Real thoughts/experiences with military trucks

/ Real thoughts/experiences with military trucks #61  
In the seventies I worked for Zelligson Truck Co. in Tulsa OK , they salvaged US military trucks from around the world , stripped the chassis down to bare frame and built custom made trucks for half the price of new. every now and then an unexploded lost bullet would go off when they burnt off he body

/ Real thoughts/experiences with military trucks
So I got a little more info on the 4900
Has DT466 @225HP…. man that’s low on power…..
Has recently rebuilt Allison MT643 trans
Has tandem axle interlock air shifted
Has locking differentials air shifted
Hi/Lo transfer case air shifted
Has air brakes and air run to the back for air brake trailer
Has aftermarket AC in need of some work
10 nice, matched tires
Current PA inspection

Its a “light duty” tandem. Only rated for 46,000lbs. He thinks it has a 12k front axle and only 34K rears (I’m used to 40k rears). Still enough to haul 10 tons of hay with room to spare.

The truck was formerly an Army mobile hospital. Current owner purchased as surplus with hospital box removed. He installed a hydroseeder on it for several years. Hydroseeder removed and put on newer, more Highway-friendly truck.
Says truck runs excellent and has no issues and no significant leaks

Might be nice with a 20’ flatbed and an air ride seat

/ Real thoughts/experiences with military trucks #63  
go to the website steelsoldiers , also has free manual down load.

/ Real thoughts/experiences with military trucks #64  
Where I used to work we hauled oversize loads across northern Michigan to the port in Roger City. There the were placed on barges to ship through the Great Lakes. We first used over the road semi tractor, then wanted something bigger. Ended up with a military tractor trailer used to haul disabled tanks. I think it was the M911, or maybe M912. By Oshkosh maybe. Three axles in rear as singles, maybe one was lift, plus front axle was driven, ie 6x6 or 8x8. Been 10 years now. Steel Soldiers had info back then, didn't look there now. 45 mph was tops. And I recall it being over 102" wide, so permits were necessary for the tractor alone. Jon

Last edited:
Went to see & drive truck today. Other than 6x6, automatic and aftermarket AC, it’s very basic.
But everything works and it’s in good condition.
Rear axles have Detroit lockers
It was used by the Seabees on a Navy base in Florida, then brought up north 15 years ago. Not used in winter.

1638580926552.jpeg

Last edited:
   / Real thoughts/experiences with military trucks #66  
I’d like to see a comparison on the off roading ability of a locked tandem vs a 6x6 with the same tires and suspension on each. My prediction is not a lot of difference especially with road tires on the front.

The one in the picture has tandem axle interlock and Detroit lockers, so same out back as a 6x4 with lockers.
Given an extra axle up front pulling, a 6x6 would be better. Especially if the front axle is on better ground than the rear axle.

If the traction wasn’t any better, why would they be mass produced? Why would the military and utility companies buy them?

/ Real thoughts/experiences with military trucks #68  
The one in the picture has tandem axle interlock and Detroit lockers, so same out back as a 6x4 with lockers.
Given an extra axle up front pulling, a 6x6 would be better. Especially if the front axle is on better ground than the rear axle.

If the traction wasn’t any better, why would they be mass produced? Why would the military and utility companies buy them?

Obviously it would be better but how many times would it make the difference of getting the job done or not?

/ Real thoughts/experiences with military trucks #69  
Having all of the weight on driving wheels improves traction.

Bruce

Obviously it would be better but how many times would it make the difference of getting the job done or not?
For me? Almost everytime it’s used
We move a lot of hay in late summer and fall, when the ground is soft.
These single and tandem axle trucks are heavy and have stiff tires and suspensions, so they inherently get poor traction. A live front axle helps.