$1000 Coolant Change

/ $1000 Coolant Change #21  
What is the source of your water. Is it possible that it may be your water? Also when flushing most engines, all of the water will not drain out when finished, some engines may retain up to 50% of the system capacity. In the case of my L2800, it only took half of the system capacity to refill after flushing. I suggest also not using 50/50 premix for this reason. You may only end up with a 25/75 ratio of antifreeze to water. That will only give freeze protection down to 10 degrees. I do not know what will happen to the antifreeze solution when it freezes, but what you describe may be the result. When flushing it is suggested to add 100% antifreeze first. Add 50% of the system capacity and then top off with distilled water.

/ $1000 Coolant Change #22  
Do you have a Caterpillar equipment dealer near by? Go get two SOS bottles from them, fill one with your contaminated fluid, one with a new sample of the anti-freeze you used. Have them send it to their lab and in a day or two you will have reports on exactly what is going on. It is cheap. About 17 bucks/sample here in Canada, so should be cheaper there.

/ $1000 Coolant Change #23  
Although I'm outdated on the modern day cost of everything, I can't see why it would cost about $1000 to buy a new radiator or flush the old one and reinstall. Anybody?

/ $1000 Coolant Change #24  
I don't know, but if he does an SOS sample all guessing will be over and he will know what caused it and what not to do again. And if it is a problem with the coolant he will have proof to go after the manufacturer for damages.

/ $1000 Coolant Change #26  
Welcome to TBN Applepicker, and my apologies for all the (usually very intelligent) responders that have not bothered to read/understand your repeated statements that you USED THE EXACT SAME COOLANT AS WAS PREVIOUSLY INSTALLED.

I'm very interested to find what happened since I use the same coolant in my L4330, but have not had any similar issues (so far) [insert knock-wood emoticon here]. I find it hard to believe that Fleet Charge could have so radically changed their formulation that any "compatibility" issues could occur between two batches of the same product. I think if I were in your shoes, I might have the sludge coolant analyzed.

And with Kubota parts prices and labor costs, I can see where $1k would be about right, but I'd sure explore having Fleet Charge cover it!

- Jay

/ $1000 Coolant Change
Thank all of you who add their insight into this matter. Peak Corporation has offered to analyze a sample of my coolant. I contacted them today and they responded quickly. I just returned from my Kubota dealership and look at the inside of the cooling system. It looked like someone had spayed joint compound in the system. The radiator is completely plugged. When dry the white residue even feels gritty like joint compound. The total bill will be nearly $800($384 for radiator core alone). I will inform all of you of the outcome of the chemical test.

Anthony

/ $1000 Coolant Change #29  
oh man..that would suck. sorry for your issues. sure want to know what caused that

/ $1000 Coolant Change #30  
I would be surprised if a radiator shop could not boil out that radiator, removing the offending sludge.

The dealer makes probably 50% on the parts, so they have little incentive to try and save it.