Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #15,711  
   / Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #15,712  
Ok…but…
What’s the price to have a solar system with battery storage installed, today?

Buy the expensive PV system with batteries first, then buy the expensive battery car, or the other way around?
When purchased at the same time the batteries qualify for all the solar incentives and the reason why many new installs incorporate batteries…

I would have to ask neighbors that have both… I know they are please but too early for battery end of life…

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #15,713  
I just reported this thread due to "political content"

I see another thread I enjoyed got closed for the same reason.

My point is that almost everything important is tied to politics in some way.

EVs are as political as one can get IMO.

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #15,714  
EVs are in our future. They are in their infancy in terms of development and will continue to improve. ICE has been around for over 100 years...not much left to tweak out of them.
Before there were ICE automobiles there were battery electric automobiles. Look it up. The thing that killed the early battery automobiles was the invention of the electric starter. Women would not drive a crank-start ICE.

Gale is right, Tesla is the only EV to consider if you want to spend over $40k. Nothing else makes sense currently unless you have money to burn and want to impress.
When car salesman asks, "how much do you want to spend?" I answer, "Nothing. Zero. Nada. But I'll probably pay more than that for a new car."

I don't ever "want to spend over $40k" but shopped and liked what I found, then bought.

IMO there is a market for a small "commuter car" and that is what the Asians are building. Think about the success of Civics, Corollas etc introduced over 50 years ago into the NA market and still going strong.
Yeah yeah yeah, heard that before. Same old, "all 95% ever need is an 80 mile EV."

Americans do not buy "small commuter cars". We buy SUVs and pickup trucks.

I will never buy a Tesla at over $40k because it does not meet my needs. Even it if did, I cannot get it serviced where I live. That does not make me an EV hater...just a realist.
You can't get it serviced because you haven't bothered to research. Tesla has mobile technicians. My sister paid $65 for a recent visit.

I am on the fence with hybrids. Are they best or worst of both technologies? Most get 40-50 miles on a charge, and for most daily needs that is enough. You can run the ICE and not worry about range anxiety. But you still have a battery that can degrade and needs to be replaced at some point. And you still have an ICE to service. It seems to me the complexity of integrating EV and ICE is higher, so more things that can go wrong.
Clearly you shouldn't drive on rubber tires. They degrade and need to be replaced at some point.

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #15,715  
I just reported this thread due to "political content"

I see another thread I enjoyed got closed for the same reason.

My point is that almost everything important is tied to politics in some way.

EVs are as political as one can get IMO.
At least there's some on topic discussion here. I try not to close the threads when the topic is still being discussed. In some of the other threads they begin as off topic and become entirely about politics. No point to those threads other than a chat.

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #15,716  
Ok…but…
What’s the price to have a solar system with battery storage installed, today?

Buy the expensive PV system with batteries first, then buy the expensive battery car, or the other way around?
Is so easy in this enlightened age to look this up for yourself.

10kW PV system with 20 kWh battery storage $33,900:

The 10 kWh battery with built-in inverters is $6,699. But to add battery backup one needs a gateway/disconnect to operate during power outages.

Similar without battery storage: $14,420

Installation extra.

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #15,717  

I'm very interested in the sales numbers across the board for Q1 this year. The Fed said Americans blew their wad by the end of last fall... So let's see how 2024 progresses when all of that govt money has run out.

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #15,718  
Opportunity cost of a solar system alone, will cover fuel for an ICE. I do get a kick out of a few YT channels who used electric tractors, claiming they charged them for FREE on solar. 🤔
My diesel cost me less than his electricity... Because though the sun is free, the harvesting equipment is not. My diesel cost includes the harvesting cost.

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #15,719  
At least there's some on topic discussion here. I try not to close the threads when the topic is still being discussed. In some of the other threads they begin as off topic and become entirely about politics. No point to those threads other than a chat.
Some posters are like a paternalistic parent. They look at other posters as children who have no voice to speak on their own and are only allowed to speak what the parent has told them to say.

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #15,720  
Opportunity cost of a solar system alone, will cover fuel for an ICE. I do get a kick out of a few YT channels who used electric tractors, claiming they charged them for FREE on solar. 🤔
My diesel cost me less than his electricity... Because though the sun is free, the harvesting equipment is not. My diesel cost includes the harvesting cost.
A lot of the people installing a solar system to charge their EV are also using the electricity produced to power other electrical powered devices.

Try doing that with a ICE vehicle. You can't even siphon gas out of most ICE powered vehicles today. Too many people were using what is referred to as a "West Virginia Credit Card") In lay persons language it is called a siphoning hose and car manufactures stepped forward with a restrictor device in the gas tank filler tube.

Last edited: