Cold Rolled or Hot Rolled

/ Cold Rolled or Hot Rolled #11  
I even bet 1/8" U-channel would support it fine. Maybe spray the inside with undercoating to protect the rod?

/ Cold Rolled or Hot Rolled #12  
IMG_1147.JPG

Glad you are thinking of safety. 1/4” cold rolled would be fine. This one is made of flat stock welded like a channel. Easy to deploy and store on machine. Rubber bumper so the metal never touches the rod. Real ones are secured with substantial hardware so they can’t slip out under load.

/ Cold Rolled or Hot Rolled #14  
How much are you willing to bet? A life?
It would depend on loader size and if one brace per side or one per cylinder. Also, it depends on the geometry of the cylinder and the framework. The brace for smokeydog's loader looks very appropriate for the size and geometry and I probably would have went thicker if I made it. What if a person has a loader 1/4 the size and only wants to brace it so the loader is half way up where the geometry is much more favorable? I think the brace for the dump bed of my RTV was only 3/32 at the most.

/ Cold Rolled or Hot Rolled #15  
Here is what I made for the loader on my BX2230. 1 1/2" square tube with one side cut out with plasma cutter, 1" washer cut to fit over cylinder rod, and a 1 1/2" shaft collar sliced in two and a 120° piece cut out to fit over trunion on end of cylinder.

Attachments

• IMG_20190107_162935393 (Custom).jpg
    IMG_20190107_162935393 (Custom).jpg
    752.6 KB · Views: 172
  • IMG_20190107_162941164 (Custom).jpg
    IMG_20190107_162941164 (Custom).jpg
    720.4 KB · Views: 156
  • IMG_20190107_163008703 (Custom) (2).jpg
    IMG_20190107_163008703 (Custom) (2).jpg
    849.4 KB · Views: 160
   / Cold Rolled or Hot Rolled #16  
I DIY'd a pair for my FEL recently.
I used plain 2 x 2 angle but welded washers on both ends that I slit in such a way to create a 'U' that I then welded on the ends.
My goal was to 1- spread the contact area, 2- to protect the seals on the cylinders.
I basically let gravity hold them snugly in position once I gently lower the FEL.

I know one was sufficient but a pair is additional insurance.
(and I had lots of angle stock)
Bright paint used to identify them as dedicated 'tools'.

/ Cold Rolled or Hot Rolled #17  
Here is what I made for the loader on my BX2230. 1 1/2" square tube with one side cut out with plasma cutter, 1" washer cut to fit over cylinder rod, and a 1 1/2" shaft collar sliced in two and a 120° piece cut out to fit over trunion on end of cylinder.

That’s straight up quality! I like it!

/ Cold Rolled or Hot Rolled #18  
The safety prop on the M59 shown is factory OEM. Like to think they engineered appropriately to be safe. Common in construction equipment. Wish it was utilized more on ag equipment. Really needed on larger tractors to access the engine bay. Agriculture and forestry industries are exempt from most OHSA rules.

Fabricating one for the smaller tractor is on my to-do list.

/ Cold Rolled or Hot Rolled #19  
I want some hydraulic cylinder safety props. 2 - 2" X 16" pieces of angle should do the trick. What would be better to use, hot rolled or cold rolled?
Angle iron only comes in hot rolled. Cold rolled is reserved for flat material and it's way more expensive.