Mowing Steep Hills

/ Mowing Steep Hills #11  
I need something that can side hill a steep hill,
what's the slope? Degrees?
The Ventrak is supposed to be good for that
My local waterworks maintains a reservour behind a huge man-made levee. They mow with this machine whose cab corrects for a side slope dunno who makes it You could get yourself out of the picture entirely and get a robot

/ Mowing Steep Hills #12  
BCS walk behind tractor works great on slopes with a sickle bar if your doing less than 10 acres. Also make sure you get one with steering brakes and differential lock. They are good exercise too, I love using mine.

/ Mowing Steep Hills #13  
I disagree with Randy, zero turns handle hills better than a rider. Mine's a commercial unit and would put it up against any rider out there. It's wider than my old rider and has a lower center of gravity.

A commercial ZT with bar tires will ride a hill like a boss. A residential ZT with turf tires is garbage. A residential ZT with bar tires is somewhere in between.

/ Mowing Steep Hills #14  
I've heard good things about hillside use of zero turns with steerable front wheels, compared to free-swivel wheels.

Bruce

/ Mowing Steep Hills #15  
761404D8-E6C3-4A07-9D3F-25796C7B0857.jpeg

This is what I use to mow my steep hills and hillsides, the Cub Cadet Pro Z 560 KW S. It’s not cheap but I highly recommend it. And, it’s built like a tank.

Mike

/ Mowing Steep Hills #16  
See post 5 above...

How much are you mowing and what's your budget?

/ Mowing Steep Hills #17  
VENTRAC, STEINER, POWER TRAC those are your best options in my opinion

I'm planning for a Ventrac 4520 in the next year or two

DESIGNED FOR SLOPES​

30 Degree Slope

58% GRADE​

4520 with Dual Wheels

25 Degree Slope

47% GRADE​

4520 with Wheel Extensions

20 Degree Slope

36% GRADE​

4520 with Standard Wheels

Last edited:
   / Mowing Steep Hills #18  
I have cut my 25-30 degree bank with a commercial walk behind for the last 20 years. I rolled it once during that time due to an inconsistency in the terrain. With bad knees, I suspect a walk behind is not an option for the op.

I have looked hard at the dual wheel Ventrac, but honestly, I would sooner let the area go wild before spending that kind of money in my situation. I think the Ventrac is about the best machine for hills that is not crazy expensive like some machines out there. I did modify a backup zt for slopes by adding aggressive chevron type tires that are filled with fluid. So far, it seems to stick well enough on this slope, but there is one section of my bank that I do not feel at all comfortable on.
I have also heard good reports on the Cub Cadet steerable zt on hills.

/ Mowing Steep Hills #19  
Bar tires on a ZTR help and you can drive along the slope. My carlisle WT300 tires are a day-night difference in traction on slopes.

A 4WD SCUT/CUT with a 3PH finishing mower backing up the slopes works.

/ Mowing Steep Hills #20  
Ventrac would definitely be the answer, but that sticker shock is going to be brutal