k hours on it. Looked like somebody had gone over it with a baseball bat a couple of times but low hours and everything worked. I kept that used tractor 15 yrs - I put a starter and a cylinder on it both my fault.
Why buy new?
Why? Because it’s hard to find a decent used machine that can be bought for a significant discount price over new. And finding the model you want equipped the way you want is even more difficult.

/ Does Anyone Buy Used Tractors? #18  
Both my tractors were bought used. No way could I justify buying new...I'm not farming/ranching and a tractor is not essential for me. But I grew up on a tractor...those were good days and good memories so nostalgia I guess is why I wanted one. Plus, I do have quite a few acres and enjoy keeping the place cleaned up and neatly maintained. Hard to do without a tractor.

/ Does Anyone Buy Used Tractors? #19  
I’ve always bought used equipment, usually very used equipment. There’s no way I could have build my business using new equipment.

/ Does Anyone Buy Used Tractors? #20  
These days why buy used when new is often the same price or cheaper?

Case in point - used 8 ton running gear - $800. Tires cracked. Frame bent. Rusty everything. Steering all FU. Bearings likely toast. New tires would cost $200/ea so I'm in for $1600 and still have to worry about losing a load towing down the road.

Brand new 8 ton running gear $1600. With warranty. No worries. Why would I buy someone's POS headaches that will end up wasting me a lot of time? I want to get a job done, not screw around fixing old worn tools to try and do the job to "save money".

When it comes to expensive equipment you often are better off renting than buying. Write off 100% of the rental expense in the year you do the job. Let someone else worry about maintenance and repairs and depreciation.