1/4" or 1/2" hose for hydraulic side link on LS MT335H

/ 1/4" or 1/2" hose for hydraulic side link on LS MT335H #1  

DTLS

Tractor
LS MT335H
I'm installing a hydraulic side link cylinder that has this size port. .563"-18 ORB. It comes with these fittings .563"-18 ORBM X .250" NPTM 90* swivel. I purchased two 1/4" x24" hoses. (they were out of 36") I also have two 1/4" NPTF Male x 1/2" NPTF Female fittings coming in the mail so I could use 1/2" hose. They were on back order and I wasn't sure if I would get them in time so I bought the 1/4" hoses. I can return the hoses if needed.

So now it appears I can go with either size hose. What would your preference be. The 1/2" would be more robust but the 1/4" might be able to more slowly fine tune the position and be easier to tread in and be out of the way???

Side link.png

/ 1/4" or 1/2" hose for hydraulic side link on LS MT335H #2  
For that application, I would go with 1/4". It's not like you need a really fast side link cylinder and it's a lot better to be able to easily fine tune the side link. Same applies for a top link.

/ 1/4" or 1/2" hose for hydraulic side link on LS MT335H #3  
I'm installing a hydraulic side link cylinder that has this size port. .563"-18 ORB. It comes with these fittings .563"-18 ORBM X .250" NPTM 90* swivel. I purchased two 1/4" x24" hoses. (they were out of 36") I also have two 1/4" NPTF Male x 1/2" NPTF Female fittings coming in the mail so I could use 1/2" hose. They were on back order and I wasn't sure if I would get them in time so I bought the 1/4" hoses. I can return the hoses if needed.

So now it appears I can go with either size hose. What would your preference be. The 1/2" would be more robust but the 1/4" might be able to more slowly fine tune the position and be easier to tread in and be out of the way???

View attachment 803293
I'm curious,:unsure: are you planning on reworking the cylinder pictured? Because the pictured cylinder is not going to work for your application as it is pictured.
I typically supply 3/8" hoses for your application, but 1/4" is fine.
Not sure that 24" hoses are going to allow for the full up-down travel range of the hitch either.
Flow restrictors are highly recommended for both top & tilt cylinders.

Good luck with your project.:)

/ 1/4" or 1/2" hose for hydraulic side link on LS MT335H #4  
When I was installing TnT kits at the dealer, we used 1/4" hose for both cylinders.

/ 1/4" or 1/2" hose for hydraulic side link on LS MT335H
The problem is my tractor is 200 miles away for the time being.I have internet access down here and the tractor up there! So I have to research and purchase here and also fabricate and do any machining. Then load up the trailer bring it up and try it all on for size and take notes and bring back the parts that need reworking. I also have a little fun while I'm up there!
I will just have to see what needs to be changed on the cylinder. From the specs on the cylinder it seemed to have hole sets in the range I think I need and the 4" travel should be ok, but I guess I will find out.
Hopefully it is possible to get it to work. If not I have 30 days to return it. I worked for 42 years at a major player in the aggregate equipment industry. 15 years in metal fab and the next 27 in the machine shop so if it can be reworked I have experience doing that. If not I can return it, I was told by the seller, and I should have a better idea as to what I need to purchase.
Thanks for letting me know it won't work as shown though! I know from other forums that is your business and you are tight lipped about fixes so I won't ask. :)

I figured the hoses would not be long enough but that's all they had and I can return them or keep them for another project if required. Besides....they were on SALE! :)

Last edited:
I saw some "restrictor" fittings at the Fleet Farm where I got the hoses. They were 1/2" NPT female swivel x1/2" male NPT with a 1/32" hole drilled in them for flow thru. Does this usually give the proper flow for this application or can you drill that 1/32" hole incrementally larger as needed.

/ 1/4" or 1/2" hose for hydraulic side link on LS MT335H #7  
1/4" or 3/8", never 1/2".

/ 1/4" or 1/2" hose for hydraulic side link on LS MT335H #8  
The problem is my tractor is 200 miles away for the time being.I have internet access down here and the tractor up there! So I have to research and purchase here and also fabricate and do any machining. Then load up the trailer bring it up and try it all on for size and take notes and bring back the parts that need reworking. I also have a little fun while I'm up there!
I will just have to see what needs to be changed on the cylinder. From the specs on the cylinder it seemed to have hole sets in the range I think I need and the 4" travel should be ok, but I guess I will find out.
Hopefully it is possible to get it to work. If not I have 30 days to return it. I worked for 42 years at a major player in the aggregate equipment industry. 15 years in metal fab and the next 27 in the machine shop so if it can be reworked I have experience doing that. If not I can return it, I was told by the seller, and I should have a better idea as to what I need to purchase.
Thanks for letting me know it won't work as shown though! I know from other forums that is your business and you are tight lipped about fixes so I won't ask. :)

I figured the hoses would not be long enough but that's all they had and I can return them or keep them for another project if required. Besides....they were on SALE! :)
I have no issues with saying what is wrong with the unit that you have purchased.
The ball swivel end for sure has to be changed. Maybe the lower clevis will work, I don't have the specs of the unit that you bought, so simply don't know.

My recommendation would be to take the stationary (left side) side link off when you come back home and then you have in front of you exactly what you need to duplicate.

Just an idea, have fun while you are out at the property. :)

It seems like it was made for similar compact tractors. This is my first tractor so I am learning. My retracted length measured 17.125". I guess I didn't measure if the base end I.D. was .750" or .626".

"One New Aftermarket Replacement Hydraulic Side Link Cylinder That Fits Models Across The Following Brands: Fits Ford New Holland, Fits John Deere, Fits Kubota, Fits Massey Ferguson. Stroke Length 4" Closed Length 15.500", 16.500" & 17.500" Barrell Length 8.437" Base End I.D. .750" Base End Width 1.375" Base To Ball Ctr Length 3.875" Dim G (7) 5.625" Clevis Depth, .875" Clevis Width, All Clevis Holes Drilled For .625" Pin Replaces Part Numbers: Hyi40-0018, Slh01, 13-550, 13-599, 13-604, 13-780, Hsl2201 Nc

I should have brought the side link back with me for reference! I also am building additions on the garage and prepping for an addition on the house so lots going on.

/ 1/4" or 1/2" hose for hydraulic side link on LS MT335H #10  
I have no idea what you paid for it, but probably best to just return it. Get yourself a 2 1/2" dia cylinder with a 1 1/2" dia rod, 4" stroke (tube type) cut the ends off and build what you need from there.