Cold Rolled or Hot Rolled

/ Cold Rolled or Hot Rolled #31  
Come on Rick, you know what I'm talking about. A couple hundred pounds of compression I'm assuming that the op is concerned about for a few minutes while checking the oil. A day long repair or service job would prompt anyone to take the 5 minutes to drop the loader completely.
I was being extreme with the 2x4 comments and possibly the op has a very leaky valve with rotten hoses in which case I'd make these repair repairs first.
Maybe it's just that I'm around loaders (big construction) where just the buckets are 5-6k pounds and this concern is more realistic.
I agree that steel is the proper method 👍
Claiming to have experience with construction equipment makes your recommendation more foolish and concerning.
There are people here that just don't know any better and could follow reckless and unsafe guidance like yours thinking you actually know what is safe or not.

/ Cold Rolled or Hot Rolled
I'm assuming that the op is concerned about for a few minutes while checking the oil.
No. This is to get the loader out of the way to gain some floor space during the winter. I don't want to remove the loader all together and leave it outside since I may need it for snow removal.

Next week, I'll be stopping by the steel supply center and look into picking up a couple lengths of 2" X 1/4" angle to make some cylinder props.

/ Cold Rolled or Hot Rolled #33  
No. This is to get the loader out of the way to gain some floor space during the winter.

Our barns are dirt floor and in the past we have cut down a cedar tree and set the extra tall post in the floor of the barn. Pull in the tractor, kill it, then let the bucket or hay fork down on the post.

Might not be a solution for you, our barns have doors on both ends.

If you can’t push the tree over or break it with the FEL under power, it will be strong enough to support the static weight of it.

/ Cold Rolled or Hot Rolled #34  
When I needed floor space and couldn't lower the loader all the way, I used a treated 4x4 post I had that was about 4 feet tall. I could then lower the bucket that was above the welder and other stored stuff and the post supported it.

/ Cold Rolled or Hot Rolled #35  
I'd get some square steel tube and cut the side out. Make some ears for it so that to install and uninstall it you need to push the rod further out. Safest way to do it.

/ Cold Rolled or Hot Rolled #38  
Angle iron only comes in hot rolled. Cold rolled is reserved for flat material and it's way more expensive.
I don't see how angle iron could be produced cold. That is too much of a bend to put into material cold... must be done hot.
rod come in cold or hot roller. I hate the hot stuff, its off in dimension.
Likely because it's hard to accurately account for material temperature at the moment it is formed. That determines how much the material will shrink, and final size after cooled.
Not to make this a hot rolled vs cold rolled debate. But they each have different properties so depending on what you are wanting as to what is best. Cold rolled is much more accurate dimensionally....but it wont cold bend without breaking.
Right, and CR will be stronger but (as you say) more brittle because it has already been cold worked. Cold working always increases strength and decreases ductility, and you can only do so much CW to a material before it breaks. Hot working does not change material properties. Take 1020, a common low carbon steel...

Cold worked:
Hardness: 121 HB
Yield Strength: 51ksi
Elongation: 15%
(harder and stronger)

Hot worked:
Hardness: 111 HB
Yield Strength: 30ksi
Elongation: 25%
(more ductile)

I taught materials science to mechanical engineers for 7 years, so this is up my alley!

/ Cold Rolled or Hot Rolled #39  
Tmeric7 please correct me if I’m wrong. Elementally little difference between HR or CR steel. CR has twice the yield strength due to the shaping process. Higher dimensional tolerance and better surface finish. Also cost about double.

Take piece of CR and stick it in a forge, heat to bend or weld it anneals back to HR strength in the heated areas. Mechanical fasteners preferred attachment to maintain strength.

General rule of thumb. Exceptions because there are so many alloys. Many considerations when designing equipment and fixtures.

Worked with making and cold forming cermets. Quickly cold work harden thru a rolling mill.

/ Cold Rolled or Hot Rolled
I decided to go the Commercial route. Got these from www.rpmstore.com.

Safety props.jpeg