Lift capabilities

/ Lift capabilities #1  

Mtsoxfan

Platinum Member
Tractor
New Holland TC29D
I own a New Holland TC 29D. My neighbor asked me for a favor, I said I would help, if I could. Sadly, they are putting down one of their 30+ year old horses. They asked me if I would place in grave. Someone with an excavator is doing the digging prior, but can't stay around to lower horse. I'm not sure if I'm reading manual correctly, but it would seem like the lifting capabilities are 800#. Research shows the average horse is 1000# to 1200#. Yes, I know that there are wide variables to horse weight. This particular horse has been unable to gain weight despite vet recommended diet, and will not be able to survive the winter. Still, when standing next to it, seems big to a non horse knowledgeable person. I don't want to disrespect the horse by not being able to lift it, which I was going to accomplish by strapping the legs. Not sure if that is the best way either. Strap is 25'ish 7500# rating.
Any help would be appreciated.

/ Lift capabilities #2  
You need to have the excavator do it if you’re going to do it in a a respectful method. Even if the tractor did pick it up which I doubt, it won’t have the reach to place the horse in the hole. Obviously you could just drag it in but I doubt that’s the option the owners are looking for.

Last edited:
   / Lift capabilities #3  
Your NH only specs out at 875 pounds lift at full height at the pins,
with a breakout of 1600 at the pins.

No way you can lift and set a horse.

/ Lift capabilities #4  
I’ve done a lot of horses for folks. The key is to not have them help unless they understand how you need to do it with the equipment you have. Exactly like 4570 said, even if you can lift it very few soils will support your front tires with that kind of weight next to a hole deep enough for a horse.

/ Lift capabilities
You need to have the excavator do it if you’re going to do it in a a respectful method. Even if the tractor did pick it up which I doubt, it won’t have the reach to place the horse in the hole. Obviously you could just drag it in but I doubt that’s the option the owners are looking for.
Thanks. I would never do anything but respectfully lower that horse.
I thought it might be out of tractor
Your NH only specs out at 875 pounds lift at full height at the pins,
with a breakout of 1600 at the pins.

No way you can lift and set a horse.
Thanks.

/ Lift capabilities
I’ve done a lot of horses for folks. The key is to not have them help unless they understand how you need to do it with the equipment you have. Exactly like 4570 said, even if you can lift it very few soils will support your front tires with that kind of weight next to a hole deep enough for a horse.
Mute point, as I have confirmation of capabilities, but I was going to drive down sloped side. It will be dug side to side for that purpose, not from short side. Thanks.

/ Lift capabilities #7  
Mute point, as I have confirmation of capabilities, but I was going to drive down sloped side. It will be dug side to side for that purpose, not from short side. Thanks.

It would take more time to dig a slopped hole than to stick around and lower the horse. Since it doesn’t sound like a medical emergency why don’t they schedule the euthanasia and the hole digging for the same time?

/ Lift capabilities #8  
Weekend or after work excavator, and Vets only doing 9-5 work day.

/ Lift capabilities
It would take more time to dig a slopped hole than to stick around and lower the horse. Since it doesn’t sound like a medical emergency why don’t they schedule the euthanasia and the hole digging for the same time?
It's a working man who uses it for work. Doing it as a favor, that's how we roll around here... Vet has a schedule as well. Not idea situation.

/ Lift capabilities #10  
You will need more lifting capacity to do it safely and respectfully. Have the horse put down during the day, near where you want to bury it and cover it with a tarp weighted down. Bury it in the evening or the next day. Use chains on the legs, not straps. One end wrapped around both front legs and the other end around both back legs. Use the bucket to pick up the chain in the middle. The excavator then picks up the horse and carries it to the hole.

Our warmbloods weight 1400# to 1500#. Twice on our property we used a Case 580 backhoe to dig the hole, lower a horse into it, and fill in the hole. Took less than an hour. It worked out well for us.