Anyone ever had to clear thorny Locust trees?

/ Anyone ever had to clear thorny Locust trees? #41  
They say if you cut them 5 new ones will come up from the root. That’s why I spray the stumps. Then keep an eye on them to make sure they are dead. Persimmons are the same way.

/ Anyone ever had to clear thorny Locust trees? #42  
Thinking about this made me remember, a guy on Facebook Marketplace was selling honey locust trees. I would be more than willing to give them away. You have to dig yourself

/ Anyone ever had to clear thorny Locust trees? #43  
We had an infestation of those trees on some property I used to own in southern Illinois. It had was not been used for many years. There were a few of those in the fence rows that had gotten pretty big. From those there were little ones growing over a few acres. None were big and grew almost in clumps. I didn't have any money to buy anything bigger than a lawnmower but I did have goats. I managed to stretch an electric fence around the worst of the area and put the goats in there. Amazingly, they ate the small ones right to the ground. I was then able to get close to the big ones and cut and burned them in place. I was there for several more years and we never again had problems with those.

/ Anyone ever had to clear thorny Locust trees? #44  
I've never done it, but the best advice I've heard is to girdle the tree so that it dies, and then wait about 2 years to fell it. During that time, most of the thorns are supposed to fall off. This is advise I read concerning honey locust. I presume the same should work for a water locust. Either way, those things suck. I love cutting black locust for firewood, but you couldn't pay me enough to mess with anything that had those thorns.

/ Anyone ever had to clear thorny Locust trees? #45  
I've never done it, but the best advice I've heard is to girdle the tree so that it dies, and then wait about 2 years to fell it. During that time, most of the thorns are supposed to fall off. This is advice I read concerning honey locust. I presume the same should work for a water locust. Either way, those things suck. I love cutting black locust for firewood, but you couldn't pay me enough to mess with anything that had those thorns.

I've also read that the thorns can be burned off the tree if you kill the tree and wait for it to dry out, but haven't tried it yet. I girdled some this winter, but didn't spray them, and now they have green leaves.....

/ Anyone ever had to clear thorny Locust trees? #46  
I have them in our creek bottom. I spray with Remedy and diesel and leave them standing. Some that I pushed out if the way with my front loader had shoots come up. Sprayed and knocked them out. If they are in you way it is just careful work and burn pile out of your travel lanes. Gulley if available burn then cover. Good luck

/ Anyone ever had to clear thorny Locust trees? #47  
Water locust thorny trees! I am concerned about getting flats on the Mahinda 5010 tractor while clipping the pasture. Or my truck while riding through! Now and far into the future, but not sure how much the latter is a concern. It's because of what we always called Water Locust trees, incredibly thorny monsters. These things have thousands of thorns several inches long that are like nails, like super big hypodermic needles. If you've never seen one, check the image at the bottom. Growing up on the farm, we had to bushhog the pastures and we'd get flats from these thorns. So, what to do. How do you get rid of these? I could hire a forestry mulcher that has tracks and he could certainly do it. But how long would you need to not drive in that spot!

A couple of years ago in this same pasture, we cut some in the open pasture with a chainsaw and polesaw and carefully stacked every single limb and made brush piles. I am now going to burn those and hope every thorn burns! But I now need to clear a heavily infested spot, dozens of trees to reclaim that part of the pasture. What is the best method is the question. And also how long these thorns can remain a pest. Like, many years before they rot?

These trees are beautiful trees otherwise and make a great conversation topic; I would like to save a couple of the more picturesque ones but I worry about them shedding a limb here and there and... flats. The trees also makes great firewood but dealing with the massive thorn clusters, yikes. I suppose that these trees are cousins of the honey locust tree. I wish they were just black locust or the thornless honey locust variety.

GivenFile
Those are 'pretty' along side large numbers of locusts I had to deal with in pastures on in long ignored Sangamon River bottom pasture in IL. 3"+ and hard as nails. Once in a tire and kiss a tube goodby - they just keep working deeper. Bought a trackloader to deal with them, then a track skidsteer to mow the pastures.

/ Anyone ever had to clear thorny Locust trees? #48  
Yeats and years ago my older was going to ride our mule from barn to creek. The mule took of running under bunch low hanging of the tose trees, he look liked you shot with a shot gun .

/ Anyone ever had to clear thorny Locust trees? #49  
I've also read that the thorns can be burned off the tree if you kill the tree and wait for it to dry out, but haven't tried it yet. I girdled some this winter, but didn't spray them, and now they have green leaves.....
The first time we girdled trees, we had the same experience. My dad did it with my brother in law. I went back with him the following winter and I made 2 cuts 4" to " apart and went the full depth of the bar. All but 26 out of 28 of those trees died as anticipated. The 2 that survived had grown together and I didn't do a plunge cut between them like I should have. On smaller trees, it seems like it would be hard to cut deep enough without cutting so deep that the tree comes down early and makes a big mess out of everything.

/ Anyone ever had to clear thorny Locust trees? #50  
Water locust thorny trees! I am concerned about getting flats on the Mahinda 5010 tractor while clipping the pasture. Or my truck while riding through! Now and far into the future, but not sure how much the latter is a concern. It's because of what we always called Water Locust trees, incredibly thorny monsters. These things have thousands of thorns several inches long that are like nails, like super big hypodermic needles. If you've never seen one, check the image at the bottom. Growing up on the farm, we had to bushhog the pastures and we'd get flats from these thorns. So, what to do. How do you get rid of these? I could hire a forestry mulcher that has tracks and he could certainly do it. But how long would you need to not drive in that spot!

A couple of years ago in this same pasture, we cut some in the open pasture with a chainsaw and polesaw and carefully stacked every single limb and made brush piles. I am now going to burn those and hope every thorn burns! But I now need to clear a heavily infested spot, dozens of trees to reclaim that part of the pasture. What is the best method is the question. And also how long these thorns can remain a pest. Like, many years before they rot?

These trees are beautiful trees otherwise and make a great conversation topic; I would like to save a couple of the more picturesque ones but I worry about them shedding a limb here and there and... flats. The trees also makes great firewood but dealing with the massive thorn clusters, yikes. I suppose that these trees are cousins of the honey locust tree. I wish they were just black locust or the thornless honey locust variety.

GivenFile
Rent/hire an excavator to clear them out and pile them all for burning. Steel treads, operator in a safety cab. Once cleared use a bush hog to keep them down.