10' mower on 60 hp JD 4520?

/ 10' mower on 60 hp JD 4520? #1  

radman1

Elite Member
Tractor
JD 4520, Toolcat 5610, Bobcat S300, Case-IH 125 Pro, Case-IH 245, IH 1086, IH 806
I have a an old, 3pt 6' rhino mower on my JD 4520. I would like to use this kind of mower:John Deere HX10 10' pull type mower

Will it work? JD 4520 handles 6' with no problems. Mostly cutting mild to moderately heavy grass. I would prefer 3pt, but no way to lift a 10' mower with 4520. I have a 15' batwing on a much bigger tractor (125hp) but want my boys to start mowing and don't want then on something that big.

/ 10' mower on 60 hp JD 4520? #2  
I'd guess if you can stay with only mowing 6"-8" tall material you'd be OK. When you get into the 12"-18" tall stuff - you might find the back end of your 4520 - with that "wobbly-shakin" motion as the engine bogs and the mower blades lose centrifical force.

You'll be stoppin' and waitin' for the tractor and mower to "spin up" again - IMO.

That's a heck of a price and it looks to be in very good condition, too! Hard to back away from a deal like that...

But, if the mower was an 8' pull-type; well, you wouldn't be askin' - you'd already be loadin' the trailer!

AKfish

/ 10' mower on 60 hp JD 4520? #3  
I believe the specs only require a minimum of 40hp at the pto. I would think you should be fine.

/ 10' mower on 60 hp JD 4520?
I am hoping my 50 pto hp will be enough. JD literature recommends 50 hp min for pull type and 80 hp for 3 pt. Not sure why the difference. On the literature for my 15' batwing, minimum hp is 55 hp. Makes no sense to me why only 5 more hp for 15' batwing.

My prior JD 5300 had 50 pto hp and ran an 8' 3pt just fine in most conditions.

/ 10' mower on 60 hp JD 4520? #5  
The difference between the 3pt and pull type specs is the size tractor needed to lift the mower. I would think the 4520 will handle it if your ground speed is matched to the job. However fast you wind up pulling it you will be able to use the full potential of the tractor, so it should be as efficient a way to mow as you can get.

If I were buying without getting a special deal I would consider the MX8 pull type, for my uses the MX6 is the easiest to transport on my trailer.

/ 10' mower on 60 hp JD 4520? #6  
I am hoping my 50 pto hp will be enough. JD literature recommends 50 hp min for pull type and 80 hp for 3 pt. Not sure why the difference.
Probbaly because you would need a heavier tractor to control a 3 point mower. It will tend to make the nose light when lifted.

Aaron Z

If I were buying without getting a special deal I would consider the MX8 pull type, for my uses the MX6 is the easiest to transport on my trailer.

If I did buy the 10', not even sure how to get it home. Load it sideways on trailer and remove hitch or load it normally and let it hang over the sides?

/ 10' mower on 60 hp JD 4520? #8  
If I did buy the 10', not even sure how to get it home. Load it sideways on trailer and remove hitch or load it normally and let it hang over the sides?

If you do not have to transport it far I would take the tractor to get it. If you need to go far put it on the trailer like you said but it will take 2 tractors with loaders to get it on and off the trailer. We have loaded them like that and simply lift it and back the trailer under it then lower it down.

If you have to go just 30 or 50 miles or so it may be easier to allow a roll back wrecker do the work. I could get it moved in my area for $75 to $100.

Chris

/ 10' mower on 60 hp JD 4520? #9  

Do you have farm plates?

How old are the boys that you don't want them to run the larger tractor?

If you do not have to transport it far I would take the tractor to get it. If you need to go far put it on the trailer like you said but it will take 2 tractors with loaders to get it on and off the trailer. We have loaded them like that and simply lift it and back the trailer under it then lower it down.

If you have to go just 30 or 50 miles or so it may be easier to allow a roll back wrecker do the work. I could get it moved in my area for $75 to $100.

Chris

The mower is only a few miles away. However, it needs to go to the farm which is 90 miles away. I have a deck over trailer. Let it hang over the sides and take my chances? "But officier, it only hangs over 8-10" on each side.";)