Meat Grinder recommendations

/ Meat Grinder recommendations #31  
@gsganzer - We have gone through a couple Food Savers, the first one we had was actually a really good machine... 2nd one was ok...

We now have a Weston Pro-2300 & I believe we are going on 5+ yrs with it. It is big & heavy but has ben a great vacuum sealer. Ours is used many, many times a week (if not daily) so it has a permanent place on the counter in the pantry & is always plugged in ready to go.. If it stopped working tomorrow I'd buy another one or their newer unit, but we use it all the time...
It's good to know they can last - I bought a Weston 65-1301-W Pro 16" last year and used it to seal ~20 gallons of turnips and several bags of corn on the cob. So far this year it's been used to pack 10 gallons of corn.

Would probably be used more if it was left on the counter full time, but my wife likes to have lots of clear counter space -- and I've grown used to having it for some things (like making homemade pizzas - thick crust with topping piled deep)

Only problem I've had was occasionally needing to wait a few minutes for it to cool, but that was really only a problem last year since I'd filled multiple bags and was doing final sealing in batches. Worked much better this year to create a batch of about 10 bags, then do the final sealing of them as each was filed.

/ Meat Grinder recommendations #32  
Wow, those Weston units really seem nice. Definitely a step above what I've been using. While searching Weston, I came across this meat processing equipment supplier. They seem to carry top notch professional equipment at all price points.
Meat Processing Products

/ Meat Grinder recommendations
Wow, those Weston units really seem nice. Definitely a step above what I've been using. While searching Weston, I came across this meat processing equipment supplier. They seem to carry top notch professional equipment at all price points.
Meat Processing Products
Interesting website. Is Weston considered a top of the line brand?

/ Meat Grinder recommendations #34  
Thanks for that link. For most of my cooking/kitchen equipment I've mostly switched to buying from Webstaurant as I figure that (for the most part) if I buy things meant for a commercial kitchen it should last me quite a while for personal use (even though almost every meal I eat is made in my own kitchen).

Have looked at LEM grinders, but haven't gotten one (yet).

BTW the large cafeteria style food warmer/hot pans can be extremely handy for food use -- or other alternative usage (actually bought a few to use as oil catch pans when changing the oil on my tractor -- far cheaper solution than most automotive offerings) ...and full sheet pans have also been ordered for non-kitchen use. 😁

Adding link to the hot pans/steam table trays: https://www.webstaurantstore.com/52...ans-and-hotel-pans.html?filter=size:full-size

/ Meat Grinder recommendations #35  
Interesting website. Is Weston considered a top of the line brand?
I'm not sure if they're top of the line, it seems like there are a couple other brands that are true commercial, but they definitely seem like they cross into the commercial domain of more robust build and features. Seems like they're heavy homeowner, light to mid commercial.

JJP
We have a number of restaurant supply stores in/near Dallas. I agree with you on the food warmer pans, I have stainless food warmer pans of various sizes that I use when grilling or for large gatherings.

/ Meat Grinder recommendations #36  
Northern tool has a one hp grinder.

/ Meat Grinder recommendations #37  
Bought a Lem meat grinder from Cabelas years ago. Built like a tank, really well designed and easy to clean, cannot think of anything negative about it. Really happy I didn't go for the cheaper copies.

/ Meat Grinder recommendations #38  
Eddie, I also bought a Cabela's grinder almost 15 years ago now, the 1 hp version I believe. It was a #22 neck and it has reverse. The larger neck allows you to cut meat into larger pieces, saving time. The reverse has not been a significant benefit. I just looked and the new version comes with the coarse and fine grind plate, just like mine did. I found that the medium grind plate was "just right" and so I would recommend purchasing that as well. I didn't have great luck with the stuffing attachments, and found a dedicated stuffer was far superior.

The best addition I've done recently is a foot operated on/off pedal that allows me to grind directly into meat bags, using a stainless funnel I also purchased seperately. Much quicker and the meat lasts just as long a vacuum sealing it.

I am so glad I bought the one I did, although I felt really silly setting it up the first time for my first deer. It just seemed like so much overkill. Now, probably 100 animals later (your friends love to use your grinder), it is still perfect, I've had to do nothing to it.

Thank you for the great review. Cabela's used to be my go to store for all things outdoors back before the internet. I loved getting their catalogs in the mail!!!!

Sort of an update to this thread. Karen shot a nice buck yesterday and I'm going to pay $130 to have it processed because I haven't bought a meat grinder yet, and she wants it all made into ground. We can shoot up to 4 deer each, and since my friend has shot all those hogs, our deer numbers are way up. We plan on getting as many as we can into the freezer this year, but I do not want to pay that much money to have them processed!!!

I'm probably going to buy the LEM 1 1/2 hp processor this week. I should probably do it today because its the only size that I'm interested in that will be available for delivery next month. The other sizes are sold out, and based on the comments on here, and the reviews on Amazon, it seems like the one that will last us the rest of our lives. We will only increase our use of it over the years, especially with the cost of everything climbing so quickly!!

254788672_4802213253135611_3294513452746824524_n.jpg