Importing and modifying a new mini excavator from China

/ Importing and modifying a new mini excavator from China #391  
My bid was $5,250 , so almost another grand for all the other BS.
That was why I had to set myself a firm limit on machines I was bidding on in the auctions. (bigger ones).
The auctions charging as much as 10% buyers premium, then another 4% for being an internet bidder, then state sales tax, then if the machine was far away, having to ship it. By then, it's priced right out the market.

I have seen so many of these, did you get one that was still shrink wrapped?

/ Importing and modifying a new mini excavator from China
I have seen so many of these, did you get one that was still shrink wrapped?
My first was crated and shipped LCL. The other 2 I got and sold were from a 20' container of 6 units, which you just drove out of the container. Some sellers are shipping them stacked in a full container, so I think they can pack 12 units into a 20. But you have to be able to unstack them from the container, which requires a hefty fork lift and a good loading dock. And a bit of assembly.

/ Importing and modifying a new mini excavator from China #394  
I had set my limit at $5,000 but had been in a bidding war with a guy who was buying them all.Turned out his limit was $5,000 and bidding increments were $250. You'r right Timber you need to figure on about a grand per 5 grand. Don't forget auctions will charge 2.9% if you put it on a card.
ArlyA just do it...... You can plow you'r driveway one 17" bucket at a time. Life is to short not to own lots of machines.

/ Importing and modifying a new mini excavator from China #395  
Sorry Timber, yes it was shrink / film wrapped.

/ Importing and modifying a new mini excavator from China #396  
My first was crated and shipped LCL. The other 2 I got and sold were from a 20' container of 6 units, which you just drove out of the container. Some sellers are shipping them stacked in a full container, so I think they can pack 12 units into a 20. But you have to be able to unstack them from the container, which requires a hefty fork lift and a good loading dock. And a bit of assembly.
I put my order in and they told me it would be coming in a 20ft by itself. I am getting 3.5ton zero tail model with quick attach, hyd. thumb, 24" bucket, rake, and 1000mm cleaning bucket.
He was telling me that 20ft HC containers are nearly impossible to get and if you can get one it is a $$premium and added wait time. 40HC are no problem. They will be shipping the cab unattached so it will fit in a regular 20 ft. He sent me a video showing how the cab attaches and un attaches. I should be able to make up a sling and lift it in place with my tractor forks. They are also going to send me walk around video when it is done and it would be a continuous video with no breaks so I could see that the machine they are showing me is the machine I get with my VIN plate and also show it being test run.

/ Importing and modifying a new mini excavator from China #397  
So heres what I haven't told you. I pulled a trailer for almost six hours last Friday to pick up my mini from RB Auctions. I started it and proceeded to move it when fluid shot out of the right hub motor lines. The restrictors going in to the 50MM bosses on top of the motor had been sheered off. They offered to fork it on my trailer but of course i refused. "No worky - No takey" I said. They agreed to fixing it (For free). I also told them I expected to be comped for time and mileage . They said we could work something out...( sounds a little off the mark since they wouldn't work a deal right then ). What is the groups opinion on how to proceed with this minor hassle ?
Timber, way to go man. I wish the 1tons had zero swing. It wouldn't be hard to do. make the footprint wider. 48" would probably do it.

Last edited:
   / Importing and modifying a new mini excavator from China #398  
Might as well let them fix it as long their "fix" isn't some jury rigged set up. Since it is Ritchie Bros., I'm sure they have dozens of these scattered around the country that they can cannibalize a couple hydraulic lines for you.
Or, just go on EquipmentFacts and see where all the other auctions are that have the same model.

RB has a huge yard about a half hr. away from me in Butner, NC right along I 85.

Last edited:
   / Importing and modifying a new mini excavator from China #399  
Have you ever dealt with them? Seem like a giant company, just hope they'r to big to not give a **** about us small fish.
I was told they would have to check with some vendors to find the parts. Would be a lot less trouble to cannibalize.

/ Importing and modifying a new mini excavator from China #400  
I never dealt with them. I always got outbid.