Reloading ammo

/ Reloading ammo #1  

Gary Fowler

Super Star Member
Tractor
2009 Kubota RTV 900, 2009 Kubota B26 TLB & 2010 model LS P7010
How many folks here do reloading of pistol ammo? Any recommendations for brand of reloading equipment to buy? I did some small time reloading back in the 1970's using a Lyman turret reloader. It was pretty easy to use loading 44 mag and 357. Now next door neighbor want to go in with me to buy a reloader and thinks a auto-progressive loader like the Dillon XL650 would be the thing to buy. We could get into reloading with all the tools on a turret press for around$500 but the Dillon is going to be more like $1500 (or more). I have looked at reviews on it and they are all great (5 star) but also some reviews on comparison with Lee vs Dillon vs Hornady auto-indexing progressive claim Hornady to be best overall in ease of use, price and performance.
I just don't know if we would really need that kind of capacity what with Dillon claiming 800 rounds per hour, reality might be 400-500, but still much more than we would need. We are both retired so time is available with hardly any limit, but money is not unlimited.

I am looking for some real experiences from owners of reloading equipment as to what we really might need. I don expect us to be shooting more than 200 total rounds per week max . We are looking to be reloading mostly 45 Long Colt cowboy loads.

/ Reloading ammo #2  
Long ago I bought a plain old RCBS Rock Chucker single press. I still really like it. Slow and steady. But then I don't ever reload a lot of volume, usually a hundred or so at a session.

- Jay

/ Reloading ammo #3  
For 200 45 Long Colt a week, I'd go with the Lyman, with that it wouldn't take long to punch those straight wall cases out.

I own a Lyman turret and load 9mm, 38/357, 223 and 44 mag on it. I'm also 1/2 owner of a Dillon 550b, but it's set up at my friends house, since my outfit was already installed at home.
The Dillon does load a heck of a lot faster once you've got everything set up, adjusted and filled up, but as fast as I can knock them out at home, I simply don't bother.
\
I like to take my time with my reloads, and I really prefer what I've got versus an "assembly line" product. Just my opinion

PS - If you go with something non-progressive, make sure you also get a hand primer. They're not expensive at all and I usually prime my cases at night while watching TV

/ Reloading ammo #4  
Progressive loaders will turn out handgun ammo in quantity, but it takes quite a lot of fiddling to get them working properly. (I had a Lee progressive.) Not for those without mechanical ingenuity.

I was happier with a Lyman turret press, perhaps a T-Spar? Much easier/faster to use than a single station traditional press, slower than a Dillon Progressive but I felt 100% confidence in my pistol caliber output with the Lyman. I especially liked loading my own cast, 160 grain, Elmer Keith semi-wadcutters. I never primed on any press I owned. I always primed as a separate operation, and I always cleaned the primer pockets.

I toured Dillon in Scottsdale, AZ. twenty years ago. The plant was well organized and clean.

The Lee dedicated priming tool is really good and its cheap.

/ Reloading ammo #5  
I have a single stage Lyman press and Lyman & RCBS dies. Of course, I only shoot 200-300 rounds/year.

/ Reloading ammo #6  
I have a Dillon 550. I've been using it for 20 years and its a good setup. It does take some time to get it setup and running but once you catch on, its very easy. If you don't want to spend that much on a 650 look at either the 550 or the Square Deal. The 550 and 650 can do just about any ammo, rifle or pistol, but the Square Deal is pistol only. I'm setup for 9mm, 45 ACP, 44 Magnum, 223, and 30-06. I you can find components cheap, you can make very high quality ammo at a good price.

/ Reloading ammo #7  
A Dillon 650 is nice. A number of my friends use them. I personally use a Dillon Square Deal B but then I only load pistol and 45 acp at that. One of the great things about Dillon is they do not care who originally purchased the loader. They will still provide warranty work for it.

It is a 4 stage progressive, only good for pistol rounds and uses Dillon dies. It does not take the standard dies available. Which can be a drawback if you want to load multiple calibers. In my case only shoot 45acp or 22lr so not a problem for me. I can easily load 200 rounds an hour. More if I really want to push them out but as stated above prefer to take my time, enjoy it and do it right.

I have a spread sheet that will figure out the cost of reloading (including the purchase of the equipment). If you are interested in a copy PM me with your email address.

/ Reloading ammo #8  
I've reloaded for years and wound up shooting more than my Lyman single or turret press would allow me time to process and went to progressives, I've slowed down quite a bit and no longer need that much capacity. I think one of the Lyman turret models would be a fine choice.

No doubt Dillion makes really good equipment, I just don't see a need for that kind of machinery or expense. You will still have a lot of money spent with the polisher/tumbler, measure, trimmer etc.

Just my opinion naturally.

/ Reloading ammo
Thanks all, that pretty much confirms my thoughts. While the Dillon would be nice and crank out lots of ammo, I think the setup is going to be a real PIA and I don't think I would benefit much in time savings since that is pretty much all I have is time since retirement. Since we would be doing this as partners, I think division of labor would work fine in doing the case cleaning while other person works the reloader.

/ Reloading ammo
I was happier with a Lyman turret press, perhaps a T-Spar? I never primed on any press I owned. I always primed as a separate operation, and I always cleaned the primer pockets.

The Lee dedicated priming tool is really good and its cheap.
Is the Lee priming tool fairly easy to prime with? Do you get hand cramps using it?