Scary, life threatening, mistake

/ Scary, life threatening, mistake #11  
Always good to learn something new. We trailer horses and often when unloading at a show grounds are on not level surfaces. Trailer wheels will always be chocked when loading or unloading now...... and truck in 4WD. The horse does not weigh as much as that tractor I am sure, but no taking chances.

/ Scary, life threatening, mistake #12  
Apparently not a thing that seems like an obvious issue.

I've seen it happen twice, and neighbor told me about his experience. Parked on a fairly steep gravel road, while backing a Cat off the trailer and his pickup backend picked up, everything started moving downhill, jackknifed the truck and trailer. He ended up riding the whole works down the hill, until the road started to curve to the right and he went into ditch and scraped along the side up the hill, until he stopped. Lucky it didn't go the other direction as that side of the road is a 20 foot drop.

Thanks for bring it up RSKY.

/ Scary, life threatening, mistake #13  
At first I didn’t really care for the tip up ramps on my PJ trailer but now appreciate them to no end because of the built in support that takes no effort other than tipping the ramps in place…

/ Scary, life threatening, mistake #14  
That’s actually pretty common. Even with supports on the ramps it can still happen because a lot of times they’re too short to reach the ground. The safest thing is to park the truck at the bottom of the hill. If that’s absolutely not a viable solution the trailer wheels need to be scotched and put the truck in 4x4 if equipped. Having a second person hold the brakes would be preferable.

/ Scary, life threatening, mistake #15  
I almost sent my trailer into the back of my truck, loading an Allis. I hadn't secured the hitch well and it flipped up from the extra weight. I don't like the "flip up" ramps, I was worried about them being the correct height, every time. My Sure-Trac has great ramps. I added weld on stabilizers, like these.

/ Scary, life threatening, mistake #16  
Happened to me ONCE and lesson learned. I was loading the tractor onto the trailer and just as the front of the tractor was on the trailer, the whole outfit started rolling down hill, forward, took me a second to figure out what was going on and then I drove the tractor further onto the trailer, which brought the back of the truck back onto the ground and the parking brakes did their job. They say you learn from your mistakes and I can assure you that was a very memorable learning experience. One not to be forgotten.

/ Scary, life threatening, mistake #17  
So far the PJ ramps have been spot on in varying conditions…

Almost foolproof because flipping sets the supports plus the ramps up provide one more fail safe.

Years ago a truck was pulling over with the vehicle on the tailer back against the upright ramps and the tie down strap dragging on the road… something didn’t go right.

/ Scary, life threatening, mistake #18  
Another solution may be the tilt trailer if you are shopping around. The guy I bought my tractor from had a nice setup.

Attachments

• IMG_2678.JPG
    IMG_2678.JPG
    392.7 KB · Views: 78
  • IMG_2679.JPG
    IMG_2679.JPG
    343.7 KB · Views: 79
   / Scary, life threatening, mistake #19  
One of my stupider moments was when picking up a tractor, using a friend's rear wheel drive van and a rented trailer. The trailer was set up for the wheel width of a standard car so the tractor wheels were very close to the inner edges of the ramps. We chain tied the tractor to the trailer.
Something just didn't feel right about the road that we took to the seller's location. It was very rolley and some sections seemed very steep. It had just been re-graveled, and the rock was loose and several sections crossed land bridges across small valleys. The shoulder's dropped off steeply into the valleys. The seller said that the road was the only way in or out.
We were heading down hill just before the last very steep section, I told the friend that he better speed up or we'll never crest this hill. He didn't speed up and 3/4th of the way up the hill his van started to spin the tires. The van stopped and then started sliding backwards towards the shoulder. He set the parking brake, as we continued to slide and said we might have to jump out.
I could not accept losing my just bought tractor, paying for a wrecked trailer, and my friend loosing his van. I ran back to the trailer, unhitched the front and back chains, started the tractor and backed it off the still moving trailer. Soon as the rear tractor wheels got on the ground, everything stopped sliding. We were about ten feet from the shoulder and the drop off.
With out the weight of the tractor, my friend could drive up the hill. I followed him till there were no more hills and we re-loaded the tractor and got it to my place.
This could have gone so very badly.