Good morning!!!!

/ Good morning!!!! #143,322  
Yesterday’s flat tire turned into a fiasco. The tire was miserable to get off the truck, the spare has issues, and the tire can’t be fixed. It was one of those days.

I did finally get out for a short ride about 4:30. Some country roads, gravel roads, farm access roads, and woods. Good thing I have a Bultaco with lights that actually work. Rarity in that world

Everyone enjoy your day

And stay safe out there

/ Good morning!!!! #143,324  
Happy New Year !

49F with steady rain, headed up to a high of 52F. A Dense Fog Advisory has been issued.

Both of us up rather late last night and this morning.

Hopper feeder refilled yesterday, the two sunflower tube feeders brought in, scrubbed out, and hung in the basement to dry. Will need to refill those today and get them put back out.

More work done down in the basement yesterday.

Second night of Indian food last night. Not sure who Raj has back in the kitchen now, but "mild" and "medium" heat definitely wasn't either ... more like nuclear ... :LOL:

Watched another 4 or 5 episodes of The Expanse last night, which is a lot for The Woman. She finds it so suspenseful that she has a hard time watching for too long ...and yet it is all too easy to get sucked into. Better than halfway through Season Two I think.

I noticed when I was in the refrig yesterday that there was a package of sauerkraut and a roll of hot sausage that The Woman had picked up during the last grocery run ... so it looks we are on for our traditional New Year Day meal of sauerkraut and sausage dumplings, likely with mashed potatoes. I'll probably make up a sheet cake.

Big Orange Cat's right eye is really weeping, not sure what is up with that. He's due to go into the vet this week if we can get him in.

Have been watching some of the Rose Parade this morning. Woman says She has a dilemma with who to root for in the Rose Bowl: Buckeyes or University of Utah (her alma mater)

Probably do some plant and fish tending today, get some grow lights set up back in the utility room in the basement for the plants that are hazardous to the cats.

Hope everyone has an enjoyable Happy New Year's Day (and Year) ... (y)

/ Good morning!!!! #143,325  
61 to 67 degrees this morning, then we got about .11" of rain, then the sun came out; nice short sleeve weather when I went the grocery store. And now . . 32 degrees, cold north wind, going for 18 degrees tonight.

/ Good morning!!!! #143,326  
Counters installed (finally)
IMG_0014.JPG

Been a good day.

/ Good morning!!!! #143,328  
60°F and rain this morning was the high at midnight, steadily dropping all day to 36° right now. Rained all day, and finally stopped within the last hour.

Put up a trolley for the dog lead for our oldest Border Collie yesterday, running from the corner of the sunroom out to a tree by the fence line. We had a ground stake, but she keep getting her lead caught on the corners of the deck. The trolley eliminated that, being eight feet high. She recently became a poo eater, and various recommended dietary remedies haven't worked, so the only option left was to keep her away from the other areas of the yard where the other two relieve themselves. She doesn't like it, but at least this gives her a little more room and almost no opportunity to get snagged ... and no more poo breath.

We almost never stay up until midnight on New Year's Eve. Wifey was in bed around 9pm, and I played around in the studio until about 10:30. We ate a late breakfast this morning, then had an early dinner of baked salmon with honey soy sauce glaze and a few sides. All delicious. She made black eyed peas, but she was the only one eating them (yuk).

Oldest stepson leaves to return to Texas early tomorrow morning. Long day of driving from here to San Marcos. Fortunately, the snow predicted at the end of the rain didn't happen, so they won't have to deal with that. Unfortunately, they all three (stepson, his girlfriend, and her brother) got sick in the last couple of days, so they get to sit in a car for 14+ hours while feeling poorly.

We'll probably take down the holiday decorations tomorrow. Other than that, no real plans.

Happy New Year, gentlemen.

... which reminds me, I need to find a new wall calendar for my office at work. Maybe pipe organs this year?

/ Good morning!!!! #143,329  
Met the new neighbours yesterday. They have family staying for Christmas and the family bought their huskys with them. I was rudley interrupted at 6.00 am by two huskys chasing my poultry past my loungeroom door. Managed to chase them off before they caused damage and then managed to catch one of them and tied him up in the barn. A bit of research around the neighbourhood tracked down the owners and led to meeting the new neighbours. The other husky turned up home about 6 hours later.
Dogs killing chickens is NOT cool. There was a husky from the previous neighbors that got a lot of mine. They tried to keep her penned up, but she'd escape and kill a couple chickens in a flash. People think it's no big deal..."It's just chickens." Now my new neighbors have bought a Catahoula dog, and she's going to be a chicken killer almost certain. Hasn't yet, but has grabbed feathers and chased them at least 3 times, each time fortunately someone was outside to stop her. Once they get the chicken blood in their mouths, IMO, they can no longer be trusted around chickens. Maybe if you put a shock collar on them and retrained them. Maybe. We've bought 15 chickens, and dogs and predators have killed 11 of them. Disease got 1 of them. We are down to 3. They are like pets. They let you pick them up, they'll come to you when you call them.

Next time someone tells me "It's just chickens", I'm going to ask how they'd like it if I brought home a pack of Rottweilers and turned them loose on their dog.

RNG and Roy, my shoulders vary but average about 70-75%. I lost my fastball, my golf swing, and anything of like movement.

It has been so nice and tropically warm down here. Like Florida weather. 82F today, going to below freezing and a windchill of 16F in the morning predicted. I guess I have to put up my shorts.

I've been driving my little tin can Toyota while waiting for new front brake pads for the malibu. Toyota got 38.6 mpg doing my normal fast highway commute. Pretty impressed. But the pads came in and got replaced Thursday night. Took me about an hour from getting the jack out to putting the jack back in it's corner. Paul, I would've had a hard time turning down a lift, but my barn is only 12' at the side walls, so not enough height for a lift. I might have still considered it for outside the barn. Anyway, also put a newer (much better shape) hood, with fewer hail dimples on Crumpelt Steelskin. It is of a different color, until I give it a cheap paint job. I would guess the whole hood only weighs maybe 20lbs at most, so there is the reason why new cars get such bad hail damage. Such thin metal. NOT because there's more large hail. Cars have to be lighter to try and get higher mileage.

Popgadget, nice photo of planes aligned up waiting. It's hard to beat a turboprop and warrant a jet for most folks, especially from a fuel/mile cost perspective. How fast does your turboprop fly?

Since the weather has been so nice, I decided to BbQ some burgers yesterday, man were they good. Hot sauce picante, guacamole, cheese, Leftovers got wiped out.

Son rode his GT80 for a while today. Kids are dog sitting for 2 different families. total of 7 dogs, 4 cats, and about 20 chickens.

Rich, I really like that bike. Is it an Alpina? Great that it is still handy, and fun to ride. It kind of reminds me of the older Honda TL125's stylewise. They must've stole it's styling from Bultaco or some other Euro company.

I got a fitbit for Christmas, according to it's data collection, working on the cars a few times, peeling away some insulation from the underside of my small back porch, plus all my steps, has given me enough exercise to be considered normal to higher activity.

Mostly, I may have missed it, but how many miles did you end up getting? Hope you have another great mileage year.

I don't believe in luck, but I did eat some Black eyed peas, because I like them.

RNG, sorry about your trip, and your friend's sister. Hope y'all get more rain to fill the lake.

LS, hope the new RV is a good one.

Get this. My friend is going to trade in his 2018 F350 Ford dually 4WD, for MORE than he paid for it 3 years ago. Only has 9,000 miles, always parked inside, shows like new. He paid about $58K and he's going to get about $62K in trade. He's going back to SRW single rear wheel, but a higher trim option truck. Will still cost him about $12K to upgrade. New trucks like that are bringing well over $74K. He will save a but load of taxes by trading in.

Other friend is almost done welding up and turning the undercarriage rollers and wheels on his older Takeuchi TL130 track loader. Old machine has over 7000 hours. He has built up everything with the 7 series mig wire, and the front and rear wheels he added a hard wire layer. He says he won't do that again, no matter what. I told him he'll have the nicest undercarriage of any tracksteer in north America. New small roller wheels are $250 each (need 10), and there are 4 big wheels that are $500 each, so $4500 vs all the welding and turning. He says he's spent at least $500 on mig wire, and he bought a nice servo controlled face plate to rotate them at a nice smooth speed for $600. He's also purchased new sprockets and tracks. Man, the undercarriage condition might be the biggest parameter for the value of equipment like this. He said he wouldn't normally have spent the money but the thing has been so darned dependable (Yanmar 4 cylinder), and he thinks the rest of it is in good condition. So this all set him back roughly $4500 plus a ton of his time to do all the welding and turning. He's an excellent mechanic, and would have no problem rebuilding the engine if it needed it.

Hope all of you have a blessed and Happy New Year. Prayers for all our team, especially those with health needs. I just got a call from my brother that my 92yo mother is having a friend take her to the hospital. Said she was outside and told him " I'm trying to get some fresh air to help me breathe". She can't seem to use her O2 finger device well. Not sure why. I can be down there in about 2 hours if needed. Said my prayers, now I need some sleep.

/ Good morning!!!! #143,330  
Good evening all. 58F for the start, rain, breezy, .8 inch rain in gauge. Rain ended 8:20, wind really kicked up near mid-morning. High temp was 62F at noon, drooped to 38F at 2. Low temp forecast 19F at midnight. Bike ride plan was to leave a 7:30, delayed till 8:30. ride was nice till noon, wind got cold, one rider had a flat, and first tube would not hold air, second tube worked and we finished ride in the cold and wind. Once home pulled batteries out of boat, then got fire going in insert. then nap. Watched college bowel games to finish day.
no Covid update on website today. Covid update: Cooke 4356 confirmed cases, 125 active cases, Montague 2812 confirmed cases, 84 active cases, Grayson, 16,928 confirmed cases, 410 active cases. Cooke 0, Montague 1, Grayson 13, new cases.
Phil good to hear all is well.
Ron enjoy conserving energy today. hope you can handle the snow.
Drew enjoy you indoor day.
Thomas surprised you are not getting snow
Roy hope shoulder is improving
Billy hope you are ready for snow
Dennis congrats on record :)
Bill love a good ham.
Paul good luck with shingles, hope they pass soon.
RNG weather sounds nice and about what you want :) glad you got cable fixed
Don glad whipper came through fireworks last night. Hope you get all your cold weather prep done.
Drew thanks for link. hope your trip goes well.
Ted congrats on new RV, pics when you get it. Nice to hear you got some moisture.
David good new on Sophie's Covid test. praying for her surgery.
Ken different way to start new year. nice pic
Rich hope the ride was as nice as the pics. sorry about the tire.
Gary good to hear from you.
RS enjoy your inside day.
Bird got .8 inch overnight.
David counters look great.
Kyle 6508 for the year. prayer for your mom
prayer for all, especially Jay/Peg, Kyle's daughter/friend PT from Covid, /mom o2 levels, Bird/aging issues/, Don/knee recovery /ring bearer/back broken & infections, Randy/FIL living alone adjustments /MIL covid, /new cancer surgeries /cataract surgery, PJ/FIL death, Roy/ palpitations, /angina, /shoulder, wife/ankle recovery, Billy/ wife fall, David(moss)/remodel/divorce, Buppies/good biopsy report, Thomas/gout, Phil/reflux/wife's eyes, Steppenwolfe/son-auto immune disorder, Grev/wife's eye, Ted/knee recovery/retirement, Doug and wife/health issues/nerve and pain/ wife's eyes, Ken/aunt fall injuries, David(sadamo)/Sophie's new eye surgery, Chris/neighbor's granddaughter and Covid issues, Scaredy/injuries from fall, Paul/ wife's disc issues, Gale and KY/ tornado victims, Bill/ getting care for DIL and Country.
stay safe and healthy you all.

Last edited: