Who want to chat about plasma cutters?

/ Who want to chat about plasma cutters? #61  
Not in the shop to look and it's too dam hot to go outside but the one I have I bought 10 years ago and it was over 6 grand. Like wit most things, you get what you pay for and that includes plasma cutters.
Agreed, all my current plasmas are Hypertherm after having some other cheaper brands in the past. Currently have a Powermax 45, 85 and 105 (the 105 is for sale) at home, at work I have a PM45, 105 and a MaxPro200.

I was curious what you had since non of the Hypertherm models I'm familiar with have a way to sense material thickness.

Sent from my SM-G715U1 using TractorByNet mobile app

Last edited:
   / Who want to chat about plasma cutters? #62  
My hypertherm does not calculate thicknessnes. I have to set material thickness into the software manually. I have a chart telling me settings needed fir various thicknesses. My table has auto touch height controller after it starts, which sure is nice.

/ Who want to chat about plasma cutters? #63  
Guys, I don't think it's different electrode, it's just the hole size in the nozzle tip was I was referring to.

Like look here: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08LGRGL44/?coliid=I2F2TMCPEA2LMD&colid=TJYU61LC7LU&psc=1

See, they recommend 0.030" for 110v, 0.045" for 220v.

Then I also found this guy: All about plasma cutting

Relevant part:

This is what I have found to work with most plasma cutter nozzles/tips that most people have in their shops or garages. NOTE: Orifice hole size 1mm = .03937"

20 amp tip - 0.6mm/.025" - 15 to 20 amps - 50 to 55 psi

30 amp tip - 0.8mm/.030" - 21 to 30 amps - 55 to 60 psi

40 amp tip - 0.9mm/.035" - 31 to 40 amps - 65 to 70 psi

50 amp tip - 1.0mm/.040" - 41 to 50 amps - 65 to 75 psi

60 amp tip - 1.1mm/.044" - 51 to 60 amps - 65 to 75 psi

70 amp tip - 1.2mm/.047" - 61 to 70 amps - 75 to 80 psi

80 amp tip - 1.3mm/.051" - 71 to 80 amps - 75 to 80 psi
Very Interesting , First I have seen of the SG 55/AG 60 Nozzle difference in size, I knew it was common with other models and torches.
I will measure with a drill bit and caliper what I have right now.
This gets more complicated on the LOTOS LTPDC2000d since they have changed the torch somewhat since my unit was sold.

Thanks, Learn something new everyday.

/ Who want to chat about plasma cutters? #64  
My hypertherm does not calculate thicknessnes. I have to set material thickness into the software manually. I have a chart telling me settings needed fir various thicknesses. My table has auto touch height controller after it starts, which sure is nice.
I have the serial data port on my cmc plasma setup at home so the program sets the amperage on the plasma automatically, still have to change consumables of course.

The MaxPro at work does not have that ability and you have to change the amp manually, more then once I've changed the torch side (it's a quick change assembly) and forgotten to change the plasma source. 50amp through 130amp nozzle not too bad. 130amp thought a 50amp nozzle NOT good!

Sent from my SM-G715U1 using TractorByNet mobile app

/ Who want to chat about plasma cutters?
   / Who want to chat about plasma cutters? #67  
I have a Hypertherm 45XP on my 4'x8' waterbed table. The plasma is very dependable and compact but the table is always giving me issues (Bulltear) I've cut 3/8" plate with it and it can cut 11ga at 100ipm. clean cuts and consumables last but I have a few filters to keep lines dry.

/ Who want to chat about plasma cutters?
Well I ordered the Bestarc on Amazon. Less than $200 right now! Dunno if it's a Prime Days thing or what, but that price is crazy. Will report back when I get it and have a chance to play around with it. I also ordered a consumables kit with the 0.030" nozzle tip holes...so we'll see how this guy does with this setup on 110v.

/ Who want to chat about plasma cutters? #69  
That's a Prime Days special for Prime members.

/ Who want to chat about plasma cutters? #70  
I have a Hypertherm Powermax 30 AIR that handles my needs well. Depends on what I'm doing the tool of choice may be the plasma, a cut blade in the 4-1/2" angle grinder, sawzall or portable band saw.

The ability to plug into 120 or 240V and the self-contained compressor make the Hypertherm pretty handy.