Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #13,771  
This is a hoot...:
"Last year, Panasonic Energy broke ground on a 4 million-square-foot EV project in De Soto, Kansas, one of the largest facilities of its kind in the U.S. To meet energy demands, Evergy, the utility company serving the factory, will continue burning coal at part of its nearby Lawrence Energy Center"
Isn't that great! Making something useful out of coal.

Oh wait, you thought coal was bad?

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #13,772  
If you upgrade your rental then of course your renters will be paying for the upgrade. Or possibly one day you will have to upgrade just to rent the place.
So true! I know a local lady whose husband was a builder and they built a lot of apartments and he died with two young kids and she did a good job of keeping going and she got upset because she could no longer rent her apartments because everybody else in the college town started adding washers and dryers. She complained a lot but she put in washers and dryers.

Since the number of EVS on the road are climbing each year as the ICE vehicles declining numbers is a fact the same thing will happen to people renting apartments that don't make ready for EVS charging on premises.

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #13,773  
If your definition of nice is "runs, usually", then maybe. Kia, hyundai, honda, toyota are automatically off the list. I had a chevy trax as a rental once, and it was embarrassing.

These are all uncomfortable cars, with high road noise, poor build quality, no options, and no personality. That's fine for some people, but I like driving to be an experience, and I like to like my car.
I like my Economy car. 6 spd turbo diesel VW gets 50 mpg. I feel a lot smarter driving that these days than a pickup truck when all I need is to carry is something small. I've had luxury SUVs in the past, they were expensive to buy, reister, insure, and operate in my experience. The Beetle is fun to zip around in, easy to park, and feed. To each their own ~ I'm not saying it's right for anybody else... I have hotrods when I need to drive them.

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #13,774  
Costs that will be passed onto the consumer, no doubt. But if the number seems too large, then I think you're underestimating what I spend in gasoline over the lifetime of a vehicle, let alone the lifetime of the 30A or 50A receptacle that will replace it!
I bought a 60A Square-D QO breaker on Amazon recently to upgrade my 50A circuit. Darn, I paid $33, is currently $25.

50' of 6/3 UF Stranded CU is $185 at Lowes.

A NEMA 14-50R outlet is $10. $10 more for a metal box. $5 for cover plate.

Add a few more dollars for hardware to clamp the wire to the box and distribution panel.

Then double that to pay for labor.

A Tesla Mobile Connector (40A circuit required but 50A is code for a 14-50 outlet) is $235 from Tesla. This is something the renter should be providing.

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #13,775  
Twisting as usual.

The claim was "charging stations" not "public charging stations." You are welcome to count private gas pumps such as one might have at the farm.
Well...thanks! By that reasoning I have over 20 gas stations for all the cars, tractors, mowers, etc.!
Lots of ICE choices under $25K "out the door" and not a stripped base model either.
But...to each his, her, 'it's' own.

Last edited:
   / Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #13,776  
Charging is affected by battery temperature. They will still charge cold, but only very inefficiently. Best to know when you'll be charging, and start a battery heating cycle in advance. Of course, if you're scraping the bottom of the charge barrel, you may not have electrons to spare for the heaters, as you limp toward the charging station. Plan your routes, accordingly.
At least one of the fool Chicago TV reporters blamed drivers for "not pushing the precondition button" before they arrived. There isn't a precondition button. If a Supercharger is selected by the nav system then a Tesla will precondition the battery en route. Else if necessary it will start heating the battery when the charge umbilical is connected.

But if the charge connector is full of ice no amount of battery heating will help.

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #13,777  
Certainly not what I spend.
I can buy a nice ICE for $25K.
You could also have bought a Chevrolet Bolt for $25k.
An EV is over $50K...so let's say $25K difference.
But you didn't buy an EV and you didn't buy a "nice ICE" for $25k.

My 2023 Tesla Model Y Long Range with the $1000 option color blue and $1000 towing option was $49,000 off the lot. No tax credit.

Months ago we resolved this by observing the average price paid by an American for a new car was around $50k. How an interesting RAV4 (not a luxurious car by any measure) was over $50k.

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #13,778  
2024 Nissan Versa: $16,130
2024 Mitsubishi Mirage: $16,695
2024 Kia Forte: $19,790
2024 Hyundai Venue: $19,800
2024 Kia Soul: $19,990
2024 Chevrolet Trax: $20,400
2024 Nissan Kicks: $20,790
2024 Nissan Sentra: $20,790
2024 Volkswagen Jetta $21,435
2024 Hyundai Elantra: $21,475
2024 Toyota Corolla: $21,900
2024 Buick Envista: $22,400
2024 Subaru Impreza: $22,995
2024 Chevrolet Trailblazer: $23,100
2024 Ford Maverick: $23,400
2024 Honda Civic: $23,950
2024 Volkswagen Taos: $23,995
2024 Honda HR-V: $24,100
2024 Hyundai Kona: $24,100
2024 Mazda3: $24,170
2024 Kia Seltos: $24,390
2024 Subaru Legacy: $24,895
2024 Mazda CX-30: $24,995
Now list dealers who 1) have one of those base models on the lot, and 2) will accept sticker price.

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #13,779  
Well...thanks! By that reasoning I have over 20 gas stations for all the cars, tractors, mowers, etc.!
Lots of ICE choices under $25K "out the door" and not a stripped base model either.
But...to each his, her, 'it's' own.
Again you are twisting what I said into something of your own fantasy.

Most EV buyers have 240V L2 charging at home.

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #13,780  
That is a long list of cars selling for less than 50% of the average new car price in the USA today.
And one is not going to find any base models on dealer's lots. Might find a dealer who will order one.