trail clearing technique and tools

/ trail clearing technique and tools
I did order some treated camp pants from LL Bean but i can't recall the maker of them. Looking on Amazoine I'm surprised they offer so few. The company Insect shield seems to have the most

Over the long weekend, we hope to do some reblazing to our trail. Ours will be blue.
paint blazing.jpg

/ trail clearing technique and tools #873  
Over the long weekend, we hope to do some reblazing to our trail. Ours will be blue.View attachment 802408
skiers: "is that a patch of snow on the tree or a trail sign???" *throw snowball at tree* ok looks like snow, we must not actually be on the trail

Blue's a good idea, trails in this general area tend to have a blue diamond on the tree (usually like a 4"x4" piece of metal or plastic)

Metal or plastic blazes got voted out by the NPS, NTC and NFS due to nails and other reasons. Like harvesting trees with plastic and steel in them. We paint blazes which are about the same size as a dollar bill.

/ trail clearing technique and tools #875  
Metal or plastic blazes got voted out by the NPS, NTC and NFS due to nails and other reasons. Like harvesting trees with plastic and steel in them. We paint blazes which are about the same size as a dollar bill.
Our timber-managing landlord has stated aluminum nails are acceptable. That they use aluminum nails also.

We have need of posting "No Trespassing" signs. Then for trail markers we are allowed to use staple guns.

Aluminum nails were the standard X years ago. I'd guess volunteers would switch to steel when not noticed.

/ trail clearing technique and tools #877  
Aluminum nails were the standard X years ago. I'd guess volunteers would switch to steel when not noticed.
I guess it is a matter of trust. Of lost trust for not honoring the landlord's wishes to use aluminum nails.

We still have our landlord's trust.

I guess it is a matter of trust. Of lost trust for not honoring the landlord's wishes to use aluminum nails.

We still have our landlord's trust.
This was decided in Washington DC during meetings with the North Country Trail, the Appalachian Trail Conservancy, the Park service and the National Forest Service. Feel free to contact them and ask them the particulars of this decision. Our land owner asked for paint and its use, works fine.

Out on our trails and did some re-blazing yesterday. In the blazing kit is,

disposable gloves,
steel brush with scrapper,
plastic cup to hold wet brush,
Extra brushes,
sharp hatchet for tree scrapping,
in the 2 containers is,
Blue blazing paint,
Wet rag with paint thinner.
P1060724.jpg
P1060726.jpg