Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #13,231  
It's basically is the same as the OTA updates you run on a smart phone, home computer etc.

No kidding. Some of us don't want to drive, or be driven rather, by our damned phones.

To some of us, these things you love, are a special form of ******* hell.

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #13,232  
With all the home charging and not everyone having solar offset it still amazed me with kWh costs heading to 50 cents just how many olug in electrics I see everyday.

It's all fun and games for the jerk-offs that can afford to bathe in all this opulence; everyone else had better buckle up.

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #13,233  
No kidding. Some of us don't want to drive, or be driven rather, by our damned phones.

To some of us, these things you love, are a special form of ******* hell.
While some seem to wish for a premature death so they do not have to drive an EV someday, but I'm not in that camp.

I did not sign up for social security until age 70. Therefore, I want to live long enough to make it worth my effort. So I prefer driving the safest car on the road today versus a less than best safe car.

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #13,234  
If you're not planning to buy an EV in 2024, ignore.

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #13,235  
It's basically is the same as the OTA updates you run on a smart phone, home computer etc.
That's what I was afraid of. At least there are ways to disable these auto updates in Windows, don't know about smart phones since I don't have one. I for one would like the ability to choose whether/when/which updates to take, and take a pass on the ones that just offer "cool new features" I'll never use, or change how things operate for the sake of change. And let's not even get started on the updates that break something or reset everything to the default settings. 🤬 Bad enough on a computer, let alone on a 5000 lb vehicle that could kill you and/or others.
While some seem to wish for a premature death so they do not have to drive an EV someday, but I'm not in that camp.

I did not sign up for social security until age 70. Therefore, I want to live long enough to make it worth my effort. So I prefer driving the safest car on the road today versus a less than best safe car.
Who is saying they want to die so they don't need to drive an EV? It's not a technology that I'm very excited about, but I'm not looking for the final solution to get out of it either.

I guess it depends on how much of a nanny vehicle you want, and how much you trust that technology to work should you need it. Knock on wood, but the only accident I've had in the last 50 years was someone who ran a stop sign and T-boned me. No injuries. I doubt your "best safe car" would have prevented that.

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #13,236  

Come on now, why all the hyperbole Gale? You are starting to sound like a global warming alarmist telling us we're all going to die. We will all die prematurely if we don't buy one of your precious Teslas? Can't they stand on their own merit?

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #13,237  
Come on now, why all the hyperbole Gale? You are starting to sound like a global warming alarmist telling us we're all going to die. We will all die prematurely if we don't buy one of your precious Teslas? Can't they stand on their own merit?
Of course they cannot stand on their own merit.

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #13,238  
Touching that you love my post and your interest in EVs of today and tomorrow. Otherwise, I know you would not be reading the thread and posting anymore than a clear thinking man would go into a bar and complain to the bartender about his serving of alcoholic drinks. :)

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #13,239  
Maybe automakers could go back to building vehicles you can actually see out of and eliminate all these cameras/screens. Just one more thing to break IMHO.
The screen went out in Mom's Caddy last year, and it took something like 45-60 days for the dealer to receive a replacement. So, no heat, no radio controls... no nuthin' for a month or two. To GM's credit, the vehicle was still drivable, just not very pleasanty without climate controls in Florida heat.

The thing that bothers me the most about the huge displays is that it usually means the manufacturers have done away with physical switches.
Not true. In fact, over recent years I've noticed they're reversing course, and adding back most critical functions that had been previously moved to touch screens. Manufacturers have heard loud and clear, that customers and consumer agencies consider a non-tactile screen to be dangerous, for functions you might need to access while driving. If you look at a 2023 model versus a 2015 model, you'll find that on many vehicles, functions that had been once moved into the screen are now appearing again in buttons and knobs.

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #13,240  
California has grossly mismanaged their electric utilities even before Enron.
I'll admit I don't remember all of the details, but I believe it was prior mismanagement that allowed Enron to happen, in the first place.