Truck towing overloaded kills, driver gets felony charges.

/ Truck towing overloaded kills, driver gets felony charges. #21  
All indications point in that direction. After all, if he didn't bother with a drivers license, why would he bother with legal immigration papers? What I can't figure out is how a boat that expensive ended up in such a shoddy situation. A decent trailer and towing contractor would be peanuts compared to the boat cost.
Even though that boat isn't as big as that Trooper thinks it is, I gotta wonder; What's a boat like that doing in that area? It's probably got twin gassers for power which means, about the time it gets up on plane, it's time to slow down for whatever dock they're headed to. Probably on Lake Tahoe which is mostly a pond for a boat that size. I suspect about 42' long with an 8' beam. (they just started allowing 8.5' foot beam boats to be towed on the road. I don't think it's that new)

Somebody bought for use on that small body of water, realized it sucked and let it sit for years. Even down here, people over-buy on size and they sit.

My buddy's Scarab cost hundreds of dollars to take out every time we went on it. He's still got it and it just sits. He's putting new 502's in it, after which it will sit for another 5 years.

/ Truck towing overloaded kills, driver gets felony charges. #22  
And that makes it bad reporting? It makes it inaccurate statement from the police (maybe) at best, but has nothing to do with the reporting.

When you write a news story, you report what the authorities tell you as fact as they know it at the time. And you quote sources. "The source said it weighed 37K" I the reporter didn't say that. The source said that. If things don't add up amongst multiple sources, then you dig deeper if your editor tells you to.

I worked at a newspaper for 30 years, so I know a little bit about writing news stories. There was no bad reporting in that story.

Fair point.

We can only judge through our own eyes and our own background. No way I would have submitted that story with those weights. But, there's no way I would ever work in journalism either.

I guess it would have been too much too ask for them to give us the boat's make, model and length. I mean, they did seem to think the weight of the boat was kind of a big deal.

What a struggle it would have been to google: "Weight, 40 foot HooFlungPoo Boat"

1985 Wellcraft Marine Corp SCARAB 40/OS Standard Equipment, Boat Value, Boat Price & Craft Specs (They weigh them at the factory before engines are installed)

I guess I'm just asking too much and I should learn to live with less :)

/ Truck towing overloaded kills, driver gets felony charges. #23  
Obviously it was overloaded according to the manufactures recommendations.

The burning question that always comes up....is the manufactures recommendations enforceable?

AS many axles as are under that...I gotta think that the highway patrol is at least close on the weight. But if all those axles had functioning brakes....this accident would not have happened and that trailer would have stopped behind that truck just the same as a 2-axle 14k trailer hauling a tractor.

Curious to see the outcome. As others have said....being overweight wasnt a list of charges. Likely because none of the axles or tires were overweight on that rig. Simply lack of trailer brakes caused the truck brakes to overheat. And that could have easily happend an intersection two later if he was only towing the "rated" 21k if the trailer had no freaking brakes either

/ Truck towing overloaded kills, driver gets felony charges. #25  
They're calling it a 'yacht'? right .......smh

The truck looks like a dually and what is that smoke coming from the driver side rear?

/ Truck towing overloaded kills, driver gets felony charges. #28  
That doesn't look like a 37k lb boat to me.

Here's a 35k lb boat

Journalism continues to live up to its usual high standards

528238_451314364939116_1736121483_n-1b7e8870f6c5267e9ea4661baf5be609.jpg

It's powered by two 8.3 QSC Cummins --
Yeah uh, that looks like approximately the same size boat to me. Yours is just taller. The speedboat in this crash is freakin huge, man.

/ Truck towing overloaded kills, driver gets felony charges. #29  
Yeah uh, that looks like approximately the same size boat to me. Yours is just taller. The speedboat in this crash is freakin huge, man.
The number of axles on the trailer tells me it's pretty heavy

/ Truck towing overloaded kills, driver gets felony charges. #30  
It's also wider. By almost double. 15' beam. And it's almost certainly made stronger since it's an ocean-going vessel. Much stronger. And I doubt that little go-fast boat is sporting twin QSX Cummins.

I used to eat, live and crap boats. That little POS is NOT anywhere near 35,000 lbs. It's lucky if it's 20k and the trailer (it's called a 'quad' for the 4 axles) is maybe 4k. Looks aluminum to me. At least the front does.

I don't know where the Trooper got that 37k number. Maybe he looked at the Trailer's GVWR, the Truck's GCWR, added them up and came to the conclusion that the guy need a CDL to pull something that size for hire. Which you do.

Which is why so many hot-shotters use HD 2500/250 series. They're not as capable but the GVWR on a 2500 is 10k (that's changing, too) so you can pull more load. Up to 16k, without a CDL and all the other happy horse-manure that goes with it. You use a Class 3 (F350/3500 series) and the GVWR is 14k, which limits you to 12k towing. 26k GCWR is the magic number. Weird

RV's are exempt for personal use. And the last I checked, a boat is sure as heck an RV.

This is boring and I'm gonna get in trouble trying to educate people. I know what I know. I just don't know enough to be able teach it.