Census Jobs?

/ Census Jobs? #1  

Diggin It

Super Star Member
Tractor
LS MT125 TLBM
Anybody sign up? Good for retirees and others who don't work full time. Minimum pay is $14/hr, but some areas pay higher. Flexible hours, or so they say. I went ahead and signed up, but won't know for a while on the progress. Some weirdly worded questions, along the lines of ... 'how would others say to didn't react to not doing that?', or 'I don't usually adapt well to change' with a scale of how strongly you disagree.

/ Census Jobs? #2  
I doubt that a census might be conducted out here. The density is just too low. You could drive 100+ miles and only contact half a dozen homes. It would be OK where you have subdivision-like development and could walk, house to house.

/ Census Jobs? #4  
I doubt that a census might be conducted out here. The density is just too low. You could drive 100+ miles and only contact half a dozen homes. It would be OK where you have subdivision-like development and could walk, house to house.

They will be knocking on your door. They are supposed to check 100% of the population, whether they are here legally or not. In the 2010 census I encountered a female census taker out on an obscure road during spring breakup checking to make sure that there was nobody living there. I gave her my cell # in case she got in trouble, the roads she was travelling get pretty squirrelly that time of year. Later that year I went and checked on a friend's camp as he'd been sick and unable to visit; it's the only building on a mile of shoreline and until recently it was boat or foot access only. There was a census bag and questionnaire hanging on his doorknob, in case somebody lived there.

To the OP; if you are looking for a little extra money it won't hurt to sign up. I don't believe that you sign a binding contract, and aside from the money it might be an opportunity to meet some new people and get out of the rut which you seem to be in.

/ Census Jobs? #5  
I had a friend who did the 2010 census. He liked it. He did say however, you think you know the area, but when you go looking, you find a lot of houses in places you never knew existed. He also said a few people were wary/defensive/spooky.

/ Census Jobs? #6  
Dont knock on my door I wont answer.!

/ Census Jobs?
Waiting now. One step is a form for a background check. I'll have to see how invasive the questions are before deciding to proceed or not. These days I would NOT do the form for a security clearance.

It's a part time, temporary job lasting only a few months at most, so I don't plan on being overly detailed for something that will only pay a couple of thousand.

/ Census Jobs?
He also said a few people were wary/defensive/spooky.

Early double 00s, we had a standoff situation while they were serving a warrant. Took our version of SWAT over three days to work their way in along the mile driveway to the house. They had very strong grounds to believe the whole road/drive was booby trapped. I honestly can't remember now if they found any live ones that could have been hazardous. I only remember we had state, county, fire and EMS on standby for the duration including a helicopter.

/ Census Jobs? #9  
Good way to get mad money for a new attachment.

/ Census Jobs? #10  
I have got an interesting census worker story while grouse hunting last October

Our deer camp is way out in the middle of nowhere in Michigans upper peninsula. No paved roads and no maintained roads unless the loggers are in there cutting trees. Camp has three buildings with the oldest just over 100 years old and none have running water or electricity. My Malamute was out roaming around one morning when we were making breakfast and I heard her growling. I look out the window and there is a guy in bike shorts carrying a laptop trying to keep a log pile between him and my dog. My buddy goes out there to find out what is going on and he comes back telling us the guy is a census worker

The guy rode a mountain bike down 15 miles of muddy rutted roads with puddles that look like lakes. He was a determined individual

Last edited: