Reloading ammo

/ Reloading ammo
Thanks for all the responses. Now to talk to my partner and see what he wants to do. Gun show Friday, Sat and Sun so maybe an opportunity will come up.

/ Reloading ammo #22  
If you only shoot a few hundred rounds/yr then rds/hr means a lot less if it means you only hit the loading bench once or twice/yr & have to relearn what you've forgotten since the last session. Reloading is a matter of doing everything right, and though opinions will vary on which gear to use it's all about the operator.

I've been loading for 10 yrs with most of what came in a Lee Challenger Press kit, mostly rifle and often metric calibers. During that time I've gathered various RCBS O-frames, more Challengers, some old Pacific C-frames etc that I've yet to use beyond my original Lee.

Measuring tools/methods are the most critical, as good or bad ammo can be loaded with the best or worst equipment depending on how wisely it's employed. Do your reading/refreshing on the basics. It may be argued that $$ can be saved by rollin' your own, but in the long run you'd need a quota of output to prove it.

If you reload for any reason other than the sheer enjoyment and satisfaction, or tweaking for certain guns, you may live to regret a big up-front investment. (Guys like me won't pay much for a complete suite of gear if we only want part of what you're passing along someday.) Start small & see if it's something you'll keep doing for years.

Any of us who've been in the game long enough could write a book on our own procedures, tools, tips, etc. IMO the least helpful will be which presses, dies, etc you'll be happy with. Newest & 'best' or old-school gear won't matter if you can git 'er done safely. btw, be wary of 'old' data, as powders aren't necessarily identical to earlier versions with the same name (H-110/W296, etc)

/ Reloading ammo #23  
I used to shoot match rifle and skeet. I had the RCBS Rockchucker and RCBS dies, plus a manual powder dribbler and a micro gram calibrated beam scale. I had a Lyman case trimmer and primer seater to resize every case for match ammo, every case was cleaned and displacement weighed after resizing. My Hornady bullets were also displacement weighed for extreme accuracy. I had a 25-'06 douglas bbl on an 8 inch twist that would group ten shots at .275 inches at 600 yds from a bench rest. I used only double-based IMR powders from DuPont then, vacuum sealed in 1lb cans and fresh. I also loaded .223. 270 .30-06 and 8mm ammo for varmit and large game hunting on the prairies. For shotgun I had a POSNESS-WARREN duomatic turret loader in 12, 16 and 20 guage. I still have all the gear, but do not load anymore, don't shoot much either here in the woodsey maritimes There are very few match shooter around here, excepting for the military guys who shoot Bisley level Lee_Enfield in military FMJ .303 3000FS handloads. Those guys can cut some impressive paper<600 yds. Dunno why they bother.

Lately I have been reading about the . Lapua .338 stuff, but I do not own such a weapon, so that is a pipe dream. There is also freaky calibre called a .420 Watson sniper round, but the 300 gr. spritzer boat tail bullets are not sold except to police and government. A hot loaded .420 can muzzle out at 5500 fps. Now that would be fun to shoot on a long range butt, with a muzzle brake. Such a rifle is not manufactured except as a custom gun...and would be darned expensive with a titanium breech for the extreme pressure in the chamber. Hand-loading is very fascinating to learn in detail. There is a lot to cover in that science. But if you like the satisfaction and challenge of putting them all in the same hole at a thousand yards then hand-loading is the way to go. I have never had the chance to try a Barrett .500 from a bench, and that would sure be something to try on a watermelon at a mile or so distant. Hand guns, not so much.

I like the bang and the spotting, even when I miss. Skeet are challenging too, but that can get expensive and boring. I have an acquaintance who bought himself a very pretty 17,000 dollar Custom Krieghoff skeet gun O/U in 12 guage, but he makes a living doing skeet. I think that he must be OCD. He won't let anyone even handle that gun, but he puts pallets of ammo through it at his skeet range. He says its no trick to bust a century twice a day, but I haven't seen anyone do that. I made a couple of centuries over the years when I was doing skeet with a fitted Browning Citori. I was a lot younger then. If I tried it now the recoil would make me cry. I hate steel shot and poly chokes, btw.

Yeah, right. Two Centuries a day, every day. NVFL IMO. Kreigoff or not

Last edited:
   / Reloading ammo #24  
A NRA Action Pistol match takes 192 rounds. I'd work on them for a few weeks a little in the evenings. Wife would be like "what are you doing in the basement so long?"

Single stage was fine for my bolt action rifles but as soon as I started trying to feed semi-auto rifles and pistols it became a chore!

What is it you guys say around here all the time? .... "buy enough tractor" ... "buy once cry once".

Besides ... in this day & age, you can't have 'too much' ammo .... just look at today's headlines!

/ Reloading ammo #25  
A NRA Action Pistol match takes 192 rounds. I'd work on them for a few weeks a little in the evenings. Wife would be like "what are you doing in the basement so long?"

Single stage was fine for my bolt action rifles but as soon as I started trying to feed semi-auto rifles and pistols it became a chore!

What is it you guys say around here all the time? .... "buy enough tractor" ... "buy once cry once".

Besides ... in this day & age, you can't have 'too much' ammo .... just look at today's headlines!

Yep, USPSA/IPSC or IDPA is also go to the range on most club matches with at least 200 rounds. It got old fast with my Lee Challanger.. Swaped it for a Dillon Square Deal B. Swapped that for a RL550B. Which at the time was under $400 and is about $439 without dies. Use what ever standard dies you like.

/ Reloading ammo #26  
I wanted a .338 Lapua too until I researched reloading components. You can actually reload for a 50 BMG much cheaper! Military brass is abundant ... .338 brass, not so much and mucho $$$

I used to shoot match rifle and skeet. I had the RCBS Rockchucker and RCBS dies, plus a manual powder dribbler and a micro gram calibrated beam scale. I had a Lyman case trimmer and primer seater to resize every case for match ammo, every case was cleaned and displacement weighed after resizing. My Hornady bullets were also displacement weighed for extreme accuracy. I had a 25-'06 douglas bbl on an 8 inch twist that would group ten shots at .275 inches at 600 yds from a bench rest. I used only double-based IMR powders from DuPont then, vacuum sealed in 1lb cans and fresh. I also loaded .223. 270 .30-06 and 8mm ammo for varmit and large game hunting on the prairies. For shotgun I had a POSNESS-WARREN duomatic turret loader in 12, 16 and 20 guage. I still have all the gear, but do not load anymore, don't shoot much either here in the woodsey maritimes There are very few match shooter around here, excepting for the military guys who shoot Bisley level Lee_Enfield in military FMJ .303 3000FS handloads. Those guys can cut some impressive paper<600 yds. Dunno why they bother.

Lately I have been reading about the . Lapua .338 stuff, but I do not own such a weapon, so that is a pipe dream. There is also freaky calibre called a .420 Watson sniper round, but the 300 gr. spritzer boat tail bullets are not sold except to police and government. A hot loaded .420 can muzzle out at 5500 fps. Now that would be fun to shoot on a long range butt, with a muzzle brake. Such a rifle is not manufactured except as a custom gun...and would be darned expensive with a titanium breech for the extreme pressure in the chamber. Hand-loading is very fascinating to learn in detail. There is a lot to cover in that science. But if you like the satisfaction and challenge of putting them all in the same hole at a thousand yards then hand-loading is the way to go. I have never had the chance to try a Barrett .500 from a bench, and that would sure be something to try on a watermelon at a mile or so distant. Hand guns, not so much.

I like the bang and the spotting, even when I miss. Skeet are challenging too, but that can get expensive and boring. I have an acquaintance who bought himself a very pretty 17,000 dollar Krieghoff skeet gun O/U in 12 guage, but he makes a living doing skeet. I think that he must be OCD. He won't let anyone even handle that gun, but he puts pallets of ammo through it at his skeet range. He says its no trick to bust a century twice a day, but I haven't seen anyone do that. I made a couple of centuries over the years when I was doing skeet with a fitted Browning Citori. I was a lot younger then. If I tried it now the recoil would make me cry. I hate steel shot and poly chokes, btw.

Yeah, right. Two Centuries a day, every day. NVFL IMO

/ Reloading ammo #27  
I am not as pretty as the gal in the video, but I can load a heck of a lot faster, as I keep 8 to 10 bullets (depending on caliber) in my left hand, and 6 to 8 cases in my right hand. I don't recommend the optional straight handle, I use the included "ball" handle as it allows me to keep the cases in my right hand. 500 to 600 an hour is a overall speed rate, not an actual real world rate. Just like a submachine gun might have a firing rate of say 800 RPM.. that doesn't mean you can actually fire 800 cartridges in a minute.. because there are mag changes, and cocking handles and that sort of thing to consider. Not to mention the asbestos glove you will need to hold on to it. Likewise the RL550B can probably go at 500 to 600 per hour, but you will need to fill the primer tube, replenish powder, etc. not to mention having hand cramps. Actual real world is more like between 200 and 300 per hour. Of course if someone else was helping, well then you could go faster.

/ Reloading ammo #28  
Started reloading in 1980. Bought an RCBS RS3, it was just before the infamous Rockchucker came out. 10 different cartridges, 12 at one time. :D I haven't found a reason for a progressive to date. :thumbsup: I can tell you the 20 gauge MEC 9000G took me a long time to get running perfectly. One thing about single stage loaders is that when you have all your components lined up and you are in the groove with case, bullet and crimp. I feel like a real part of the process sort of a well oiled machine and a lot of cartridges get made. :cool2:

Also I like the hand priming tool I have (RCBS). You can feel the primer seat. You can over press and flatten the primers (they won't go off, that takes 80 lbs of pressure) just don't do that.
Hand cramps are not a problem. generally you run out of brass and wish you had more. :rolleyes: That's another reason I don't need a progressive, you run out of components too fast. :2cents: The fun part of shooting is pretty much over with here in NY. I'll be leaving here soon. When it stops being fun, well its time to move on. :censored:

/ Reloading ammo #29  
One can also run multiple single stage presses next to each other. First one deprime and size(and possibly seat new primer). Next one seat the bullet after dumping in the powder. Next one crimp if needed. If you get just the press as opposed to a reloading kit, they are quite inexpensive and you dont need any extra dies.

/ Reloading ammo #30  
I started out with the Lee Loader kit (the one you used a plastic mallet and a powder scoop.) I then progressed to a Lyman single stage. After many years I upgraded to the Dillon Square Deal. I got a screaming deal on a Dillon 550 B from a guy at work who was getting out of reloading, and sold the Square Deal to another guy at work. I can't see ever going back to the single station for anything other than my varmint rounds.
Bill