Returning batteries for warranty claim

/ Returning batteries for warranty claim #51  
   / Returning batteries for warranty claim #53  
I had a Walmart battery last an unbelievable 18 years in my Ford 8N, when it finally failed I replaced it with another Walmart battery and so far it’s also working fine.

/ Returning batteries for warranty claim #54  
Best thing you can do for your batteries is to put them on a NOCO charger like this one. You will keep them working at Optimum for the length of the battery life. (which can be 10 years as I've seen from my testing and use) Your money your call. I'm doing it on mine to ensure they last.

I have a Noco10 genius myself. Its been able to resurrect quite a few dead batteries over the years.

/ Returning batteries for warranty claim
You need more puish out of that alternator. It needs to charge over 14 volts.
Agree and it may well run over 14 volts. I have only seen it run at idle about 13.4-13.7.
I did not check it at wide open throttle because the last time I ran it, the batteries were not a problem. I didn’t pay attention to voltage.
Since they are dead now, I can’t get an alternator reading at speed.
I’ll jump back on it this week. Baling not a big priority as we have just come off winter here.

Even after overnight charging, there’s just not enough spin up IMO for it to turn over.

/ Returning batteries for warranty claim #56  
They say the batteries are fully charged then you must
have a bad cell for them to be so low.

willy

/ Returning batteries for warranty claim #57  
It's still possible that the alternator is bad. Not so much as charging but modern alternators with built in regulators have an internal diode that prevents the battery from being drained with the engine off. Next time you run the tractor and have the batteries charged up disconnect the battery connection at the alternator. Then next time you go to start the tractor if the batteries are still charged you have found the culprit. Unlike the old time generators that generate electricity just by spinning alternators require some voltage to work. The diode prevents that drain when not in operation. Just my two cents worth.

/ Returning batteries for warranty claim #58  
Not helpful for your current situation, but next time buy from Costco. Interstate batteries free replacement within 3 years no questions asked
That and Sam's Club. At Costco they replace before I can finish my sentence. Trouble is they often don't carry the big industrial or AGM batteries except on-line.

I get those at Sam's Club and they replace readily as well but it's just a more laborious process to find people that are highly motivated to help you.

Last edited:
   / Returning batteries for warranty claim #59  
900CCA NAPA “Legend” Batteries dated 11/23 are at 12V and 700 CCA.

In 50* temps, they don’t have enough a$$ left to turn tractor over, so I took them back to NAPA.
NAPA dealer says “leave them overnight and we will test CCA tomorrow after long charge”.

They hook a NAPA tester up to it now and it says 12V 702CCA on one and 12V and 698CCA on the other.

I’m sure an overnight charge will bring them back to life, but will it last?

I’ve had to jump them a couple times and after tractor is running, makes about 13+ on the voltmeter and theres no electrical system light on.
I would take the battery to a reputable parts store like advance or auto zone ,or another napa store and ask them to do a slow charge and then a load test for you..tell them you will pay for it but most likely they will say no charge...a napa store is only as good as the knowledge of the employees working there..and it looks like your napa store has a broken link or 2 in their employee chain...

/ Returning batteries for warranty claim #60  
It is your battery , why they don't last is beyond me, Problem is the place you buy from can turn in and replace batteries at no cost to them, They actually are out nothing ! they just don't want to deal with the problems of batteries . Just plain tell whoever you are dealing with to replace it or you get a hold of someone that will !! I have had very good luck with Orileys Auto Never questioned any problems I have ever had, And just a note Batteries aren't what they used to be !! Nothing is what it used to be any more !!