Real thoughts/experiences with military trucks

/ Real thoughts/experiences with military trucks #42  
Are there any kind of hoops you'd have to go through to get that truck legally to what you need it to carry and tow? Or is it already there?

/ Real thoughts/experiences with military trucks #43  
Are there any kind of hoops you'd have to go through to get that truck legally to what you need it to carry and tow? Or is it already there?

It would have to meet US emissions and safety standards. Europe is ahead of the USA in both aspects so it probably does. Rather or not it has the sticker to say so might turn into a problem.

/ Real thoughts/experiences with military trucks #44  
Between the purchase of the truck (even if a used vehicle), shipping costs...upgrading to meet US safety and emissions laws, it's quite unlikely this would be feasible
Than, one would have to consider parts availability...
Don't see this being a good option, compared to the surplus military vehicle
I know. I was just teasing Hay Dude. :)

That truck is not even in the price range that Hay Dude is looking for. They're asking $107,500 for that truck and $165,000 for the one with the crane and bed.

It would never be feasible, due to all the extra expense and processes to get that truck legal in the US, plus the lack of availability of all the maintenance parts and so on.

Again, just messing a little bit with the OP, but would make for a great truck for his purposes though and still be comfortable.

/ Real thoughts/experiences with military trucks
I know. I was just teasing Hay Dude. :)

That truck is not even in the price range that Hay Dude is looking for. They're asking $107,500 for that truck and $165,000 for the one with the crane and bed.

It would never be feasible, due to all the extra expense and processes to get that truck legal in the US, plus the lack of availability of all the maintenance parts and so on.

Again, just messing a little bit with the OP, but would make for a great truck for his purposes though and still be comfortable.
It’s ok ptsg I always enjoy your participation and knowledge in TBN threads. We think alike in lots of ways….
Im trying to walk the fine line between getting what I need and affordability
I did quite a bit of reading last night on the BMYs and the Harsco trucks. My findings so far are that it’s a lot of work, effort to get them into a road ready, practical use status. The traction and sheer toughness of them is undeniable and the price is unbeatable.
How you transfer the raw capability into a legal, safe titled over the road vehicle is another story.
I‘m “cheap” at heart. Not what I want,,,,Farming forces it.
But at the end of the day, I’m more likely going to have to spend to get a civilian 6x6.

/ Real thoughts/experiences with military trucks #46  
I've been following Dirt Perfect on Youtube as he has been fitting a dump bed on a 6x6 Military truck. He wants to retain the off-road ability of the truck as well as being able to legally drive it on the road. So he ended up having to extend the frame to fit the bed and also to fit a tag axle.

How much more work would it require to make that truck you're looking at road worthy? Looks like you can get it really cheap anyways.

/ Real thoughts/experiences with military trucks #47  
Buy it for $9000. Add a bed or whatever you need for your work. Use it. If not satisfied, paint it so it looks real nice and sell it for $15,000.

:)

Bruce

/ Real thoughts/experiences with military trucks
   / Real thoughts/experiences with military trucks #50  
I looked pretty hard at a 6x6 as a farm dump truck option-had a very hard time finding one that was already street legal and registrable in WA. Conversion/mod was an option but got fairly expensive in a hurry.

Ended up with a mid 80’s Ford LN700 with an 8.2l Detroit Diesel and Allison auto tranny- you want to talk underpowered, a whopping 190hp out of 8.2l of iron. Fully loaded (28k) it’ll do about 7-10 mph up my fairly steep drive and 0-60 mph on pavement by Tuesday! Not complaining-great ag truck for the minimal price I paid for it.