Mowing Steep Hills

/ Mowing Steep Hills #1  

Avenger

Veteran Member
Tractor
LS XR4145C
I need a new mower.

Long story, but now I have to mow more often and more areas. And the grass is on some pretty steep hills. I cannot simply go up and down them, as there is a fence at the bottom and my house at the top. I have to side-hill most of it. A push mower is simply out of the question, as it will take me days to mow this much with my bad knees. I need a riding mower.

I currently have a troy-built little 30 something inch, mower. One where you pretty much sit on the engine and there is no weight over the steer tires. Its in good shape but simply does not work on these hills. Center of gravity is way too high, cannot turn at the top of the hills, and that's if it can climb up the hill! It's got the power, but not the traction. It was given to me.

I need something that can side hill a steep hill, have the traction to climb the hills, and wide enough to not take all day.

What type should I be looking at? Zero Turn? More of the conventional? Which brand do you recommend?

/ Mowing Steep Hills #2  
Z turns are traditionally awful on hills, no matter what direction you try to run them. Ventrac maybe about the only option if they are very steep. Also most mowers will not operate past 25 degrees for very long. 30 degrees intermittent in some cases.

/ Mowing Steep Hills #3  
I disagree with Randy, zero turns handle hills better than a rider. Mine's a commercial unit and would put it up against any rider out there. It's wider than my old rider and has a lower center of gravity.

/ Mowing Steep Hills #4  
I disagree with Randy, zero turns handle hills better than a rider. Mine's a commercial unit and would put it up against any rider out there. It's wider than my old rider and has a lower center of gravity.
Until you loose traction. Some may do well on slopes, most do not. Lots end up at the bottom of hills, in ponds, in ditches, etc.

/ Mowing Steep Hills #5  
Last edited:
   / Mowing Steep Hills #6  
If that steep not much to mow I try heavy duty trimmer.

/ Mowing Steep Hills #7  
I'd say more information is needed about the slope to offer an appropriate suggestion.

BTW, I had a 30" rear engine Troy Bilt rider a few years ago for a very brief period. The rear wheels would slip once I got on much of any kind of slope. I sold it to someone who had a flat yard. Made both of us happy.

/ Mowing Steep Hills #9  
I've a Ryobi 48v ZT480e that is good on hills now that I put these Carlisle ribbed tires on it. Our back yard is quite steep. With original turf tires, I had to either go straight up and back down, shifting over at the top. With these tires, I can go across and every forward down the slope.

Before, it could be wicked on a double slope.

Mows up to 2 acres/charge. No gas. No Oil. No belts. No gearboxes. No sparkplugs nor air filers.

From Home Depot.

Attachments

• New Tires on ZT 5 May 2022 (1).jpg
    New Tires on ZT 5 May 2022 (1).jpg
    371.8 KB · Views: 146
   / Mowing Steep Hills #10  
I sidehill cut with a Simplicity Citation XL with a 61" deck. It's no problem cutting on a side hill that I could only previously mow with a push mower. This thing is way stable on the hill that is behind my garage and behind the house. (with a fence as you mention) Traction is not an issue with the wide tires and weight of the machine. My lighter Simplicity XT2500 could only previously cut up and down and not even the whole thing for fear of crashing into the garage or fence. Lighter is not better in that case. Heavier and wider tires really make a difference.
Mine was 6g's at the local dealer in Pa. Your money your call. I do have a Steiner 420 rated for these hills too. The XT Citation is faster and rides better though.