Buying Advice Are TYM tractors junk?

/ Are TYM tractors junk? #71  
A dealer near us just dropped Mahindra and picked up TYM/Branson. Lower price is the only reason anyone here considers them

/ Are TYM tractors junk? #72  
A dealer near us just dropped Mahindra and picked up TYM/Branson. Lower price is the only reason anyone here considers them
This from someone who has never operated them. You can make a reasonable argument that they don't have as big or mature of a dealer network, but the equipment is every bit as good as the Green and Orange brands.

/ Are TYM tractors junk? #73  
This from someone who has never operated them. You can make a reasonable argument that they don't have as big or mature of a dealer network, but the equipment is every bit as good as the Green and Orange brands.

We don't know which is good and which is not. I agree that the lesser known brands with fewer dealers may be as good or may not. They may also be better. They certainly do cost less. The question is always just how much of a gamble is their reliability?

Reliability seems to be a fair question to ask. Tractor conversations come back to reliability as the one thing that matters most with machinery. Not price, convenience, or features. All those are secondry.

So if a person is technically knowledgeable enough to evaluate mechanical things, judge reliabiility, and also able to fix mechanical/hydraulic/electrical problems then taking that lower priced gamble would make sense to me.

Otherwise, not.

rScotty

/ Are TYM tractors junk? #74  
I agree with rScotty reliability is a fair question. However, reliability is subjective and is more of an opinion vs reality.

We see people post all the time that they have a lemon tractor and x brand is just junk. Then we never hear from them again. This is because whenever there is a failure of any kind it is easy to blame manufactures or dealers. But rarely do people want to blame themselves.

Most of the issues with all brands I see people post about can be traced back to operator error. This is more common now because so many people are new at operating equipment. They do not have the knowledge or understanding of what the limits of their equipment are and push it well beyond.

They say it has been regularly serviced, or have followed the maintenance schedules, but that often means they greased it from time to time. Or they say I changed the oil so why would the front axle break. No understanding of what to look for to keep any equipment going.

/ Are TYM tractors junk? #75  
My next size up tractor I'll be looking at TYM and Kioti. Kubota and John Deere won't be in the list because of their price.
I will probably end up with another Yanmar because I think they're better than Kubota and they're not as expensive.

If you live within 1 hour of Yanmar dealer you owe it to yourself to look at them.

I have owned Kubota b7800 and I currently have a Kubota g6200 garden tractor. also had a grasshopper 725d with the Kubota diesel in it. Great engines and great products.

I now have a Yanmar .engine and it starts and runs better than any of the kubotas I've owned. That is not a knock on Kubota I think they make great products it just speaks to what I think about Yanmar..

If the op was saying that he was starting a business where he would be using tractors to make a living I would tell him to go with Kubota because of dealer support being more prevalent.

Last edited:
   / Are TYM tractors junk? #76  
I agree with rScotty reliability is a fair question. However, reliability is subjective and is more of an opinion vs reality.

We see people post all the time that they have a lemon tractor and x brand is just junk. Then we never hear from them again. This is because whenever there is a failure of any kind it is easy to blame manufactures or dealers. But rarely do people want to blame themselves.

Most of the issues with all brands I see people post about can be traced back to operator error. This is more common now because so many people are new at operating equipment. They do not have the knowledge or understanding of what the limits of their equipment are and push it well beyond.

They say it has been regularly serviced, or have followed the maintenance schedules, but that often means they greased it from time to time. Or they say I changed the oil so why would the front axle break. No understanding of what to look for to keep any equipment going.
I agree with this 100%.

Front axle failures fit this post perfectly. Most of the front axle issues comes from people thinking they're running a skidsteer, even though in their head they think they're not abusing it. Yet, they run over sized attachments or push the thing to max limit every time.

Seals, bearings, grenaded gears, busted knuckles, etc. I'm very surprised how much of that stuff manufacturers will actually cover under warranty. If I were a manufacturer myself, I would have a very hard time cover some issues on a loader tractor.

/ Are TYM tractors junk? #77  
Another member has been shopping for a cab tractor. He was quoted $32-33K for a 48 hp TYM T474c (likely without any options) but quoted something like $42k for a 39.6hp Kioti cab with a third function and some options.

How much markup do dealers actually have?

/ Are TYM tractors junk? #78  
Another member has been shopping for a cab tractor. He was quoted $32-33K for a 48 hp TYM T474c (likely without any options) but quoted something like $42k for a 39.6hp Kioti cab with a third function and some options.

How much markup do dealers actually have?
To be fair, not many options on the TYM. Most stuff you want is standard. Maybe a 3rd function and extra remotes (I think the 474 has only one set standard).

/ Are TYM tractors junk? #79  
I'm guessing the TYM is maybe $5,000 less than the retail price of the Kioti. That makes me wonder if there is $5,000 more markup in the Kioti because I would think their manufacturing costs would be similar?

/ Are TYM tractors junk? #80  
All machines break or wear out. Dealer support and parts are what keeps machines working. If you're considering a TYM check their dealer network. While Deere, Kubota, et al are established and support machines 50 ,75 years old... the new machines chock full of electronics are a near future scrap heap. Once the computer is not supported, a failed controller turns the useful tractor into a parts donor.
There's places you can send a computer to that will fix it.