Tell us something we don’t know.

/ Tell us something we don’t know. #7,431  
We used to live in rural New England where there weren't and still aren't many people. We had a few miles of stone walls and I often thought of the labor that went into clearing the fields. It must have been an unimaginable task.

We sometimes went chasing partridge up near the Quebec border, many miles from anywhere and you would stumble cross old stone walls and basement foundations. Stone cattle loading ramps. Talk about hardy people to live there 100-200+ years earlier.

We found foundations and old walls where you would never expect them. We could find an old lilac bush or even flower bulbs that still came up each spring and took cuttings to take home. We would just sit there and wonder what life would have been like. You were born there and died there and now no one knows you were there.
In Vermont and New Hampshire, The reintroduction of TREES as ground cover is a rather recent thing. That all started in the middle to late 1800s. ;-)

/ Tell us something we don’t know. #7,433  
In Vermont and New Hampshire, The reintroduction of TREES as ground cover is a rather recent thing. That all started in the middle to late 1800s. ;-)
Maybe even later than that, if they're like here. My family has lived in the same area (New Hope, Bucks County PA) since the late 1600's, so we've collected a few old paintings and photos over the years, showing various houses and places around the area. It's always amazing how few trees there were in these old photos and paintings, by comparison today, a result of just how wood-hungry the population was at a time when they were not only heating their homes with the stuff, but also all building materials were locally-sourced.

/ Tell us something we don’t know. #7,434  
In my area of upstate New York much of the wood was cleared out between building and heating, Most farms that didn't have attached wood lots would have one on a nearby hill side that was nonproductive farm ground for heating. With many places not getting electricity till the 1930's or later and oil fired furnaces going into vogue into the 1940's and 50's with wood being the primary heat source it was actually scare in many areas. Many of the fields that people worked with horses have turned back into actual wood lots as they were/are to steep and rough to work with tractors of any size.
When I look out my windows at the trees that surround my place, almost none of them existed in photos from the 40's. My place was actually a hill side orchard with small hay meadows above me, now it's all treed.

/ Tell us something we don’t know. #7,435  
Minimum wage in Maine is over $14hr regardless of age. We also have to "bank " personal time they accrue and give them that off. Sadly the state has taken a turn for the worse under the current governor

/ Tell us something we don’t know. #7,436  
In my area of upstate New York much of the wood was cleared out between building and heating, Most farms that didn't have attached wood lots would have one on a nearby hill side that was nonproductive farm ground for heating. With many places not getting electricity till the 1930's or later and oil fired furnaces going into vogue into the 1940's and 50's with wood being the primary heat source it was actually scare in many areas. Many of the fields that people worked with horses have turned back into actual wood lots as they were/are to steep and rough to work with tractors of any size.
When I look out my windows at the trees that surround my place, almost none of them existed in photos from the 40's. My place was actually a hill side orchard with small hay meadows above me, now it's all treed.
I helped clear trails and an old stone cellar from late 1800's in NH. There was a root cellar they clearly used with a small apple orchard still there that we cut the small oaks and bittersweet around trying to choke the apple trees out. Nice to keep that history alive.

/ Tell us something we don’t know. #7,437  
In 2023 China is no longer the largest importer to the US. MEXICO surpassed them! (y)

/ Tell us something we don’t know. #7,438  
In Canada all pine trees are owned by the government if you wish to cut the pine trees on your own proprety you need to pay royalty on them. This is a old condition made by England when Canada was given it's independence to reserve the rights to the pine trees in case of war for boat mast.

Last edited:
   / Tell us something we don’t know. #7,439  
In 2023 China is no longer the largest importer to the US. MEXICO surpassed them! (y)
I saw this prediction a while back... labor cost of China has been going up and productions has been going down while labor cost of Mexico is staying the same but production are increasing.

/ Tell us something we don’t know. #7,440  
In Canada all pine trees are owned by the government if you wish to cut the pine trees on your own proprety you need to pay royalty on them. This is a old condition made by England when Canada was given it's independence to reserve the rights to the pine trees in case of war for boat mast.
That must explain why they cut wood in Maine, haul it over to Canada, saw it and bring back as lumber. Solid thinking.