“Disappearing” Lynch Pins

/ “Disappearing” Lynch Pins #21  
30-some years ago, my neighbor told me not to buy 3rd world lynch pins (and he was a cheapskate). There's probably no other sources by now.

/ “Disappearing” Lynch Pins #22  
After loosing a few I learned to install them in the direction that will not allow brush to scrape them open. The tow bar for my tractor allows the hitch pin to spin, so I put the pin in upside down from normal with the lynchpin on top. Tat keeps the brush away from the lynch pin. Haven't lost one in years.

/ “Disappearing” Lynch Pins #23  
Only time I loose them is when I sit them down on a tire and drive off. I always have a bunch in the shop anyways.
I have large magnets that I put on the implement and I take out a pin I put in on the magnet. Same for the thumb screws that hold covers on.

/ “Disappearing” Lynch Pins #24  
I am inexperienced but it seems to me a lynch pin should not pop out if installed correctly. Two guys were running tractors at deer camp this weekend and had a spreader and rototiller come off the 3PH. One swears he had the lynch pin installed and it must have broken off....that seems unlikely too.

Seems more likely it was not snapped closed

Opinions?
I found out the hard way there is more than one strength of Lynch Pin. I have changed to
CountyLine Lynch Pin, 7/16 in., Heavy Duty, 22LPN007TSC in most applications. The ring that secures the pin is substantially harder to open.

/ “Disappearing” Lynch Pins #25  
I have conceded that the harder they are to get off / lose.....the slower/harder they are for swapping implements.

My two go-two attachments are a rotary mower and a rear blade. Both QH compatible so no need for lynch pins....

Only rarely use lynch pins now for things like plowing once a year.....or discing. Neither of which are actions that are prone to loosing lynch pins.

The quick x-change bucket on my bobcat 334 however.....uses a lynch pin. And have lost countless of them....especially when dinging out stumps. Root's will grab it and flip it open. Even the black ones are no match to roots when stumping. But surprisingly cotter keys last alot longer and less prone to loosing. Dont want to do anything like a bolt/nyloc....because I like to keep bucket swapping a tool-less endeavor

/ “Disappearing” Lynch Pins #27  
The quick x-change bucket on my bobcat 334 however.....uses a lynch pin. And have lost countless of them....especially when dinging out stumps. Root's will grab it and flip it open. Even the black ones are no match to roots when stumping. But surprisingly cotter keys last alot longer and less prone to loosing. Dont want to do anything like a bolt/nyloc....because I like to keep bucket swapping a tool-less endeavor
I rented a Bobcat E35 all weekend, kinda dizzy today from 15 hours of spinning around. Had to give them one of my spare linch pins, for the quick change bucket rod. I yanked like 30 -some stumps out, surely left one at the bottom of some hole.

/ “Disappearing” Lynch Pins #28  
I am inexperienced but it seems to me a lynch pin should not pop out if installed correctly. Two guys were running tractors at deer camp this weekend and had a spreader and rototiller come off the 3PH. One swears he had the lynch pin installed and it must have broken off....that seems unlikely too.

Seems more likely it was not snapped closed

Opinions?
Watch the lynch pins disappear at a sale or any gathering, evaporate, maybe. You don't forget to put them on after you have gone to all the trouble hitching it up really.

/ “Disappearing” Lynch Pins #29  
I have lynch pins holding the spindles in on the caster wheels on my mower, brush cutter, and snow plow. I lose several a year on the brush cutter. So much so, that I buy a half dozen and keep them in my toolbox on the trailer that I haul the machine on. If doesn't take much for a stick to grab them and pop them open, then it's just a matter of time before it's gone.
Take some baling wire (or electric fence wire) and fasten the flip bale to the pin. I had to do that when chopping down cover crop on my farm. I use the ones with the spring circle

/ “Disappearing” Lynch Pins #30  
I replaced all my lynchpins with master locks as big as would fit the hole. Haven't lost anything in 2 years.