Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #15,731  
Low income not paying taxes or higher income also do not qualify for tax credits regardless of how much taxes they pay.
True, but a low income person would be more financially burdened by a battery vehicle, or solar setup and the inability to reduce the purchase costs with tax credits.

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #15,732  
Clearly tires don't generally cost up to 10's of thousands of dollars to replace on a car when they do
Tires cost the same to replace on a electric vehicle as on a internal combustion engine.

Now there is a lot of difference between what a battery for a electric vehicle cost versus what one cost for a internal combustion vehicle.

But look at it like this when you replace the battery on a electric vehicle you are also replacing the frame ("Many electric vehicle (EV) companies are adopting a structural battery design, integrating the battery into the car's structure.)" On a internal combustion vehicle you only replace the battery. If you replaced the motor and frame along with the battery the cost would probably be comparable or more.

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #15,733  
I'm guessing only a few people in this thread have an EV.

In November we bought an EV and I absolutely love it. But we don't drive more than 50 miles in any one direction and we charge it at home every night.

The vehicle itself wasn't any more than the ICE version of the same vehicle (since we bought it one year old and it had already taken an almost 50% depreciation hit) and the consumable savings are about $200/mo on 1,000 miles/mo.

Biggest advantage is the convenience of charging at home and the cost savings.

We also have an ICE vehicle in the driveway for any longer trips as I would not want to go more than 150 miles in a day without a charging plan.

A market like Southern California can support EV infrastructure easier than other markets. We basically have a bunch of freeway corridors so putting charging along those freeways is the way to scale it pretty easily. We're seeing lots of charging stations getting installed at the very back of shopping malls, which we have a lot of. You would never need to go more than maybe 3-5 miles to find a charger.

In rural America, forget about it. Population density would mean driving 10, 20, 30 miles to get to one charger for a lot of you. If you're charging at home, okay, but there are plenty of cases when you take a 100 mile trip, one way, and then you need to recharge somewhere. Needing to plan your entire day around being at a charger somewhere is a deal breaker. If you're a one-vehicle person, you wouldn't like the EV experience, let alone love it the way I do.

As for PHEVs, I think it's kind of the worst of all worlds in a way because you have the cost and complexities of both. The range on those is really short.

Non-plug-in hybrids make fine sense to me. My brother has a RAV4 hybrid (non-plug-in) and averages 40mpg on it. The gas models get about 30mpg. That's a nice bump that everyone would appreciate.

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #15,734  
Is so easy in this enlightened age to look this up for yourself.

10kW PV system with 20 kWh battery storage $33,900:

The 10 kWh battery with built-in inverters is $6,699. But to add battery backup one needs a gateway/disconnect to operate during power outages.

Similar without battery storage: $14,420

Installation extra.
With current technology it's estimated PV's will last approximately 20-25 years before their efficiency drops and they need replacement. I'm sure batteries would be similar. Difficult to impossible to project what replacement cost might be in 20-25 years, but surely much more than current cost (likely no government incentives down the road years out). If you have 'saved' any money using PV and a battery system does that savings vaporize when replacement time comes around there is a removal/disposal cost as well the cost for a new system?

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #15,735  
With current technology it's estimated PV's will last approximately 20-25 years before their efficiency drops and they need replacement. I'm sure batteries would be similar. Difficult to impossible to project what replacement cost might be in 20-25 years, but surely much more than current cost (likely no government incentives down the road years out). If you have 'saved' any money using PV and a battery system does that savings vaporize when replacement time comes around there is a removal/disposal cost as well the cost for a new system?

Battery lifespan is a lot less than 20-25 years. It’s 5-15.

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #15,736  
Still going strong......

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #15,737  
What most people don't factor in is compound interest. Two choices: buy a $48,000 solar system or invest that $48,000.
(If one finances, example given is WORSE!)
Last 10 years the S&P 500 (simply one example) returned 12.39%.
$48,000 ten years in an S&P index fund would yield $154,354.02 which doesn't make solar so attractive.
So as "return on investment", i.e. expenditure
"catches up" with electric bill you lose on the other end via investment potential.
The projected net increase is based on the premise the Stock Market investment is going to return 12.39% for 10 years.

“The US bear market of 2007–2009 was a 17-month bear market that lasted from October 9, 2007 to March 9, 2009, during the financial crisis of 2007–2009. The S&P 500 lost approximately 50% of its value.”

If the Feds had not pumped 9 trillion dollars in the Stock Market in 2018-2019 and cut interest rates the crash would have been greater than 2007-2009.

The low interest rates impacted Pension Funds and SS. SS money is taken as soon as it arrives and replaced with Treasury Securities in the SS Trust Fund.

The SS Trust fund holds a lot of the US Debt. A reported 2.7 Trillion dollars worth in 2022. The Feds reductions on interest rates cut the amount of interest money received on the 2.7 trillion which impacted how long SS funds would last

“As of December 2022 (estimated), the intra governmental debt was $6.18 trillion of the $31.4 trillion national debt. Of this $6.18 trillion, $2.7 trillion is an obligation to the Social Security Administration.”

The Stock Market is for long term investing. Seniors do not have long term life expectancy. Many a senior has lost everything they worked hard for all their lives by investing in the Stock Market.

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #15,738  
Clearly tires don't generally cost up to 10's of thousands of dollars to replace on a car when they do
Nor do EV batteries, which I have proven can last well in excess of 10 years. Mine was 93% at 10 years and TeslaFi said of 4 similar models subscribed to their system mine was #3. There was one worse, 2 better.

Everything in an automobile is a consumable. Engine, transmission, tires, brakes, etc.

You are basing EV battery fear on the pathetic life of an ICE starter battery. On the life of abused cellphone and laptop batteries.

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #15,740  
And...one for you!
2024_03_02_16.30.54.jpg