10’ Western Heavyweight conversion to Tractor front 3 point hitch ?

/ 10’ Western Heavyweight conversion to Tractor front 3 point hitch ?
The way I see it, just needs to remove that frame with the lights and cylinder and add the two bottom pins. An A frame that pivots on these lower pins or thereabouts. Top link from the top of A-frame to the tractor and chain from the top of A-frame to the front of the plow, pretty much where the current one attaches to.

The tractor already has a quick hitch (lower link hooks) but if you need something else, that A frame style quick hitch could be a good solution for this case. Personally, can't see the need for this.

View attachment 766582

I already have the A frame available from my Pottinger mower. If I can run the chain from the plow to the top of the A-frame from the Pottinger, I think it could work.

Hay Dude, what is the reason for your new Avatar?

I liked the old one better.

Moss Road likes it.
I’m still trying to decide if I will keep it.

/ 10’ Western Heavyweight conversion to Tractor front 3 point hitch ? #13  
I already have the A frame available from my Pottinger mower. If I can run the chain from the plow to the top of the A-frame from the Pottinger, I think it could work.
That's almost half of the work done. 👍

Heres a 10’ Western Heavyweight for SSQA. Its not nearly as nice as the one I plan to buy, but it shows rigid connection, depending on the float of the loader arms.

1665953131618.jpeg

That's almost half of the work done. 👍

Yeah, I was saying the same in a PM to RustyIron. If I can weld a top chain slot or retainer hook on it It should be pretty easy, but I don’t know if the bottom 2 points on the Western Heavyweight will be similar width as triangle?

Almost need to build a “female triangle” and attach to plow frame???????

Triangle in picture below

1665953565880.jpeg

Last edited:
   / 10’ Western Heavyweight conversion to Tractor front 3 point hitch ? #16  
Yeah, I was saying the same in a PM to RustyIron. If I can weld a top chain slot or retainer hook on it It should be pretty easy, but I don’t know if the bottom 2 points on the Western Heavyweight will be similar width as triangle?

Almost need to build a “female triangle” and attach to plow frame???????

Triangle in picture below

View attachment 766612
That's what I would do. Keep that "male" triangle on the tractor. Then just make the "female" triangle attached to the plow. You could easily swap between the two implements that way.

I'm just not sure how well the float on the front 3 pt will work if you make a solid connection on the plow. I think it would be better to keep the chain between the female triangle to somewhere upfront on the plow. By adding the chain, you would also need to make the female frame able to pivot on the bottom.

EDIT: Alternatively and probably easier, make the female frame solid with the plow frame and run the chain as the top link.

Gonna take some creative dabbing to attach female triangle to existing plow frame.
I gotta get it here and get the pump & lights frame removed to see what I have.….

/ 10’ Western Heavyweight conversion to Tractor front 3 point hitch ? #18  
Here is some pictures of plows with the A frame in place. I tried to find bigger setups but only managed to find much much much smaller setups. 🤣 The concept is still there though. Also, looks like they do rely on the float of the 3 pt.

1665954943561.png
zugmaschine-kubota-stv32-mit-frontschneepflug-und-anbaustreuer-7358947.jpg

If my Pottinger will float over fields, same should snow plow.
Challenge will be the female triangle on the western heavyweight.

1665957183193.jpeg

I’m beginning to think just mounting the triangle to the tractor 3 point with lower tabs for the lower holes on the plow, then just use the plow chain to connect to upper apex of triangle like Rustyiron suggested.
The female triangle would be cool way, too.

IIRC, they sell “blank“ triangles for front 3 points.

Last edited:
   / 10’ Western Heavyweight conversion to Tractor front 3 point hitch ? #20  
Heres a 10’ Western Heavyweight for SSQA. Its not nearly as nice as the one I plan to buy, but it shows rigid connection, depending on the float of the loader arms.

View attachment 766611
I like that a whole lot better -- AND you will get a front mounted skid-steer compatible SSQA.

Another note: Since you already have the triangle style quick hitch, I'd get a "blank" female part that fits and mount that on the blade frame one way or the other. Weld if need be. Choose between that and getting a skid-steer compatible SSQA adapter to mount on the front 3pt hitch. I still lean toward the latter...

And by the way, I would be hesitant to get rid of much of the blade frame hardware because that stuff was designed to operate overall as a system. You might run into surprise issues otherwise.

Last edited: