Share Pics of People Hauling or Towing Something Wrong

/ Share Pics of People Hauling or Towing Something Wrong #18,361  
One of the nice things about a receiver hitch is it is easy to remove the hitch from the receiver when not in use. The only reasons for leaving it permanently in the receiver are stupidity and laziness. I keep mine under the back seat until I am in front of the trailer. Saves my shins, as well as others, from unnecessary pain.
Well, no argument on the shins. :oops: I leave mine in if I figure I'll be using a trailer again within the next couple weeks, otherwise I'll store it in the shop. No sense lugging it around with me.
I saw someone claim that because the bumper is supposed to be the farthest thing back, a hitch is in violation, but it's not actually called out in the law books, and there are countless statements on the net saying that there are no laws in any of the states outlawing leaving it in.
I suppose there are weird laws everywhere, but I've never heard of anyone getting a ticket for having a hitch on their vehicle with no trailer attached. As far as sticking out the back, what about bike carriers? I see plenty of them, and they hang out way further than a hitch.

/ Share Pics of People Hauling or Towing Something Wrong #18,362  
I suppose you can't drive or park with the tail gate down? Sticks out past the bumper and the hitch.

Or how about a hitch step?

or a hitch carrier?

/ Share Pics of People Hauling or Towing Something Wrong #18,363  

Extended Loads​

(Texas Transportation Code 621.206)​

1. A vehicle or combination of vehicles may not carry a load that extends more than three feet beyond its front or, except as permitted by other law, more than four feet beyond its rear.
  2. Subsection (a) above does not apply to vehicles collecting garbage, rubbish, refuse, or recyclable materials which are equipped with front-end loading attachments and containers provided that the vehicle is actively engaged in the collection of garbage, rubbish, refuse, or recyclable materials.

This is statute for Texas. Extended Loads | Department of Public Safety Most states seem to have similar laws. Reading further you will find that means 4 feet beyond the rear bumper.

/ Share Pics of People Hauling or Towing Something Wrong #18,364  
This is statute for Texas. Extended Loads | Department of Public Safety Most states seem to have similar laws. Reading further you will find that means 4 feet beyond the rear bumper.
California and Idaho are also 4 feet from taillight.

As far as leaving the hitch in the receiver... Mine stays in because I'm often going to or from hauling a trailer, and see no need to keep removing it. My truck has a trailer hooked up to it 70-80% of the miles it runs.

/ Share Pics of People Hauling or Towing Something Wrong #18,365  
Same here - I may only put 2000 miles on my truck in a year and 1800 of them are with a trailer so it is not worth removing it anyway.

/ Share Pics of People Hauling or Towing Something Wrong #18,366  
How can a sharp lawyer apply that one it's his clients fault for running into the back of the truck?????
Again that is not what I said. I said you are liable for additional damages, damages over and above what would have occurred had you not had a spike sticking out of the back of your vehicle.

You are trying to pretend I said your drawbar makes you responsible for all damages when getting rear-ended.

/ Share Pics of People Hauling or Towing Something Wrong #18,367  
I tried to remove the hitch from my last company truck before it was traded. After 4 years it had rusted into place so badly that I couldn't get it out... even after hooking a chain to a tree and pulling in 4 Lo. The steel in those isn't the highest quality and rusts easily. That's why when Diggin was posting about his '98 Yukon I suggested he replace the receiver.

/ Share Pics of People Hauling or Towing Something Wrong #18,368  
Again that is not what I said. I said you are liable for additional damages, damages over and above what would have occurred had you not had a spike sticking out of the back of your vehicle.

You are trying to pretend I said your drawbar makes you responsible for all damages when getting rear-ended.
Sorry, but that is incorrect, you are not liable for additional damage to the offending vehicle. The hitch is a standard, commonly accepted legal attachment and does not cause you any additional liability for damage to the vehicle that hits you. The person that hit you is at fault and the damage caused by your vehicle is not an issue.

/ Share Pics of People Hauling or Towing Something Wrong #18,370  

Liable for what damages???? Your the one not making sense.

Your not liable for any damages if someone hits you.

If you back into some, then yes your liable for damages.