Question for those who live in California

/ Question for those who live in California #181  
None of my fire mitigation attributes factor and I'm in a city of 450,000

1 mile from two fire houses, upgraded high pressure city fire hydrant, fire resistive construction of which engineered roof framing to support the clay tile roof is number one.

The only thing factored is the fire rating for the area...

How a home with wood shake roof, single pane windows and not sprinklered can be rated the same as me is non sense.

My agent told me to avoid preferences or possible race based influence it's all now done by computer modeling with no boots on the ground inspections.

The only thing I could do to lower premiums is raise my deductible to 10k

I know everyone says how important insurance is but few have earthquake coverage and earthquake could be just as costly as fire...
My comment was specifically focused on rural locations.

/ Question for those who live in California #182  
I don't own anything outside a city limit but the impact is the same.

I have no idea what the ideal sought after home owner property would look like today... I know insurance doesn't like older urban nor sprawling rural so what's left... a few upscale gated residential communities in non urban non rural?

I have looked at semi rural in 2012 that checked all the boxes but the current owner was only able to maintain insurance through Lloyd's of London for a modern single family on 5 beautiful acres with only a few ornamental trees.

I know my agent broker friends have no clue anymore either.

Maybe California Fair Plan will be the only game in town?

/ Question for those who live in California #183  
I think the insurance companies handled the wildfire hazard risk rating wrongly. They should have inspected individual rural properties and then gave homeowners a price (high) for insuring under current high hazard conditions, and then a list of things people could do to get a lower rate (removing trees near house, thinning, brush removal, installing metal roof, etc…). Instead they rely on a generic location risk rating. There are lots of things people can do to considerably reduce wildfire hazards to structures.

When we rebuilt the outside of our house with fire proof siding and more fire resistant decking, I called the insurance agent. He congratulated me and said that the premiums would not change. I asked about the fire clearing I'd done, that didn't make a difference either.

I can understand why they don't want to go down to the individual property level- it's a lot of work- but it was still disappointing that nothing I do would matter to them.

Commercial fire risk models are getting more granular though, so the data they buy should be of higher quality even if it's not down to the individual property.

/ Question for those who live in California #184  
I reroofed a home with permits and the highest rated material which at the time was 27k for a one story ranch home that cost 27k new.

My agent was very pleased and said I will receive a 5% Fire reduction and then nothing.

I circled back and agent was told they no longer do that as building code requires the rating of the roof I had installed.

/ Question for those who live in California #185  
As I posted 9-28-20. The worst fire year in history. This is why insurors are cancelling. Improving individual fire resistance doesn't make much difference when we have massive fires that advance for miles. When I saw charcoaled pages of Reader's Digest fluttering down I decided it was time to get tf out of there. Shortly after, mass evacuation was ordered for much of the county,
Here an hour north of SF, ash is falling like light snow.

After sunrise this morning, light levels came up gradually but the smoke was so thick it was impossible to find the sun in the sky. Finally at 30 degrees above the horizon, above some of the smoke, it was a vague red blob.

Evacuation areas east of Santa Rosa keep getting expanded as the 'Shady' fire progresses westward. We're 10 miles west of that so no risk but with this smoke we're going to abandon the ranch and go back to our home in the Central Valley where smoke is lighter. Sure glad I got a couple more air purifiers recently. Indoor air isn't bad, just slight throat irritation.

20200928_163726rsmokysunwindmill-jpg.671336

20200928_164858rashondeck-jpg.671359

/ Question for those who live in California #186  
When we rebuilt the outside of our house with fire proof siding and more fire resistant decking, I called the insurance agent. He congratulated me and said that the premiums would not change. I asked about the fire clearing I'd done, that didn't make a difference either.

I can understand why they don't want to go down to the individual property level- it's a lot of work- but it was still disappointing that nothing I do would matter to them.

Commercial fire risk models are getting more granular though, so the data they buy should be of higher quality even if it's not down to the individual property.
Sadly, they don’t look at individual properties. Although I got a home insurance break when I called my agent and told them that I had installed steel roofing.

/ Question for those who live in California #187  
As I posted 9-28-20. The worst fire year in history. This is why insurors are cancelling. Improving individual fire resistance doesn't make much difference when we have massive fires that advance for miles. When I saw charcoaled pages of Reader's Digest fluttering down I decided it was time to get tf out of there. Shortly after, mass evacuation was ordered for much of the county,

20200928_163726rsmokysunwindmill-jpg.671336

20200928_164858rashondeck-jpg.671359
I served over 30 years on wildfire incident management teams. I was a situation unit leader and was always out front sizing up wildfire behavior and management strategy. I saw many of the largest wildfires in the U.S. between 1980 and 2012, when I hung up my hard hat. Yes, fuels management and making structures fire resistant does make a difference and often determines whether we can save structures or just write them off. It’s making a structure defensible that makes a difference. If a structure is too dangerous for crews to defend, they will write it off, but defensible situations are often protected from fires.

/ Question for those who live in California #188  
Someone in my area talked to their agent who told them that 2/3 of the policies in my zip code (all rural in the mountains) will be non renewed. Agents have the info now.
Is that State Farm, Eric? They seem to have a third of the state's HO policies.

I was recently renewed with State Farm and I used stated amount coverage instead of replacement cost +20%, which is the usual coverage. I also have a $1K deductible and no claims. I am at $1200/y. Much more than that and I will go bare, and put the money towards even more tree cutting.

I did just get a notice that "State Farm uses geographical rating that considers wildfire risk associated with your address. The range of available premium adjustments is currently -41.7% to +376.9%, and your adjustment is +27.7%."

/ Question for those who live in California #189  
I would love to be able to cut down some trees at moms but the city granted protected status to all tress except eucalyptus unless heritage...

Bottom line is pruning without injury ok... damaging or removing even a single tree such as a owner planted back yard walnut tree comes with a heavy cost and that is if done legally with permit, arborist inspection, neighborhood open comment, etc.

Just cutting it down could easily be thousands in fines.

Maybe part of the problem is regulations that impair fire safe practices... like blanket ban of gas powered brush and weed whackers.

/ Question for those who live in California #190  
Maybe part of the problem is regulations that impair fire safe practices...
That is one of the biggest problems, for sure.

I found a way to legally use small burn piles in my county, but I have to pay over $200 to the air district as a tax for the "privilege".

Tho cutting up to 10% of large trees (12DBH) is a right on 10+ acre parcels here, you can't sell them without a timber harvest permit or exemption. Tough to clean up downed trees.