New 3050 CVT Update

/ New 3050 CVT Update #1  

Jackfr

Gold Member
Tractor
NH WorkMaster 33 Ford F5000 NH T 4.90 Ford 2110 JD555B
Here is an update from my original thread

"New 3050 CVT"

Four days after my last post on "New 3050 CVT" and a little over 16 hours on the tractor the Hydraulic pump let go while I was pushing manure up in the manure pit blowing oil out the side. Not a problem I figured these things happen. The owners manual says not to tow the tractor without disengaging the transmission. So I blocked the wheels and following the instructions in the operators manual I reached up behind the left rear tire to the front of the axle and felt for the bolt I needed to back out to the stop or Flange "see attached picture" (not much room to get there and more difficult in the dark) and backed out the bolt but the flange or stop was not there and so it came all the way out. First major problem! Then it says to turn the other bolt 13 degrees counterclockwise using 60 foot lbs of force until the internal stop is contacted to release the transmission then screw the other bolt back in to lock it disengaged. Using a 3/8" ratchet with a 13mm socket and definitely not 60 ft pounds it turned all of a sudden approx. 180 degrees feeling like something internal let go. Second major problem! But it was now disengaged and we were able to move it. The dealer came and got it on Wednesday replaced the pump and we found out that the trans had to come apart to repair the transmission disconnect shaft along with a parts order. So a week and a half later on Monday it returned. The dealer was great he agreed that the proper flange was not on the side of the trans (the correct one is there now) that there were upgraded parts internally and it would all be covered under warranty.

So the moral of the story is if you have a 2013 3050 CVT make sure the correct stop/flange(Item 3 in Picture) is on the side of your tractor before using the owners manual (that comes with the tractor)instructions for Recovery Transport Preparation for towing.

Flash forward Utopia I did the 50 hr service on the tractor the day before yesterday and was able to get the fuel filter and oil changed with and oil band wrench with a flex handle without removing the loader.

We are now having problems with the pto switch and the transmission vent which are both being sent down to me to replace rather than the 6 hour round trip to the dealer. The pto switch when turning it on and off sometimes will cause the yellow warning light to come on the dash which locks out the pto and the only way to reset it is to shut down and restart the tractor. We were getting a gurgling/cavitation noise from the power steering and sometimes the power steering would stall if I was using the loader at the same time I was turning. Seems that there was some type of notice sent out to check the transmission vent. I found mine stuck closed after removing the left rear tire fun(transmission made a hissing noise when I removed the vent). The rubber was fused closed to the steel so no venting and new vent is on it's way. Most of the gurgling/cavitation noise and stalling is now gone as I did a temp repair to vent piece.

Hopefully once I get all the bugs out of it it will work out ok.

Attachments

• Preparation for towing.pdf
    313.3 KB · Views: 195
  • Flange.PNG
    Flange.PNG
    74.9 KB · Views: 689
   / New 3050 CVT Update #2  
I sure am sorry to hear of all your problems with the 3050 Boomer. Mine has 76 hours on it now and not one single problem and I've been working the day lights out of it this week. I am tearing down a 5,000 square foot wood and sheet tin barn and have moved thousands of board feet of lumber to the burn pile with the front grapple fork and have moved 18 pieces of Pecan processing machinery to the new barn much of which weighs 1100 to 1500 pounds each.
Wow, After reading your post about the missing transmission disconnect parts on your Boomer I immediately took a flashlight and went out to inspect mine. Sure enough I also do not have the external lever etc. as per the manual. My local dealership will get a call first thing tomorrow morning!

/ New 3050 CVT Update
Utopia let me know how you make out.

My dealer said they had to update parts inside the trans also so it would work as described. Not just change that outside flange and locking bolt. They also suggested that if I need to tow the tractor in the future that I should jack one wheel off the ground and rock the wheel back and forth to help disengage the transmission. Seems that an internal roll pin broke on the disengage shaft causing the tear down of my trans to repair. The instructions say you need 60 ft lbs of force to disengage, there is no way I had that much force on a short 3/8" ratchet especially lying on my back twisted around and squeezed up in there to get to it. It was hinted that there might be a different set of instructions for the disengage setup that came with the tractor. That is strange why was a supplement not sent from NH with the tractor and why when they ordered the new replacement parts and installed them it is now the same as in the manual? Makes me wonder if the transmission that is in the tractor was a left over from earlier model and the newer ones will have that upgraded disengage system as described in the Operators Manual?? Bottom line though the dealer has been great and took care of things.

Utopia I forgot to mention when changing the fuel and oil filters I had the loader raised with the pistons blocked with angle iron and got the filters out from the front squeezing them along the rail and hydraulic lines. Hardest part was getting band wrench up behind the fuel filter as there is a fuel line right against the back side of the housing.

I'll update you with the other problems when the parts get here

Jack

/ New 3050 CVT Update
Utopia
Did you ever hear anything back from dealer on trans unlock not as same as manual? Have you had any problems with PTO switch? I'm on third one still having problems with tractor cpu locking up and have to restart the tractor to use PTO, when I turn it on and off more than once. Switches test ok when they are first installed then test bad after only a few uses no continuity sometimes in off sometimes in on position. Also internal test software gives code 44 & 45 in both on and off only suppose to show 45 in on position and 44 in off position. Sometimes I only have to wiggle the switch in the off position to get a code 45?

Has anyone else had similar problems with a 3050?? or these plastic PTO switches?

/ New 3050 CVT Update #5  
I mowed 15 acres late in the Fall but usually mow 4-6 hours at a time so I have not used my PTO switch enough to tell if it has any problems. So far so good with such little use.
My dealer is checking with New Holland on my lack of external parts for the transmission disconnect but so far they seem baffled. The newer 3050 Boomer they received that is on the lot does in fact have the correct external parts so I am in a holding pattern at the present time. It's hard to believe that New Holland does not know what is going on but so far they are keeping my dealer in the dark....

/ New 3050 CVT Update
Thanks for the update. I only have problems when I turn the PTO on and off then on again, so you might not experience what I am, as you are turning it on once and leaving it on for an extended time. Let me know if find anything out from the dealer

/ New 3050 CVT Update #7  
There must be a bad batch of switches being circulated in your area. They have been used for years and are a standard part on many brands. I have two JD units that are 12 And 15 years old and their PTO switches have been turned on and off thousands of times with no problems at all. I wonder if all your switches have the same batch number?

/ New 3050 CVT Update
I plan on checking that when I take this one out as I still have one on the bench that I haven't returned for credit yet and it has a date on the wire along with a number.

/ New 3050 CVT Update #9  
I finally heard back from my salesman at the dealership by email. He stated that they had been contacted by the Mother Ship and the "updated" parts for my Boomer 3050 CVT transmission "engage/disengage system" were on the way and would be installed once they arrived. This sure has taken a long time but at least I see some great effort on the part of my local dealership. I wonder how many Boomers are missing these parts and why NH is being so quiet about replacing them? Maybe their lawyers and accountants figure it's cheaper just to replace units when a customer complains rather than make a wholesale recall on a ton of Boomers. As we all know the bottom line is always the dollar.....;)

/ New 3050 CVT Update
Thanks for the update Utopia. here's mine. the switch problem is really not a switch problem after all even thought the onboard software says so. It seems if you watch close when you turn the pto on off on and the cpu locks up, for approx. 2 seconds a trouble code pops up "5080" in the dash then goes away and is never stored on the onboard computer. I found this out by luck watching the screen when the cpu locked up. It seems a notice was sent out that says check all grounds etc. check software version reload most recent software version or replace TCU. So my problem is one of the above or all of the above. This is an intermittent problem which is part of the problem, sometimes it works fine other times it doesn't, sometimes you have to turn the switch on and off multiple times to make the problem happen. Nice why doesn't NH just let us know about these problems instead of waiting for someone to complain!! Great for customer relations. I am also having a problem with a gurgling noise (sounds like cavitation)in the power steering system, the steering stalling and a long delay in the transmission shifting from reverse to forward. Seems that the transmission has a vent problem. You can check this after running the tractor a while the gurgling noise starts and steering stalls, shut the tractor down and open the transmission fill cap and listen for a hissing noise(vacuum). Seems this was also something that NH knows about (vent on top of transmission not working properly). Bottom line my tractor was shipped back to the dealer again today 3 hours each way, to hopefully fix the problems after 80+ hours of headaches in about 9 weeks which 2 weeks of this time the tractor was at the dealer for the first problem. This time it will be there at least a week. My dealer has been great trying to get it straightened out and calm me down. He tells me it will be fine once we debug and fix it. I am a 40+ year Ford/NH customer! I own 2 Fords a 65 F5000 and a 73 F2110, a 92 Ford/NH F6640, and traded a 2002 NH TC45DA for this thing. This tractor is definitely not the quality of a Ford or an earlier New Holland. What happened to quality control and customer satisfaction? Assembling in Mexico instead of the USA might be why! Why are they trying to hide problems not fix them?? I'll let you know how things work out. I wish I had kept the TC45DA even though the HST transmission was tired and didn't like hills anymore with excess of 3500 hours it still was dependable!! It would have been a lot cheaper and less headaches to replace the HST transmission when it finally died then buying this thing!!!! I guess I got blinded by all the whistles and Bells in that Cadillac Escalade Jim I should of stayed with the plain Jane at least it worked when I needed it!!! Jim don't even think of trading yours.